Drone

steve_b_wales

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

32 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'm looking forward to this thread because I want a drone as well😊.

I've wanted one for a few years now, Mel. There's a 'good one' advertised via Facebook called Quadspy, which looks good, and reduced in price to £44:95, but I don't know anyone who has one, that can comment on it.

Edited by steve_b_wales

23 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

Take a look at this one, Mel.

Quadspy Mavic Zoom Drone 2 (Youtube)

I'll take a look Steve. 

The farmers lad on one of my permissions sent me his drone footage from when they were dragging in the maize , it was absolutely amazing,  the only problem was that the drone cost about £1000 . I know that if I bought one , it would just get used once then sit in the back of the cupboard. 

49 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'll take a look Steve. 

The farmers lad on one of my permissions sent me his drone footage from when they were dragging in the maize , it was absolutely amazing,  the only problem was that the drone cost about £1000 . I know that if I bought one , it would just get used once then sit in the back of the cupboard. 

Same here Mel. It wouldn't get the use to justify spending a grand or more. My mate's son has one that cost £2000+ but it gets used regularly and he also does commission video's/photo's. I want one to also take abroad on holiday to film the resort etc, so one that is not bulky or too heavy is a must. I am tempted to try the one advertised via Facebook though.

Edited by steve_b_wales

If anyone gets one with a decent receiver/monitor - save £100 on one of the two magnetic FPV (drone) roof spotter transmitter options I have for sale on here - I can then keep my receiver for the other one. :)

3 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

If anyone gets one with a decent receiver/monitor - save £100 on one of the two magnetic FPV (drone) roof spotter transmitter options I have for sale on here - I can then keep my receiver for the other one. :)

OOPS - sorry, I thought I'd listed it here too. :ermm:

44 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'll take a look Steve. 

Yep, If you plan on taking any decent photos and video I think you are looking at drones around that sort of price and higher, dont know what the second hand markets like for drones but its like you say, there must be others who have bought top end drones that are now sitting in the back of the cupboard.

4 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, If you plan on taking any decent photos and video I think you are looking at drones around that sort of price and higher, dont know what the second hand markets like for drones but its like you say, there must be others who have bought top end drones that are now sitting in the back of the cupboard.

I think I'd be too scared to buy a second hand one dave, I'm the least techy person in the world and would just buy an overpriced sack of cack 😳.

Been thinking of one myself but like said play with it couple times put in cupboard like the thermal spotter I brought on the 19 Dec only used that once brought a new bsa r10 couple weeks ago that’s in cabinet can’t be bothered about going out don’t now if it’s the cold weather or old age.

23 minutes ago, snow white said:

Been thinking of one myself but like said play with it couple times put in cupboard like the thermal spotter I brought on the 19 Dec only used that once brought a new bsa r10 couple weeks ago that’s in cabinet can’t be bothered about going out don’t now if it’s the cold weather or old age.

I'd put mine in the cupboard with my ,thermal spotter , night vision scope , range finder , brand new scopes , head shaver , vapes , and all the other things that I've bought but don't use 😅

Yes Mel that’s trouble keeping buying we are like kids see got to have it then you say to yourself what I have I brought that for 

but when it comes to putting new shoes on motor I keep saying do I need them the missis is saying if you get a tug one of these nights when coming back from vermin control and I get a ticket for tyres I will be crying then got to put them on anyway plus fine she is right but £580 for four new tyres look at all the Usless stuff I could buy for that.

going to put them on Monday when they come in.

36 minutes ago, snow white said:

Yes Mel that’s trouble keeping buying we are like kids see got to have it then you say to yourself what I have I brought that for 

but when it comes to putting new shoes on motor I keep saying do I need them the missis is saying if you get a tug one of these nights when coming back from vermin control and I get a ticket for tyres I will be crying then got to put them on anyway plus fine she is right but £580 for four new tyres look at all the Usless stuff I could buy for that.

going to put them on Monday when they come in.

I buy a new range finder every couple of years , I'll use it once then chuck it in the cupboard, I'll find it again a couple of years later and sell it because I don't need it . ..... then I realise that I really really need a range finder , and so it goes on and on 😅.

One of these days I'll spend money on something sensible like clothes , I dress like my clothes came from the wurzel gummidge section at asda😳.  

12 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

Down in Cornwall the estate agents use them, might be a bit of commercial work there if you got the hang of it 

I'm going to film the fit young woman next door , and sell the videos on pigeonwatch 😅

6 minutes ago, PLAGUE said:

Just getting into drone's myself - take my advice and buy a cheap (under £30.00) indoor one first - trust me.

Steve.

I bought one for my lad years ago , he let me have a go and I destroyed it in less than a second 😳

2 hours ago, mel b3 said:

I buy a new range finder every couple of years , I'll use it once then chuck it in the cupboard, I'll find it again a couple of years later and sell it because I don't need it . ..... then I realise that I really really need a range finder , and so it goes on and on 😅.

One of these days I'll spend money on something sensible like clothes , I dress like my clothes came from the wurzel gummidge section at asda😳.  

I'm going to film the fit young woman next door , and sell the videos on pigeonwatch 😅

I bought one for my lad years ago , he let me have a go and I destroyed it in less than a second 😳

That’s the problem with the lower end of the market, they lack the abilities of the larger/more expensive models.

I purchased a secondhand DJI Mavjic air and it’s been brilliant ( had done more hours than the seller claimed - they retain all flight details).

Admittedly and like most of my shooting gear, I haven’t found a genuine use for it but it has been fun.

Just the other day we had a re-roof carried out and was good to put it up to see the progress and document it.

It took a couple of YouTube vids to learn the features and the thing takes off and lands back to a designated point itself ( take off from the roof of the car and it comes back to the same spot almost perfectly). With obstacle avoidance I really can’t see how to crash it....

Takes both 4K vids and still pics.

After a bit of YT research, I bought myself a ready to fly SJRC F11. Seems a sturdy bit of kit with GPS, gyro stability and smart phone connectivity plus plenty of good reviews. Also bought a second battery which should give me 40 minutes of flying time. Only flown it twice and both occasions bounced it off the holly bush (it was a bit windy, honest) no damage to either apart from my pride.. Practice - still in progress..

3 hours ago, Jaymo said:

That’s the problem with the lower end of the market, they lack the abilities of the larger/more expensive models.

I purchased a secondhand DJI Mavjic air and it’s been brilliant ( had done more hours than the seller claimed - they retain all flight details).

Admittedly and like most of my shooting gear, I haven’t found a genuine use for it but it has been fun.

Just the other day we had a re-roof carried out and was good to put it up to see the progress and document it.

It took a couple of YouTube vids to learn the features and the thing takes off and lands back to a designated point itself ( take off from the roof of the car and it comes back to the same spot almost perfectly). With obstacle avoidance I really can’t see how to crash it....

Takes both 4K vids and still pics.

That sounds almost uncrashable , that would be a huge benefit to me .

The main thing that I'd use it for , is checking out a small piece of land ,at the bottom of a largish waterfall, on the edge of our woodland  . Access is very difficult (almost impossible ), and can't be seen close up . A drone might give me a good enough view , to see if it's worth going to the trouble of making it more easily accessible. 

The other reason that I want one , is because I'm a big soft kid that loves playing with toys 😅.