Drone

steve_b_wales

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 hours ago, figgy said:

The DJI Mavick Mini, will suit most people's needs. Just don't fly them in strong winds.

My son has one and takes it out all the time when going walking or out for the day. Small enough to take anywhere and the footage is good.  

Just watched this video on the DJI Mavick Mini, I was very impressed with the camera footage, be great filming someone shooting pigeons or Pheasants/Partridges, price new around £350-£400...

19 minutes ago, johnphilip said:

You don't sit on them Mel 😀😀

A drone big enough to get my fat carcass off the ground would need to be built by Boeing 😅

7 minutes ago, kenholland said:

one of my customers found a downed drone in his garden last year.

Funnily enough,  we spot the odd crashed one when we're at work.

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

Well he’s got a bin lorry license so anything is possible 😂😂😂

You need a special license to drive a bin lorry? ????.    when the council asked me if I had a license I said, yes , mine covers me for everything.  I thought they meant colour TV license? ???😆.

17 minutes ago, kenholland said:

one of my customers found a downed drone in his garden last year.

Years ago I found a remote controlled plane that had crashed in a field of rape I was shooting on, never found out who it belonged to, even asked at a model flying club that was about five miles away, but they were no help, apart from a couple of them said they would buy the bits from me, and it was in bits, think I still have the engine somewhere.

We had a lad come to work in the summer of 2019, he had lost his drone and thought it may have come our way.

He was able to show me what the camera could see and I recognised where it was.

He was very relieved when we got it for him.

It was apparently worth 2K and daddy would not have been pleased!

17 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

We had a lad come to work in the summer of 2019, he had lost his drone and thought it may have come our way.

He was able to show me what the camera could see and I recognised where it was.

He was very relieved when we got it for him.

It was apparently worth 2K and daddy would not have been pleased!

That's a lot of money flying off into the distance 😢

19 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

You need a special license to drive a bin lorry? ????.    when the council asked me if I had a license I said, yes , mine covers me for everything.  I thought they meant colour TV license? ???😆.

That’s the one 

well it not like you’re local pc is going to stop you and say ey up mate what you got in the back and by the way let’s see your license 😂😂🙄

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

That’s the one 

well it not like you’re local pc is going to stop you and say ey up mate what you got in the back and by the way let’s see your license 😂😂🙄

I actually remember one of the trucks getting pulled over , and the driver failing the breath test . That one caused a bit of embarrassment 😅

1 hour ago, mel b3 said:

I actually remember one of the trucks getting pulled over , and the driver failing the breath test . That one caused a bit of embarrassment 😅

And there’s me thinking that you’re had to drive them like you were drunk 😵 

speaking of which have you told your daughter that you are recovering or is she still leaving the bottle of rum on the doorstep each day?🤭🤔

Edited by Old farrier

2 hours ago, old'un said:

Years ago I found a remote controlled plane that had crashed in a field of rape I was shooting on, never found out who it belonged to, even asked at a model flying club that was about five miles away, but they were no help, apart from a couple of them said they would buy the bits from me, and it was in bits, think I still have the engine somewhere.

I used to fly RC heli's years ago and had one fail to respond while climbing out the club field where a group of us regularly flew, it disappeared into cloud. I contacted the Helicopter club of GB to see if any local pilot wanted to swap a search mission for a go with an RC one. I was fortunate to get a reply from someone local with an old hughes 300 that needed a maintenance flight to have a downwind search but dint find it. I had a second model at the flying site and gave him a go but he was too slow on the controls, it yawed and flipped it over in about 10 seconds. Its easier to fly one from the pilots seat as you are always facing forwards.

After advertising a reward in local papers it turns out that it had run out of fuel with the blades in positive pitch and 'reverse pitch auto'd' upright back down hitting some power cables on the way. Someone had watched it descend, I wouldn't have thought that could happen but had no reason to think he lied. Course it was damaged: onboard battery pack had fell off the mount after retaining rubber band had let go and separated at the inline slip in connector. Lesson learned and a good day out though for both pilots for not a lot of money lost.

3 hours ago, Old farrier said:

And there’s me thinking that you’re had to drive them like you were drunk 😵 

speaking of which have you told your daughter that you are recovering or is she still leaving the bottle of rum on the doorstep each day?🤭🤔

i only managed the rum for a couple of days , i was being a little bit jokey about covid at first , but once it really got me , i couldnt even open a bottle of rum , never mind drink it . my ambition outweighed my ability :blush:.

1 hour ago, discobob said:

There was footage doing the rounds on Facebook - I think it was a FPV (like a VR headset) and they were flying it in - releasing a clay and basically getting the shot hitting the clay

Here it is

How cool is that .