When are points removed from driving license

ilovemyheckler

The points are valid for 3 years and have to stay on your licence for 4. Insurance companies normally ask if you've had any convictions in the last 5 years so it doesn't matter if the points are still on your licence or not. 

Edited by walshie

My insurance doesn't go up for one fairly standard speeding (i.e. not more than 3 points and basic fine).  I have had both (but over 10 years apart) a 30 m.p.h. one and a 70 m.p.h. one (in both cases not far over) and my insurance told me that one 'current' standard speeding doesn't alter the premium.  I have none now 😁

13 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

this

Since our insurance broker packed up several years I have been getting my car insurance on line and by going by what I used to pay I have been saving myself a small fortune , to be on the right side of the law I have been disclosing my 35 mile an hour fine that was in a 30 mile limit , this was five years ago in March , I mentioned it last year as they wanted to know about convictions over the last five years , but when mine come up for renewal in Oct it will now be left blank .

On 06/02/2021 at 16:26, steve_b_wales said:

I've got one on my paper license from 1975. Insurance companies usually ask 'within the past 5 years'.

🙂 That made me chuckle. I recently ( last January ) renewed my driving licence as I lost mine literally decades ago, and needed details from it to fill out a form. 
I went online, paid my 20 quid and in less than a week received a brand spanking new credit type card with my pic’ on it. 
Id been aware that I hadn’t been legit’ since losing it, and as these things often pan out, was looking through a diary I found from 1978 while having a clear out, and lo and behold what should be tucked up inside it! Yep, dated 1977 it had been there all these years and through four house moves! I was amused to find a conviction on it for driving without a license and insurance, for which I was fined £13.00! 

At the time it was almost my entire weeks wage! 😳

Edited by Scully