No Corvids?

DUNKS

Every year for many years we have been plagued with an ever increasing in size family of crows and similar Magpies. I have watched them pulling fledgling pigeons to bits and  sitting on top of my nest boxes trying to get at the chicks. I have reduced their numbers a bit but to no effect.

This year not a one to be seen Crows or Magpies. Someone somewhere has done a sterling job, lets hope my little Blue tits appreciate it.

2 hours ago, DUNKS said:

Every year for many years we have been plagued with an ever increasing in size family of crows and similar Magpies. I have watched them pulling fledgling pigeons to bits and  sitting on top of my nest boxes trying to get at the chicks. I have reduced their numbers a bit but to no effect.

This year not a one to be seen Crows or Magpies. Someone somewhere has done a sterling job, lets hope my little Blue tits appreciate it.

That is very strange as I cannot see them being eradicated that easily, if you find out how they have been got rid of please let me know as it looks like you have sent them this way down South !

Perhaps covid has hit the corvids.

1 minute ago, Zeitgeist said:

That is very strange as I cannot see them being eradicated that easily, if you find out how they have been got rid of please let me know as it looks like you have sent them this way down South !

Perhaps covid has hit the corvids.

I  cant understand it either they are usually a bit thin on the ground until mid Jan when they appear. Not seen a one for months.

You've frightened them all down here, never seen so many. Plus the local "clattering" of Jackdaws. I've even started seeing a few Jays.

On a less corvidy note started seeing Lapwing down here. Used to see loads in near Lincoln when we were up that way.

Seems to be the same scenario here?

Normally a very local mixed flock of predominantly jackdaws, 20 ish  magpies and a hand full of rooks.

Nothing for a few weeks, hopefully they have found better hunting grounds never to return. Even the lone rook that used to sit daily on a neighbours tv mast croaking strangely has gone?

For reasons a plenty I have only been shooting again for a couple of years after a 30 year gap. But back in the day I used to have quite a large area to shoot over. I used to walk around daily and keep an eye out for all the crow and maggy nest building. When they had plenty of time to lay their batch I went round at dusk with a then legal 5 shot auto with AAA and blast the nest with female hopefully sat on. Quite satisfying

Edited by TRINITY