Deactivating shotguns

Lampwick

I fancied having a go at deactivating one of my old side by sides and had a chat with my FLO who said I must be done by an RFD? 

I appreciate that it would need sending off to the proof house after required works but thought I could do them myself if the rules are followed? 

Anyone have any thoughts? Also any ideas how much an RFD would charge?

Cheers 

We have looked into this. My son wants to turn one of my hammer guns into a lamp standard.

I actually phoned the Birmingham proof house and spoke to a very nice guy.

Short answer is yes you can do it yourself and it takes two visits to the proof house to get it done and completely knackers your gun. RFD wanted £200.

Hope this helps.

Edited by DUNKS

A big part of the cost by a RFD is the transporting the gun to the proof house and back....why 2 visits?   .   The Proof House part is the thing that needs to be sorted to keep the police happy, anyone can do the deactivation, if they have the knowledge, skill and tools.  

5 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

We have looked into this. My son wants to turn one of my hammer guns into a lamp standard.

I actually phoned the Birmingham proof house and spoke to a very nice guy.

Short answer is yes you can do it yourself and it takes two visits to the proof house to get it done and completely knackers your gun. RFD wanted £200.

Hope this helps.

Lamp stand is what I fancied making.

Two visits to the proof house! Any ideas why? It’s a bit of a plus for me. 

3 hours ago, Lampwick said:

Lamp stand is what I fancied making.

Two visits to the proof house! Any ideas why? It’s a bit of a plus for me. 

I am old and cant remember detail but as far as I can  Slots cut in underside of barrels and plugs welded in, firing pin holes drilled out Locks taken out and welded up so cant operate/ Gun sent to proof house with locks attached with string. First inspection.

Gun taken back locks fitted and securing screw welded in. Barrels attached and forend iron welded onto barrels. Again submit to proof house for final proof. This is as I remember it and seemed a bit excessive. This was for a sidelock hammer gun

Edited by DUNKS

So thinking about it. If you really must have a fine old lamp standard why not use an antique muzzle loader. "and there are some fine ones about" which do not need a licence! I was amazed when my son gave me one for Christmas that I could have kept it unlicenced. I have had it put onto my SGC because I want to shoot it.