Shooting insurance

pork chop

How long is a piece of string. Unless you say what cover you want or need it is impossible to answer. Most people who ask about insurance have no idea what cover they require. Do you want public liability, personal injury, legal costs, uk cover, worldwide cover, including USA and Canada, accidental damage to guns and the list goes on.

You get what you pay for and unless you read the small print for each policy you can easily get caught out!

Could I ask everyone that if you go for an insurance only option you also think about taking out a membership with the GWCT or similar? We are facing mounting pressure on what we do and need as many organizations as possible fighting our corner.

I know many will not touch BASC and some other outfits but we stand little chance  in the long term if we don't put our hands in our pockets

Cheers.

Brian

1 hour ago, Dangerous Brian said:

Could I ask everyone that if you go for an insurance only option you also think about taking out a membership with the GWCT or similar? We are facing mounting pressure on what we do and need as many organizations as possible fighting our corner.

I know many will not touch BASC and some other outfits but we stand little chance  in the long term if we don't put our hands in our pockets

Cheers.

Brian

the British Deer Society were not part of issuing the ridiculous 'voluntary' lead ban statement despite a growing call for non-lead bullets when putting venison into the food chain. Most of us are happy to comply when shooting venison for others as it means we can carry on using lead if we prefer it for our own consumption.

I was a member of 3 of the organisations that put another nail in shootings coffin by their ill thought out statement that effectively disenfranchised anyone not shooting game. Despite many representations to these organisations they have not had the decency to even accept that there is alternative, more recent and better peer reviewed evidence regarding lead so they will get no more of my money all the time they continue to peddle the agenda that only game shooters matter.

Unfortunately we don't live in a society where peer reviewed evidence is the only thing taken into account when considering further restrictions. More and more policy seems to be dictated by who can shout the loudest and produce the most shocking "evidence".

There seems little point in spending money on fighting battles that ultimately we are not going to win. I agree that the way the statement for voluntary phasing out of lead was an exercise in how not to approach a problem but it created some urgency and all of a sudden several alternatives appeared in a short time despite the cartridge companies claiming they were years away.

Okay, the track record is a bit suspect in places for some orgs but do you honestly think that we would still be shooting at all if they had never existed?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We have family membership for basc but i have joined a local wildfowling club who include basc membership in their fee and allegedly can’t separate the two. My local clay shoot membership again comes with mandatory country sports Ireland cover. As such I seem to be paying for three sets of insurance. 

5 minutes ago, Wb123 said:

We have family membership for basc but i have joined a local wildfowling club who include basc membership in their fee and allegedly can’t separate the two. My local clay shoot membership again comes with mandatory country sports Ireland cover. As such I seem to be paying for three sets of insurance. 

Tell BASC and you can claim your original membership that’s unused back 

Just now, oscarsdad said:

Tell BASC and you can claim your original membership that’s unused back 

Even if it would mean converting the now partially used family membership to a single membership for the other half? 

I will give them a call and see what they can do. 

• 2 weeks later...

Wb123, be careful that you do not have 2 policies covering the same risk by 2 different companies, I seem to recall that an insurance company will not pay out a claim if you hold another identical policy with a different provider - you may think you are doubly insured whereas you may not actually be covered at all.