Vildiz .410’TK-36 how loud test ?

So chaps dug my old digital sound meter out from a previous life before kids ( part time grease monkey for touring car tram ) thinking of doing a test to see what the TK-36 reads with and without hush power mod when it turns up.

so what do we think the best way to measure would be my guess is 10 - 15m from muzzle at 45degree angle as we may be on the limit of what my db  will read. I will be picking up some sub sonic carts as well to8260DD1C-76A0-4E60-83EA-7A9B4EA0630A.jpeg.62a6eacb0951ecd48a2c08983f9ff243.jpeg a comparison.

Will of course report back results 

atb Agrin8

Yeah that sounds like a fair test .Best to try and keep all the variables the same .

So not on different days with different wind directions etc .

A really good test u can do with a mate is get him to read the sound difference  between different carts at range so say 50  100 and 150 , 250 yds .

These are I guess relevant ranges when it comes to trying to avoid upsetting neighbours ,horses , pigeons  etc .

My personal opinion  is that cartridge choice is largely  irrelevant  (as far as noise is concerned  ) much past 50 yds .

But I'd be interested  in having that theory quantified 

Ultrastu not had any complaints but I am working around pregnant yews that do give me a wide birth thus the going down .410 It’s more a case of I have the db meter so why not ! 

like your idea of readings at different distances I know have 3inch Eley normal and the 3 inch subsonic version both fibre and both same size weight.

reading up on the web it may take a while for mod to be fully effective. 

report back soon but my moderator still not turned up yet ☹️

Do the whole 180 with five tests at the maximum reach of your meter and look at the average reading. I shoot a Mossy Hushpower and I find the noise at source ...Noisy ...but have had reactions from people only 100yrds away who didn't realise it was a gun shot and that is where the real test needs to be, out where the disturbance is likely to be.

Unless you are right on top of the ewes then I don't think they will take a lot of notice if they are in a field, might just move away from you.  I shoot on some ground where I occasionally zero a full bore rifle with mod and the sheep there do not blink.

I agree 

You have the meter why not ? I'd also recommend you do the test on as wind free a day as possible .as the wind strength and direction play the biggest part of heard sound from a gun .

I've read that some people say the sub sonics can be louder than the normal eley carts ?

I dont know as I dont shoot eley carts .

My prediction is that you will end up shooting the cartridge that you find kills best irrespective  of sound (unless you have a very specific  reason to be extra quiet and are willing to sacrifice performance for ultimate quiet ).

But please don't let me stop you from doing the above test .I certainly would if I had a meter like that .

Looking forward to the results .👍

• 3 weeks later...

Hi hawkfanz  l agree that the fiocchi .410 cartridges are loud with or without a moderator. They are a very good cartridge. I would ask a friend to fire different brands of cartridges through the gun and stand 100yards down wind and then at 50yards . I would say that the Eley four long is the quietest but it is the least powerful. 

• 2 weeks later...

So had a bit of time before I had the yard to myself and cattle to hit a few more rats 

so nipped up the field with the yildiz with hush power fitted

sound meter was 10-15 meters away at 10deg angle but pointed towards the muzzle. Shooting slightly above the meter 

so very little in it plan to repeat tomorrow if I get chance.

subsonic 

BDE14A6B-DD3F-411B-9E17-EB35E780E394.jpeg.c30e30e0134426d7594dd2948ad34847.jpeg

Normal 

8D2EED24-9F75-40B8-845F-7D7F474CDCB0.jpeg

thay sound different coach rather than bang but on this test the same db was recorded !

atb agriv8

Edited by Agriv8
Added some details

Sorry just found this update .agriv8

So what were the 2 cartridges shot .? 

Eley subs ? And normal eley .? 

So generally the biggest heard difference between cartridges is close to the muzzle and not at range .so if your meter cant hear the difference at 10 yds I'd say there isn't any 🤣.

Have you got any more different carts to try .?

Stu yes both 18 gram no 6 fibre subsonic vs normal 3 inch Elay

my findings back your theory up at 10 to 15 metres they sound different but db wise read same. 

plan to repeat at a measured 5m during the week and post up but at the moment the extra cost of the subsonic are not making much sense.

re other carts to try talking to my cartridge supplier  when I picked up my clay cartridges - Hull Sporting 100s 8s he Has some long 410 in but he could not recall details so will have a play with them and report back but they don’t stock eley so will be something different!

But bulls are now supper cool picked of a rat in norms of the cow sheds between  cows and wall as it made a break for freedom from food trough  spooked one of the young ones but all the rest didn’t even stop feeding!

all in all having a great time with the 410 don’t think my lad  will be getting it back for a while

atb Agriv8