Six Nations 2021

henry d

20 minutes ago, TRINITY said:

Just caught last 10 minutes of Welsh game. Hard done to I thought. Yet again result decided by ref rather than skill of best side. 

Like I say dont watch that much union , but this year I have seen too many refs who think people pay to watch them rather than a game of rugby.

I thought we had some poor refs in league, but they are light years infront of dome of the clowns I have seen in this competition

It seems Jamie Roberts disagrees with you.
image.png.8d21b79eb9cbfd882d03978c1b47b4f5.png

3 minutes ago, foxbuster said:

Gutted, but what a game! For a neutral that must have been fun! Had everything that game! Fair play to the French👍 

Yup! it was. Crazy, highly skilled, messy, brutal and all a bit wonderful. Hard luck to Wales, they saved their best performance for their last game, which is ironic given that that's the only one they lost.

Roll on next week, then 2022

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, TRINITY said:

Just caught last 10 minutes of Welsh game. Hard done to I thought. Yet again result decided by ref rather than skill of best side. 

Like I say dont watch that much union , but this year I have seen too many refs who think people pay to watch them rather than a game of rugby.

I thought we had some poor refs in league, but they are light years infront of dome of the clowns I have seen in this competition

The ref wasn't at fault,  I've just watched the game and it was great, so many denied tries being held up by great defence,  if anything Wales should have had at least another player sent off, AWJ should have gone but got another warning. 

The game was great, I thought Wales had it in the bag before the red card that denied the try, the two teams played fantastic rugby and france don't normally finish strong, I thought the knock on had finished the game then Wales give another penalty. 

By far the best game,  both teams actually playing with the ball, superb for a neutral, but I cheered France!!

Another game to go as well. 

I hope the England team were watching and asking why they didn't play like that instead of the ridiculous kicking game they played. 

6 hours ago, Mice! said:

The ref wasn't at fault,  I've just watched the game and it was great, so many denied tries being held up by great defence,  if anything Wales should have had at least another player sent off, AWJ should have gone but got another warning. 

The game was great, I thought Wales had it in the bag before the red card that denied the try, the two teams played fantastic rugby and france don't normally finish strong, I thought the knock on had finished the game then Wales give another penalty. 

By far the best game,  both teams actually playing with the ball, superb for a neutral, but I cheered France!!

Another game to go as well. 

I hope the England team were watching and asking why they didn't play like that instead of the ridiculous kicking game they played. 

Unfortunately Eddie Jones lays down the game plan for England,(Hence the kicking game), It seems to me that any player who steps outside of this plan is out..........Cipriani,Care,etc

Other maverick style players (or those who may defy an EJ gameplan), seem to be ignored on a regular basis, Marcus Smith, The Simmonds brothers, Dombrandt, Randall, Odogwu etc.

3 minutes ago, The Heron said:

I should have said how on earth looking at how we played yesterday. 

Yeah I know what you meant mate, I was being flippant 😁

Its hard to see how the game plan was so different yesterday, versus France we seemed to be free running and competed for 80 minutes, yesterday we looked second best, and reverted to Eddies game.

All the best.

30 minutes ago, twenty said:

Unfortunately Eddie Jones lays down the game plan for England,(Hence the kicking game), It seems to me that any player who steps outside of this plan is out..........Cipriani,Care,etc

Other maverick style players (or those who may defy an EJ gameplan), seem to be ignored on a regular basis, Marcus Smith, The Simmonds brothers, Dombrandt, Randall, Odogwu etc.

Aye there's the rub. The trouble is EJ doesn't believe you can break the line with flair and skill any more; he thinks that globally, defences are too well drilled and too organised. So you're left with two options: batter your way through, or kick over the top. But it's simply not true, as France have shown all through the Six Nations - and as England showed against France! 

I honestly think we're not getting as much as we could out of Ford. He marshals a game so well, and his kicking over the top's world class, but when he's got a 9, 12 and 13 that can run unconventional lines, he's got the brain-power and skill to make the passes. England are a far better side when they have Ford at 10 and then people like Manu or Joseph in the centre, who will look for the unpredictable, even if they've been drilled to play the same old boring way. 

1 minute ago, chrisjpainter said:

Aye there's the rub. The trouble is EJ doesn't believe you can break the line with flair and skill any more; he thinks that globally, defences are too well drilled and too organised. So you're left with two options: batter your way through, or kick over the top. But it's simply not true, as France have shown all through the Six Nations - and as England showed against France! 

I honestly think we're not getting as much as we could out of Ford. He marshals a game so well, and his kicking over the top's world class, but when he's got a 9, 12 and 13 that can run unconventional lines, he's got the brain-power and skill to make the passes. England are a far better side when they have Ford at 10 and then people like Manu or Joseph in the centre, who will look for the unpredictable, even if they've been drilled to play the same old boring way. 

Henry Slade was an elusive runner until recently, Watson is another who is well capable of line breaks, but the kicking game is no good for these type of players

Thought Wales used LRZ differently yesterday, taking 1st phase ball at pace, and he has a wonderful offload game..........we will have him back available for Glos next week......and need all our internationals back after yesterdays drubbing at Quins 😪

10 minutes ago, twenty said:

Henry Slade was an elusive runner until recently, Watson is another who is well capable of line breaks, but the kicking game is no good for these type of players

Thought Wales used LRZ differently yesterday, taking 1st phase ball at pace, and he has a wonderful offload game..........we will have him back available for Glos next week......and need all our internationals back after yesterdays drubbing at Quins 😪

It's bizarre isn't it? We have the players to make a success of one type of game, but EJ's forcing them to play another. Watson must be so bored at times! We saw what he can do against France, but for the other four games he might as well have stayed at home and watched Netflix. A kickathon doesn't suit Daly either, because teams respond to kicks with kicks and that's one of his weakest areas.

1 hour ago, twenty said:

I'm sure that's right, I don't follow the Premiership because that's how they play, two drives and kick, the problem for me is England's kicking game puts no one under pressure it just gives away possession. 

How many times did Wales kick yesterday then compete for their own kick, so get back possession 50 yards up the field.

Or France do a cheeky chip over after 6 or 7 phases drawing in and tiring the defence. 

The problem with refs is not the referee but they rules from world rugby that have to enforce!!

They keep blaming the teams discipline but get real its killing the game you now get a penalty if your on the ground for a second and dong let go of the ball.....you cant roll away with an 18stone player plonked on top of you .....theve gone to far to much interfering is ruining the spectacle but this summer they will change more rules and more penalties will ensue you cant have flowing rugby when the refs constantly blowing a whistle.....

1 hour ago, chrisjpainter said:

Watson must be so bored at times! We saw what he can do against France, but for the other four games he might as well have stayed at home and watched Netflix

I played on the wing for my local union team back in 2019 as they were short, 60 minutes and I think it was two tackles and ran the ball twice, I could have sat down and done a crossword,  and it's why league players say union is so boring. 

1 hour ago, Mice! said:

I played on the wing for my local union team back in 2019 as they were short, 60 minutes and I think it was two tackles and ran the ball twice, I could have sat down and done a crossword,  and it's why league players say union is so boring. 

I love rugby league as well, but unfortunately down here in the Westcountry there is little of it.

Gloucester have signed league players over the years, and some were brilliant (Lesley Vainikolo), some not so (Henry Paul) , but they did bring some great running to the game.

Jason Robinson was, probably the best example of a crossover, but there have been lots of Union to League successes as well, Jonathan Davies, Scott Quinell etc.

And Shaun Edwards not being involved with England RFU is tragic, IMO.

The french coach has had his say on the red card:

"If you watch the video there is clearly no contact, or if there is it's clearly very limited. It's absolutely not voluntary.

"I believe we need to share this, I don't see why he should be sanctioned."

Ummmm...
image.png.cd91d5be84cef48182dd30ad72a73f06.png

I'm not sure you can defend that! What's worse is he then pulls back to pull the player downimage.png.b51d706ec841aae4a53efdd8995e7eb7.png

12 minutes ago, twenty said:

I love rugby league as well, but unfortunately down here in the Westcountry there is little of it.

Gloucester have signed league players over the years, and some were brilliant (Lesley Vainikolo), some not so (Henry Paul) , but they did bring some great running to the game.

Jason Robinson was, probably the best example of a crossover, but there have been lots of Union to League successes as well, Jonathan Davies, Scott Quinell etc.

And Shaun Edwards not being involved with England RFU is tragic, IMO.

They are certainly different games, but England just didn't look like they wanted to play with the ball in hand, that for me means you'll never put enough pressure on the opposition to win.

5 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

"If you watch the video there is clearly no contact, or if there is it's clearly very limited. It's absolutely not voluntary.

Ummmm...

I'm not sure you can defend that! What's worse is he then pulls back to pull the player downimage.png.b51d706ec841aae4a53efdd8995e7eb7.png

Red card all day, they know things will be shown on slow mo, and I'm not having it he didn't know where his hand was.

It's like the tackle that dropped BV, both players were low I'd say no malicious intent but he clipped the chin, maybe an inch lower and it's a great tackle, wrapping the hand around the head in the face and you're going to walk, it almost cost France the game. 

10 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Ummmm...

Looks bad doesn't it.....unfortunately players are begining to feign injury a bit as well, trying to get yellows or reds......needs to  be stamped out...... (and there's a freudian slip for you).

20 minutes ago, chrisjpainter said:

Ummmm...

Have a look at Genge elbowing Sexton in the IRE v ENG game......around 75mins on screen.

On 21/03/2021 at 13:12, twenty said:

Anyway, France need to beat Scotland on Friday 26th, 8pm, by 21 clear points, and gain a try bonus point (5pts), to win the 6 Nations.........that sets it up doesn't it,

I really can't see this happening there must be good odds at the bookies on France doing this 

I think France will win but not by a big enough margin, this could be the first time in a long time that Scotland have a say in who wins the trophy,  I just hope the game is as good as Saturday night's was.

It would be really nice if Scotland won??

16 minutes ago, Mice! said:

I think France will win but not by a big enough margin, this could be the first time in a long time that Scotland have a say in who wins the trophy,  I just hope the game is as good as Saturday night's was.

It would be really nice if Scotland won??

I don't know, France are so unpredictable and Scotland are prone to the odd off day. France have something to play for and if they get a couple of scores early doors, you never know. With any luck it'll be like that crazy game a few years ago where England needed to beat France by a shed-load to snatch the tournament from Ireland and just went for it. 55-35. We didn't quite make it, but it was good fun watching them try!

13 hours ago, chrisjpainter said:

I don't know, France are so unpredictable and Scotland are prone to the odd off day. France have something to play for and if they get a couple of scores early doors, you never know. With any luck it'll be like that crazy game a few years ago where England needed to beat France by a shed-load to snatch the tournament from Ireland and just went for it. 55-35. We didn't quite make it, but it was good fun watching them try!

Yeah, The French have to go for it don't they, I reckon they might do it as well, as you say you never know with Scotland, but its definitely not going to be 0-0............what odds on that at the bookies.

If France win by 20pts ,(with a try bonus) and finish level with Wales, it is a try count back between the two.

At the moment Wales have scored 20 tries (5 games),and France 15 tries in 4 games, with Fridays match to come.