Recomendation for a good whiskey

Harry136

Possibly consider Auchentoshen, although it's not from the great production areas such as Speyside or Islay, it is one of only two triple distilled Scottish whiskys.

To be honest, I'd recommend touring Scotland and visiting a couple of distilleries to understand more about the history, production and regional variations.

It's a very personal thing.

I have little experience of whiskies, apart from a mate from Govan buying me a Glayvar once to cure me of my habit of retching whenever I smelled the stuff. Strangely enough it worked, and whilst I’m never going to be a fan, I early season had a slug of Drambuie from someone’s hip flask on a shoot, which was a very enjoyable first for me, and at Christmas bought both a bottle of that and Glayvar. 
I once won a bottle of Glenfarclas 10 year old single Malt for completing the Shooting Times crossword, and swapped it for six bottles of good wine from a fellow shooters collection. 
And that is my entire experience of whiskey, so don’t listen to me.

Edited: that is unless you regard Southern Comfort as a whisky. I could drink that like it was going out of fashion, but underwent a self imposed ban many moons ago as it had a bit of a Jekyl and Hyde effect on me. Got myself into lots of trouble. 

Edited by Scully

Whisky is so varied and what people like so different, its is only really possible to recommend what you like yourself.

Therefore - I suggest going to Aldi or Lidl.  They have three 'in house brands - Aldi's is called Glen Marnoch, not sure what Lidl's is called.  They are both available in Highland (blue label), Speyside (purple label), and Islay (green label) 'regions' as a basic malt whisky - with some older more deluxe versions around.  All are cheap for a malt whisky - and perfectly passable to drink being representative of the style.

Speyside is easy drinking and probably the most likely to please for the beginner, with Highland slighly peatier - and Islay the most peaty and probably the least 'easy' for the non whisky drinker.

I would buy an Aldi/Lidl Speyside (or Highland) for about £20 or less - and see how you like it.  If it goes down well - explore more widely (and more expensively!)