EU ban on lead ammunition for airguns, shotguns and rifles

33 minutes ago, Nuke said:

How hard would it be to increase the pressure of the air rifle to push the pellet to the needed levels?

/Markus 

What about those who already have air rifles ?
We would have to re write air gun laws to 'up' the power, something IMHO will never happen.

We have to get out of the mindset that this legislation is to help the environment/public health, its not about accommodating us shooters , its about squeezing us till we give up the right to privately possess firearms.
Licencing airguns, lead bans to make ammunition prohibitively expensive, and snipping away at certain firearm classes ( lever release, MARS ect) are just a precursor to more restrictions, semi auto .22lrs and LBPs next.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

39 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

What about those who already have air rifles ?
We would have to re write air gun laws to 'up' the power, something IMHO will never happen.

We have to get out of the mindset that this legislation is to help the environment/public health, its not about accommodating us shooters , its about squeezing us till we give up the right to privately possess firearms.
Licencing airguns, lead bans to make ammunition prohibitively expensive, and snipping away at certain firearm classes ( lever release, MARS ect) are just a precursor to more restrictions, semi auto .22lrs and LBPs next.

Think you have hit the proverbial nail on the head, the powers that be know it would be difficult to ban all firearms, so what better backdoor way to remove them by making them almost unusable by banning lead, all done under the guise of environment/public health issues, which will always get the thumbs-up from Joe public.

As been said by others, the future for shooting as never been under so much pressure, I have perhaps seen the good days, I do fear what the next 10 or 20 years will hold for future generations of young shooters.

If they banned all lead for hunting but let it be used for target shooting I think we could all agree the level of non compliance would be so great it would be hard to find anyone who did comply with the rules. People will simply take FMJ target ammo and rub off the jacket to give some more expansion.

It's a hell of a laugh complaining about lead in the environment from hunting when they still graze animals and grow crops over WW1 and WW2 battlefields and I haven't heard of much health detriment from that, apart from the odd death accidentally ploughing up unexploded ordnance of course.

1 hour ago, Rob85 said:

If they banned all lead for hunting but let it be used for target shooting I think we could all agree the level of non compliance would be so great it would be hard to find anyone who did comply with the rules. People will simply take FMJ target ammo and rub off the jacket to give some more expansion.

Who says target ammo wont be next ?
Its a subtle encroachment, targeting ammunition and 'certain' firearms in a 2 pronged attack.
Lead shotgun shot for quarry is the first phase, then lead shot altogether.
Non lead bullets are already a thing (called non toxic) , and it wont be too long before legislation comes in to ban lead cored bullets, probably starting in the hunting sector, then moving on to range use.
I wonder if they will ban lead bullets in warfare too ? 😏 They never seem to fussed about spreading depleted uranium about someone elses countryside.

Like I said , get ready to lose your .22lr semis, and your LBPs (black powder pistol will likely get it too) , they too will be classified as 'too dangerous' 
The amount of shooters just giving up because of more and more restrictions cannot be underestimated, and the less people who shoot, the easier it is to just roll over dissenting voices.

Think about it, if centrefire ammo doubled (maybe trebled)  in price, and had to be lead free, would it still be viable for YOU ?

Like wise , if no alternative was offered for rimfire bullets, and lead was phased out/made illegal , how many small bore clubs and hunters would just give in ?

These are very real threats to shooting , in all its sporting forms, and BASC is doing nothing to protect us.
In fact , rather the opposite ..

On 09/02/2021 at 13:44, motty said:

It is called steel.

May I ask why?

If not lead, then what is "it" to do with?

You are so off the mark, here.

Hi motty, hope you are well, I thought most shooters were aware that anti blood sports under various gysies have used the lead issue to champion their cause jmho 

On 05/02/2021 at 15:46, oowee said:

Not happening anytime soon. We may be a sovereign nation but we also have a new trade deal. 

But it's contained and not spread throughout the countryside, and in the food chain.

Like fuel? Like paint? Like food cans? Like water pipes? 

WATER PIPES ARE STILL LEAD  !

On 05/02/2021 at 10:36, lakeside1000 said:

Yes please, especially that bunch of sprouts in Brussels, we shoot on the marshes  on the Norfolk coast and in the main use steel shot for everything, in winter we get thousands of swans grazing along with many thousands of pinks, so lead is a no-no , even shooting pigeons on this land where the shot falls in open grazing areas where it can be picked up by these birds its better to go with steel. As for the air rifle , where do we get an alternative to the lead at a price we can afford, I dont use it very often but still cant see the harm a single pellet would cause.

Years ago they hit the fishermen with a lead shot ban on all fresh water fishing which caused many problems as most of the alternatives at the time were absolute rubbish, things thankfully have changed and these days some decent alternatives are readily available, so if a lead ban is imposed on the shooting it may take some time before a good alternative is available at a fair price.

So, with all that spent lead out there, you must be knee deep in dead birds that have ingested some. Any chance you could post some 'pics' of them, just to prove to us all that banning lead is the way to go  ?

27 minutes ago, Westley said:

So, with all that spent lead out there, you must be knee deep in dead birds that have ingested some. Any chance you could post some 'pics' of them, just to prove to us all that banning lead is the way to go  ?

Yes, no dead birds, instead we are knee deep in raptors and corvids all eating lead shot carrion (occasionally) anyhow when we lose lead the antis will find another nail to knock in the shooting coffin, 

1 hour ago, Westley said:

😀 I was at a BASC meeting at the Shepherds Inn at Carlisle, when one of two well seasoned ‘Fowler’s made this very point to shifty Swifty. He just claimed that nature made a very good job of hiding its casualties, immediately leading to one of the two responding by stating that part of his claims were based on people finding dead birds which had ingested lead shot. 🙂

On 10/02/2021 at 21:06, steve s×s said:

Yes, no dead birds, instead we are knee deep in raptors and corvids all eating lead shot carrion (occasionally) anyhow when we lose lead the antis will find another nail to knock in the shooting coffin, 

Which is WHY we should be taking a stance on this one  ??

I am a Life member of BASC, joining in the days when they were based in Chester. I am thankful that my lifetime membership does not have a great deal longer to run    !

On 10/02/2021 at 21:49, oowee said:

New ones. 

I believe that the old,  greatly outweigh the new. As an ex Plumber, I have seen a lot of people who have paid to have the lead service pipe replaced with plastic, thinking they were going to be safer from this er......'DEADLY' material. They did not realize that the plastic only went as far as the service stopcock outside their property. From that service stopcock to the main remained as lead  !  Water Companies will tell you "We have lined all of the mains water pipes with plastic". Well, they have lined a lot (to stop people complaining about all the water leaks, especially during hose pipe bans), but still not ALL. They omit to tell you that from the main to the service stop cock is er....LEAD   !

1 minute ago, Westley said:

I believe that the old,  greatly outweigh the new. As an ex Plumber, I have seen a lot of people who have paid to have the lead service pipe replaced with plastic, thinking they were going to be safer from this er......'DEADLY' material. They did not realize that the plastic only went as far as the service stopcock outside their property. From that service stopcock to the main remained as lead  !  Water Companies will tell you "We have lined all of the mains water pipes with plastic". Well, they have lined a lot (to stop people complaining about all the water leaks, especially during hose pipe bans), but still not ALL. They omit to tell you that from the main to the service stop cock is er....LEAD   !

Yes that fact has always amused me, but what is out of sight will not play on the mind.

21 minutes ago, Westley said:

There is lead in current use all over the place, the point I was making is that it's not now being used in many areas  (like water pipes etc). The same will come for lead ammo. 

On 12/02/2021 at 21:20, Ultrastu said:

Why ? Are you in the habit of climbing  on your roof and liking your chimney  stack? 

Ah, I’m a bit slow.....I didn’t get this ‘til I saw Jim Neals post, who’s picked up on your spelling. 
What I meant was, lead is still used in flashing, and it doesn’t just occur on chimney stacks; it is traditionally used for roof valleys and Gilpin Lodge hotel has an entire entrance lobby roof covered in moulded lead flashing. 🙂