Quick wood burner - what to flue?

Demonic69

On 27/02/2021 at 09:57, Demonic69 said:

I filled mine with water, left it 2 days. Emptied it, filled and emptied again. Still smelled of gas so took it to a safe area and put a torch to it. Queue massive flame out the top and a loud roar for about a second. Brown trouser moment indeed!

Glad I checked though, would have been much worse if I'd been using the grinder at the time.

I wonder if washing up liquid would have helped? Does Butane behave differently to other gasses?

Propane works down to lower temperatures than butane , but I would imagine the explosion would be similar if you get it wrong😲

2 hours ago, strimmer_13 said:

See I've never had any of that, might pop a bit but I always cut the door when it full of water and laying on its side. 

That's how I do them , only with the bottle standing upright on a workbench . I pre Mark the door , then while it's filled with water,  I start the bottom cut , as soon as I see water , I start the top cut . I then drain the bottle,  and fully cut the hinge side of the door . At that point I weld the hinges on , then finish cutting the rest of the door. Doing it that way makes sure that the door is perfectly in line , with no faffing about later.

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

That's how I do them , only with the bottle standing upright on a workbench . I pre Mark the door , then while it's filled with water,  I start the bottom cut , as soon as I see water , I start the top cut . I then drain the bottle,  and fully cut the hinge side of the door . At that point I weld the hinges on , then finish cutting the rest of the door. Doing it that way makes sure that the door is perfectly in line , with no faffing about later.

Yea pretty much the same, cut hinge side first, sand the bottom or top so can get a good earth, weld hinges on then cut the other 3 sides. All the while if its flat most of the water stays in and only get a few pops. Then get the flower pot, mark out the top for funnel and cut that too. 

Ill be having a go at a 50kg bottle soon enough, once I sort out another welder as this ones 16amp and my garage ain't, the last one I cut, the door was huge and it folded in on its self, how do you stop it bending inwards under its own tension from being formed - with out hammering it out of shape? 

these are a couple that i made years ago , when i first started to make them . ive made a few dozen since then, but i dont really enjoy making them so much these days.

these were also back when i used to make the hinges , i just use cheap shop bought steel hinges these days.

Screenshot_2020-04-21-13-04-36-1.png

Edited by mel b3

11 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

Yea I cut a door like that big sod on the right and it folded in about a inch on itself, any tips how to stop that? 

you cant really do much about that ( not without faffing with heat treatment anyway) , its just the tension in the steel . if it was an indoor log burner it would need to be perfect , but for an outdoor job , near enough will do.:good:

edited to add . i just like to throw things together . i can do perfect , but i dont enjoy it.

Edited by mel b3

59 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

these are a couple that i made years ago , when i first started to make them . ive made a few dozen since then, but i dont really enjoy making them so much these days.

these were also back when i used to make the hinges , i just use cheap shop bought steel hinges these days.

Do you find the holes at the bottom good enough as air intake? I was going to make an adjustable one but I don't have the energy 🤣

6 hours ago, Demonic69 said:

Do you find the holes at the bottom good enough as air intake? I was going to make an adjustable one but I don't have the energy 🤣

I find the holes more than adequate to be honest , but like I said , it's just for outdoors,  so if it needs more air , I'd just open the door a bit.

I've done several with air intakes ,and they do take a lot more work.

On 28/02/2021 at 20:46, mel b3 said:

Very impressive Mel, they look really good.

5 minutes ago, powler said:

Very impressive Mel, they look really good.

cheers buddy. i got much better , and faster , after id made a few .  youll soon get fed up of making them when your mates see them and they all want one :yes:.

Just now, mel b3 said:

cheers buddy. i got much better , and faster , after id made a few .  youll soon get fed up of making them when your mates see them and they all want one :yes:.

I can imagine, you should of just sold them on the bay and pointed said mates to go look on there.

1 hour ago, powler said:

I can imagine, you should of just sold them on the bay and pointed said mates to go look on there.

i did . i never charge friends and relatives for things , but when i was being asked for mates of mates , i started charging £25.00 each , that didnt slow requests , so i started charging £50.00 each , that still didnt slow the orders down , but i was too embarrassed to charge more . i was making them production line style as its a lot faster , and i could produce two each afternoon after work . i enjoyed the first few , but i eventually got sick and fed up of making them , so i stopped.