Preserving Skins

gmm243

Morning all,

I think this has been broached before but I need a bit of advice.

I **** two sika hinds yesterday and want to preserve parts of the pelt to keep the hair for fly tying.

I used to use Alum but have run out of it and can not source any in local chemists.I have also had no luck getting borax in local Tesco or Asda.

Is there an alternative.I don't need it supple like a tanned skin but don't want it absorbing moisture again especially as I will be giving some of this away to friends.I was always told that normal table salt has the potential to re-absorb moisture and if stored for anytime in damp conditions the pelt may become moist and therefore rot. I do know that most people won't be storing this in anywhere other than the house or shed which will be dry but want to cover all angles.

Thanks,

Gavin.

Keep the skin in a dry  room or shed.

Cover the skin side in salt.

Salt will draw the moisture out of the pelt.

After a day or two, when that salt is damp, remove that salt and again coat with fresh dry salt.

That salt covering should remain dry -- but after a day or two, if that salt is damp,  remove it and again and coat pelt side with fresh salt.

Leave for another 3-4 days.

The skin side will be dry now and becoming stiff.

Shake the salt off.

It's preserved now ...no need to do anything else......it will last forever as long as it's not allowed get soaking wet.

Thank you all for the advice.

The two hinds I got yesterday are still hanging in the skin but I will skin them over the weekend before bringing them to the butcher.

I have always cured skins with alum and never had any issues but had a fear that normal salt would reabsorbed moisture but by reading the comments it should be fine if done correctly.

For what I need the full tanning procedure is a bit much but I think a full skin for the living room floor could be in order,both of the deer were shot in the neck so there is no damage to the pelt,I will try one of those.

In the past I dried squirrel tails and birds wings on a shelf over the range with no preservatives and they have always been fine but the skins need a little more work.I tend to use a piece about 12' square then when is preserved cut it into about 3 or 4 pieces with a Stanley knife.Have given numerous pieces away to non shooting friends and have no issues of deterioration (all done with alum).