Lightweight Seat Options

Trenta

Hello guys, 

Does any one have any reommendations around lightweight seating options for the hide?  My son and I currently use a folding garden kneeler (see picture) each, however they are quite heavy and cumbersome to lug across muddy fields.  

So, any suggests of a lightweight seat alternative would be greatly apprieciated.  One consideration would be abilty to use on a slight slope, which might make non adjustable three leg stools tricky.  

Thanks in advance!

Trenta 

Kneeler.jpg

Use a bucket, use a dead branch of the right thickness to level it. I have mine in an old kit bag that has a shoulder trap. I can get in shells, shell decoys, ghost net, small tarp, couple of floaters and net poles. Before putting the bucket in I put a couple of layers of foam to provide comfort and raise up a bit. Quite a tall bucket that suits my height. I could sneak in a flapper and small battery but tend to drive to spot and unload if using batteries/flappers/rotaries.

When I have to carry a seat a fair distance, I now use one that I got from A1Decoys, but cannot see that they still do them.

If you google `Tall swivel camo stool seat` there is one on evil bay for £24.95. These tripod seats are far more comfortable than they look and for whatever reason, I never get backache or a sore bum when using one, unlike when I use a bucket type seat, however padded. They adjust up to a good height.

I`ve also got a `Commander` seat with a back rest which is good but pretty heavy and OK if driving to a hide position, but so far, still prefer the swivel tripod one.

OB

11 minutes ago, Morkin said:

I use a fishing type folding seat with a bag down in underneath come in handy to put cartridges food etc in plus it has a strap to chuck it on your shoulder or you can carry on handle . It's a scissor type folding hope this helps.

I have similar with an ally frame, with shoulder strap and bag underneath, a tads on the low sidefor me but the weight on long walks is an advantage.

I fully recommend the Bergara seats, they fold away, have fully adjustable legs, come in a heavy duty canvass carry bag, I bought two 2 years ago, one for my son and mine, I use it every time out and its very well built , strong and easy to set up, full 360 degree swivel, good back rest, my only criticism would be the seat is a little firm , so a small cushion is advisable. price is around £80 but in my opinion very well worth it . 

5 hours ago, lakeside1000 said:

I fully recommend the Bergara seats, they fold away, have fully adjustable legs, come in a heavy duty canvass carry bag, I bought two 2 years ago, one for my son and mine, I use it every time out and its very well built , strong and easy to set up, full 360 degree swivel, good back rest, my only criticism would be the seat is a little firm , so a small cushion is advisable. price is around £80 but in my opinion very well worth it . 

Yes, totally agree. Proper bit of kit, built to last.

15 hours ago, old man said:

Bergara quite heavy when distance and older age combine.

I agree we need at our age ( I am 73 with a bad back ) to keep the weight down, but on the other side you are in the hide for anything up to 5 or 6 hours, a comfortable seat with a good backrest , to me , is well worth the extra effort to carry it out to the hide. 

I have had some horrendous days perched on tiny flimsy stools or buckets that will not stay level, and do not offer either the height adjustment or the swivel seat that save on twisting the back and shoulders , often resulting in firing in a very poor shoulder mount position. The legs can be set at different heights to allow for sloping or uneven ground or set low or high depending on your preference.

I like to shoot sitting down but with the legs at full height its very easy to rise into the standing position to take standing shots as well.

Since I have had the Bergara I tend to hit a lot more birds as I can swing comfortably through the bird with good posture for the best shots without having to continually stand up to get a good line.

Its so easy to clean with a hose pipe spray to remove mud, a quick wipe down and a shot of WD40 on the leg adjusters and seat pivot bearing.

Its only my opinion but for me its a no brainer.👍👌

50 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

I agree we need at our age ( I am 73 with a bad back ) to keep the weight down, but on the other side you are in the hide for anything up to 5 or 6 hours, a comfortable seat with a good backrest , to me , is well worth the extra effort to carry it out to the hide. 

I have had some horrendous days perched on tiny flimsy stools or buckets that will not stay level, and do not offer either the height adjustment or the swivel seat that save on twisting the back and shoulders , often resulting in firing in a very poor shoulder mount position. The legs can be set at different heights to allow for sloping or uneven ground or set low or high depending on your preference.

I like to shoot sitting down but with the legs at full height its very easy to rise into the standing position to take standing shots as well.

Since I have had the Bergara I tend to hit a lot more birds as I can swing comfortably through the bird with good posture for the best shots without having to continually stand up to get a good line.

Its so easy to clean with a hose pipe spray to remove mud, a quick wipe down and a shot of WD40 on the leg adjusters and seat pivot bearing.

Its only my opinion but for me its a no brainer.👍👌

:good:

8 minutes ago, Westley said:

I have used that variety for a few years and found it to be very good but a bit heavy. I have also changed the foam seat top for a closed cell type foam, that is much more comfortable.

Same here , I bought one and found the revolving seat handy when you shoot sitting down and suffer from a back problem, as your body swivel round instead of keeping rigid like it do on a normal directors chair , that was the good point , the bad point was as you say the weight , it is very heavy when you have to carry all the other gear as well , I also found the seat very hard after sitting on it for a couple of hours , to get over this I took a small cushion to go on the top , anyhow , it got to the stage where if I couldn't drive to where I sited the hide then it would stay in the garage and I would take a lighter one , in the end it stayed in the garage until I had a clear out and I sold it at our local shooting auction and it made around £20. 

On 04/02/2021 at 13:12, captainhastings said:

Just cant beat a bucket seat. Light water proof and carry gear in it + cheap

Had this one over two years and still perfect

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B010MGIARG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You 100% correct there, tried all the tripod type stools, you lose the feet of them in wet fields, these bucket seats are 1st class, lightweight and hold decoy pegs, shells, etc etc even netting. Well worth the money.