410 reloading setup

Baggyb1138

See if you can find a reasonably priced MEC 600 and the dies....I had to have mine sent from the USA..dies that is.  I use the press simply for decapping and sizing then crimping/finishing. I also use a GAEP spinner to put that final finish on them.   ALL of my loads I weigh the powder individually (SP3) because ti s so fine it leaks all over the place from the press and the shot will not feed well but I know where the line is to get a nice crimp  and that gives me 18.7g of #7s.  Initially there is some outlay but then it is just wads/powder shot and primers.   Folkestone Engineering have some good loads and can supply wads etc. 

I reload 12 and 20g and adding 410 to the list seemed obvious, especially given the cost of 410 cartridges. I have no experience of loading brass, so thats for the more experienced to advise. What I have learn't is..... 410 is difficult to reload for the following reasons.

A lot of the cases here in this country from different manufacturers are very thin on the plastic. This means the case gets distorted on first firing and will then not reload. Resizing the brass is easy, but you cannot reform the plastic case. I had my mec with a 410 conversion kit on it, and like Walker, I used it to size, deprime and prime. However, I gave up on it due to the case issue. Cases that have fired plastic wads are marginally more usable. The only cases that I have found that can be re used are Hull High Pheasant, and Fiocchi. Also, crimp close tends to be a low on the success rate. 

I buy new primed cases. You are already into 3-4p for a primer, so the small extra is worth buying new primed cases. Like Walker, I use SP3, over powder card, fibre wad, my own shot, over shot card and roll crimp using a gaep rto. Even without the protection of the plastic wad, the cases seem less damaged with a RTO, so potentially re usable.All components and recipe supplied by John at FES. I use and electronic scale for powder measuring because I have one. But a cheap set up is to use a dipper, (surprisingly  accurate ) or a lee powder dispenser, pencil or similar to seat wad, dipper for shot, (you will get to know the level in the case )and an electric drill for the RTO. If you really want to try re using shells, search youtube for hand reloading 410. 

Hope this helps.

Edited by turbo33