It's all beyond my comprehension.

JDog

Gentlemen I would like some more help.

I have what I believe is called an Ethernet cable which runs from my Broadband hub underground and outside to my studio office. There it ends in a socket on the wall and a cable connects from that to my computer to give me broadband. It all works pretty well.

Is there any way of connecting between this computer and my Samsung Galaxy A20 mobile phone to give me broadband service on the phone whilst I am in the office? There seems to be a spare port on the phone which I have never used. I have no 4G nor mobile phone service in the office.

the short answer is yes

you (or someone on your behalf) simply need to install another hub in your office in pass through mode. You can use the same socket/cable you already have. Maybe find a local IT person to come and do it for you if funds allow, should be less than £80 including hub as only a 5 minute job.

I assume you have WiFi in the house. Depending if you can pick up a signal from the house to boost you buy a WiFi booster that plugs into a power socket. Alternatively can you double the socket from the house cable. You would have one connection for your computer and one for your WiFi booster to connect by wire to the home rooter. You could then just use WiFi to connect the phone. Worth contacting a local computer engineer to discuss and sort.

Not an expert, but I believe you can get a WiFi point that plugs into the end of the ethernet.  I have one of these https://www.netgear.co.uk/home/products/networking/wifi-range-extenders/EX6120.aspx#tab-features

It can eirther be used as a WiFi range extender OR you can plug it into the ethernet - and it will be a 'new' WiFi source.

I do not use it as I have moved to a 'whole home' WiFi system - so if it is any use to you (I have the manuals as pdfs) - drop me a pm.

Is your shed/man cave/shooting emporium on the same electrical circuit as the house? Ie no other fuse box?

If it is you can get a very simple solution in the form of 2 bt plugs (others make them but I've used the bt ones and they are fine). 1  plugs into the router via the ethernet cable and then into a plug socket (same one as its a pass through)  and the other plugs into a socket in your shed. Your phone then pics up the WiFi. 

It basically uses the wiring in your electrical sockets/house to transmit the data between plugs. Some have WiFi and some don't so be careful to get the right one. 

If there is another fuse box then it doesn't work so we'll for an off the shelf product and there are other slightly less simple solutions .

They don't cost much. 

TP-Link AC1200 Wireless Dual Band Router

I used one of these for a similar requirement, like most bits of tech these days it does lots of things.  In Jdog's scenario simply plugging the Ethernet cable that currently goes between the existing computer and the wall socket into the AC1200, and a 2nd Ethernet cable between AC1200 and the computer and the job is sorted.    The Router offers dual-band wireless for the mobile phone to access broadband.

@JDogthe router cosmic blue has posted will do the job perfectly.  As you already have (I assume) a router in the main house into which your Ethernet cable is plugged into, all you would need to do is switch the unit into ‘access point mode’ so it’s effectively shaving onto the existing router and plug it into the RJ45 socket in your office.  Then you would be able to plug your pc into the router and it will also provide WiFi for your phone.  

I design network infrastructure for a living, if you get the kit and want a chat to talk through it - I’d be happy to pass on my number via pm.

21 minutes ago, JDog said:

Thank you everyone for your comments.

The outside office has its own electricity supply with fuse box. Does this make any difference?

It would if you tried to use one of the data over mains wiring plug ins - as it wouldn’t work.  But, if you go for a wireless access point as per cosmic blues post, you’d be up and running in no time.

1 hour ago, Jonty said:

@JDogthe router cosmic blue has posted will do the job perfectly.  As you already have (I assume) a router in the main house into which your Ethernet cable is plugged into, all you would need to do is switch the unit into ‘access point mode’ so it’s effectively shaving onto the existing router and plug it into the RJ45 socket in your office.  Then you would be able to plug your pc into the router and it will also provide WiFi for your phone.  

I design network infrastructure for a living, if you get the kit and want a chat to talk through it - I’d be happy to pass on my number via pm.

Jonty mate, could he not use an old Wi-Fi router to achieve the same results, rather than buying a new one?

That's if he has an old router of course?

8 minutes ago, old'un said:

Jonty mate, could he not use an old Wi-Fi router to achieve the same results, rather than buying a new one?

That's if he has an old router of course?

He could mate, it’s a case of switching off the routing function which is easier on som than it is on others depending on the settings.  Just for ease of the job it may be more straightforward to shell out £25 for something that has a pre-set AP mode.

10 minutes ago, Jonty said:

He could mate, it’s a case of switching off the routing function which is easier on som than it is on others depending on the settings.  Just for ease of the job it may be more straightforward to shell out £25 for something that has a pre-set AP mode.

Yep, I see your point and as he already has an Ethernet cable running to his studio office its perhaps the quickest and easiest option. :good:

As you already have an ethernet wall point in your office, you might consider swapping the face place for something like this.....TP-Link EAP115-WALL 300 m Bit/s PoE WLAN Access Point - White: Amazon.co.uk: Computers & Accessories

It acts as a wireless access point, and maintains the option of a wired connection.  Faster models are available from the same manufacturer at a higher cost.  The access point would need to be configured by someone - you need to decide what security to use, what you want to call the wireless network etc.  You'd need to have the existing cable unpatched then made off with an RJ-45 connector that plugs into the back of this wall plate (the same connector on LAN cables).

Edit: Forgot that this gets its power over the ethernet cable, so your router/switch needs to support power over ethernet (PoE) or you need to supply power via a device called a power injector.

Edited by Piebob

22 hours ago, JDog said:

I have what I believe is called an Ethernet cable which runs from my Broadband hub underground and outside to my studio office. There it ends in a socket on the wall and a cable connects from that to my computer to give me broadband. It all works pretty well.

Is there any way of connecting between this computer and my Samsung Galaxy A20 mobile phone to give me broadband service on the phone whilst I am in the office? There seems to be a spare port on the phone which I have never used. I have no 4G nor mobile phone service in the office.

Is that in 12 bore or 28 bore?😎

23 hours ago, JDog said:

It is very easy to solve this problem:

1. Purchase or dig out a WiFi access point with network switch (basically a router)

2. Plug that into the incoming cable in your shed

3. Plug your computer into the network switch at the back 

4. Connect your phone onto this new wireless network and enable WiFi calls

Your devices will automatically switch between the wireless networks based upon signal strength. I used this in my old 4 storey house with stone walls. 3 routers gave perfect coverage and I  never needed to think again about which WiFi network I was on.

The above should take less than 10 minutes to complete. 

The main issue with using an old router is that it will, most likely, have DHCP enabled. This hands out IP addresses to devices that connect to it. This DHCP scope could be on a different range/subnet to the main router in the house, or could try to hand out IPs that have already been allocated. Some routers have Access Point mode, but most of the routers you get from a provider will have this feature disabled as they don't want you re purposing their kit.

The easiest way is to turn off DHCP and make sure the router IP is on the same range as your main hub. Sometimes they can be set to get their IP from DHCP, but not always. It can be a bit of a faff, but with reservations and a few tweaks it's perfectly doable.

The simplest option is to buy a dedicated Access Point. This will need minimal config and some let you extend your same wireless network