Cricket on Channel 4

The Heron

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Got home after a morning on the crows and was telling the wife about the records Root had passed ... turned the TV on, and he got out next ball ... sorry!

We should rename you Stattosmith. Was your wife interested in your ramblings?

33 minutes ago, AVB said:

England doing well this morning. I thought Pant was going to get a very big score but hit out once too often. 

Bold by Bess to keep going at him. You've got to have courage to do that and it's paid off. a lead of 250 would be tasty. A quick slash and dash and leaving India chasing 400 on a cobra of a pitch in the last 4 sessions

2 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

Bold by Bess to keep going at him. You've got to have courage to do that and it's paid off. a lead of 250 would be tasty. A quick slash and dash and leaving India chasing 400 on a cobra of a pitch in the last 4 sessions

I thought leach was unlucky. He didn’t bowl as bad as his figures suggest. My son is a left arm spinner and sometimes he can bowl dross and get 3-4 wickets and other times is on on the money but gets spanked. 

17 minutes ago, AVB said:

I thought leach was unlucky. He didn’t bowl as bad as his figures suggest. My son is a left arm spinner and sometimes he can bowl dross and get 3-4 wickets and other times is on on the money but gets spanked. 

As Bess proved in the last test. And I think Bess benefitted from Leach being attacked. I reckon in the future, when England are in a position to pick two spinners, they'll pick Leach for control and Bess for the wickets. Right now, Leach has a better command of his action, which makes him better at tying down a batsmen (today notwithstanding; Pant was excellent), but the spin Bess gets will always be a big weapon

8 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

As Bess proved in the last test. And I think Bess benefitted from Leach being attacked. I reckon in the future, when England are in a position to pick two spinners, they'll pick Leach for control and Bess for the wickets. Right now, Leach has a better command of his action, which makes him better at tying down a batsmen (today notwithstanding; Pant was excellent), but the spin Bess gets will always be a big weapon

Bess is still learning as well and doing so in the spotlight. He is only 23. 

Or just do that. So. As some incredibly talented hypothesiser suggested. A first innings lead of around 250 (241) A lead of 400 (417) and 4 sessions (3 and a half) to take 10 wickets.

The trouble is those missed targets by small margins from my earlier suggestion could prove costly. Anyone else worried we've left it too late to get India in?

50 minutes ago, Smokersmith said:

Especially when you have Jimmy Anderson ....

The man's a marvel. and It's a good thing he is! Leach and Bess in particular have bowled some absolute dross at times! 92-2 I was getting itchy. Enter the King of Swing and we're cruising. 144-6 and it's been the James Anderson Show.