EU ban on lead ammunition for airguns, shotguns and rifles

The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) has announced proposals for a near-total ban on the sale and use of lead ammunition for airguns, shotguns and rifles.

For a BASC briefing on the proposals see:

https://basc.org.uk/european-lead-ammunition-ban-proposed/

For a briefing by the European Federation of Hunting Associations (FACE) see:

https://www.face.eu/2021/02/ban-on-lead-in-ammunition-proposed/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its about banning guns not saving lives .

But the easiest way to do anything these days is to convince people it's for the safety of either people or wildlife .then you can push any agenda you want .

Sound familiar .? 

Say I dont like the colour yellow .and I want to see it removed from public places .there is no point in me trying to convince people its an ugly colour .I have to up the stakes .

Something like .yellow makes you infertile or gives you cancer or something  .

Then with enough " scientific " evidence and peoples personal  experience of how they had a yellow jumper and they got really ill .and boom your on your way to a total ban .

Its very easy .

12 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

As this is an EU thing which we are not part of, can we not tell then to bundle it up their back passage along with the rest of the EU?

Yes please, especially that bunch of sprouts in Brussels, we shoot on the marshes  on the Norfolk coast and in the main use steel shot for everything, in winter we get thousands of swans grazing along with many thousands of pinks, so lead is a no-no , even shooting pigeons on this land where the shot falls in open grazing areas where it can be picked up by these birds its better to go with steel. As for the air rifle , where do we get an alternative to the lead at a price we can afford, I dont use it very often but still cant see the harm a single pellet would cause.

Years ago they hit the fishermen with a lead shot ban on all fresh water fishing which caused many problems as most of the alternatives at the time were absolute rubbish, things thankfully have changed and these days some decent alternatives are readily available, so if a lead ban is imposed on the shooting it may take some time before a good alternative is available at a fair price.

12 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, perhaps they should look at the lead water pipes that are still used in 1000s of homes in the water supply 

Lead flashing, which is still used, And the millions of tons of lead oare in the ground which enters the water courses, for at least 2 thousand years we have live with lead, people at present are living longer than ever (Fact) tell me if I am wrong 

30 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

Yes please, especially that bunch of sprouts in Brussels, we shoot on the marshes  on the Norfolk coast and in the main use steel shot for everything, in winter we get thousands of swans grazing along with many thousands of pinks, so lead is a no-no , even shooting pigeons on this land where the shot falls in open grazing areas where it can be picked up by these birds its better to go with steel. As for the air rifle , where do we get an alternative to the lead at a price we can afford, I dont use it very often but still cant see the harm a single pellet would cause.

Years ago they hit the fishermen with a lead shot ban on all fresh water fishing which caused many problems as most of the alternatives at the time were absolute rubbish, things thankfully have changed and these days some decent alternatives are readily available, so if a lead ban is imposed on the shooting it may take some time before a good alternative is available at a fair price.

There's a guy on YouTube, .22plinkster I think his channel is where he tested non toxic .22lr ammunition, for accuracy and power you pretty much get cut down to shooting at ranges not much more than 40-50yards, if that's the case then when it comes to airguns your may as well not bother and just try to sneak up and beat your rabbits over the head with a priest, or use a catapult.

23 minutes ago, steve s×s said:

Lead flashing, which is still used, And the millions of tons of lead oare in the ground which enters the water courses, for at least 2 thousand years we have live with lead, people at present are living longer than ever (Fact) tell me if I am wrong 

Hello, your not but I agree on steel shot for wildfowling 

7 minutes ago, 51/50 said:

I don't understand,why is this even a threat to the UK when we are no longer a member of the EU,am i missing something?

1. The UK is a comparatively small market for ammunition, so any actual bans would likely drive prices up even further.  Conversely shotgun ammunition tends to be made in the country of sale* as it's bulky and expensive to ship.

2. The UK government could choose to enact the any future EU directive into UK law for political reasons/as a sop to the EU, especially if they are 'environmental' ones.

The threat here is, potentially, the anti groups getting together with the remainers rejoiners to orchestrate a campaign that nasty, evil hunters want to poison the earth with their lead, and that such a simplistic message will be half way around the world before FACE/BASC has even got its boots on, to put the more balanced point of view across.

But, the consultation doesn't even open until the end of March.  Can't see the likes of the French, or the Czechs just rolling over and accepting this.  Not sure the Swiss will accept it without a fight either.

*from almost exclusively imported components

2 minutes ago, oowee said:

Because there is only one world that we all share and standards will continue to get tighter to protect it. 

I think it's safe to say that anyone with an ounce of common sense knows full well that this is just a direct assault on the shooting/hunting fraternity & has nothing whatsoever to do with saving the planet.

let’s not make the mistake of a eu scapegoat here this ban rubbish has been championed by basc and co ignoring the mountain of members opinion posted on here if lead was a genuine concern the far bigger sources of lead contamination would be dealt with first so this ban rubbish is a con job from start to finish by ALL those behind it 

BASC and the others should be fighting this lead ban for all shooting non lead is ****   we don't  shoot as much lead as the military etc yet one paragraph states Military and other non-civilian uses of lead ammunition – such as by police, security and customs forces – are not included in the scope of the investigation. Indoor uses of lead ammunition are also excluded 

2 hours ago, Rob85 said:

There's a guy on YouTube, .22plinkster I think his channel is where he tested non toxic .22lr ammunition, for accuracy and power you pretty much get cut down to shooting at ranges not much more than 40-50yards, if that's the case then when it comes to airguns your may as well not bother and just try to sneak up and beat your rabbits over the head with a priest, or use a catapult.

But dont shoot lead balls.