MINK SNARE/ Trap

blueeyes

I dont fancy a mink in a snare they are scary enough when you catch then in a cage trap, i would get your grandson to get a live catch  cage trap and put it in a tunnel, and put the bait ( cat food) in the tunnel first and then put the trap in that way the mink has to try and get to the bait but is blocked by the end of the trap, when it stands on the plate the trap closes and you have your mink, you can then take the trap out of the tunnel and shoot it with an airgun to kill it.

Here is a link to the sort of trap i am talking about

https://www.bushwear.co.uk/products/squirrel-mink-cage-trap-23?variant=10668018761764&gclid=Cj0KCQiAmfmABhCHARIsACwPRABy9LYBOqbU28eSCwzaahVVdwoMIjl43JYzOd-1LpfdGzHIGZeeWuAaAiPXEALw_wcB

try different baits! Last one i had fell to frozen salmon. Wasn't interested in cat food or tuna. The one before (different location) liked trout. Also many people will tell you the bait needs to be fresh. The salmon was a week old before I caught the mink.

I would use a live catch trap and not a snare in case there are otter there.

Edited by silver pigeon69

2 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Thanks guys I have fabricated a makeshift cage trap for him so will see how that goes 

Make sure you trap is well made i have had them burst out of traps using different ways of getting out the trap, one mink i am sure carries a socket set and bolt cutters to destroy the trap.

Thanks for the info guys , it is a solid cage and make shift locking door so should hold it , he said he seen it running down the dry stain dyke , away from a fox pipe I have there , and there are more signs at another pipe but could be same one, but I am pretty sure there are more than one. 

5 hours ago, blueeyes said:

Thanks for the info guys , it is a solid cage and make shift locking door so should hold it , he said he seen it running down the dry stain dyke , away from a fox pipe I have there , and there are more signs at another pipe but could be same one, but I am pretty sure there are more than one. 

Have you got a trail camera? It would be a good idea to set a camera up so your not disturbing things to check the trap, happy hunting.