Remmy 1100 not cycling

everycal

Hi all. I’ve brought a 12 bore 1100 thats new to me. Goes bang nicely but It won’t cycle for anything. Tried a new O ring. Different cartridges and cleaning/oiling the action. I’ve read the posts on here previously And can’t seem to find anything New/specific. Can anyone give me any other tips or anything to retry? Fits like a glove so I’d love to get it working as intended. Thanks. 

Hmmm ???  Sure you have cleaned the hole in the barrel .... no not the big one at the end:lol:. There is a small hole in the part/ring which slides over the magazine and this allows the gasses from the cartridge going off to cycle the action.  Stumped otherwise because the 1100 is such a reliable gun if kept clean.

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Hmmm   Sure you have cleaned the hole in the barrel .... no not the big one at the end. There is a small hole in the part/ring which slides over the magazine and this allows the gasses from the cartridge going off to cycle the action.  Stumped otherwise because the 1100 is such a reliable gun if kept clean.

Yes I’ve done that thanks

36 minutes ago, walshie said:

Mine doesn't cycle 28gr reliably, but 30gr no problem. 

Tried 32/34g with no luck 😔

34 minutes ago, Andy H said:

Does it open the action and eject the empty but not feed the new round into the chamber.

Doesn’t eject the empty. Not sure if it tries to open the chamber. Difficult to see when you’re shooting. I’ll try and see

7 minutes ago, Donkey said:

Are the Two metal piston rings the correct way round other than that clean the gas port hole with a pipe cleaner as posted above 

good luck they are great guns

Yes they are. Thanks. Forgot to say I’d checked that. 

Darn it!!!! Never thought of that I I had the same problem with the extractor on my 16 gauge. The extractor was broken off.  Easy peesy job to replace it if it has.  I might have spare somewhere as I believe they are all the same size regardless of gauge.

29 minutes ago, Rob85 said:

Is it cycling but not actually pulling the spent cartridge out? Extractor completely shafted?

So many things it "might be ". Including that if the guns an old one you may just have bought someone else's trouble .

1100 were very reliable guns but like all guns there are several common faults that do occur , unfortunately  without a physical examination some are hard to explain after you have eliminated the obvious , Rings , extractor, gas ports . breech block connecter fork ,interrupter spring etal .

36 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Darn it!!!! Never thought of that I I had the same problem with the extractor on my 16 gauge. The extractor was broken off.  Easy peesy job to replace it if it has.  I might have spare somewhere as I believe they are all the same size regardless of gauge.

It just came to me as a couple of years ago I was looking at one on guntrader and a friend of mine said something about great handling guns but a bit soft with the extractors, or possibly the extractor spring, cycling some cartridges fast by hand might show if the extractor is at fault

Right bit of an update. It came with 2 barrels. A 24” one that I brought it for as I wanted short barrels and a 28” one. Only tried it with the 24” so far. As id done everything suggest above I thought I’d change the barrels just to see. Sure enough with the 28” barrels it cycles fine?!??

4 hours ago, everycal said:

Thanks it does and I have an FAC slot too. 
Does anyone have ideas about why one barrel would cycle and the other not? 

FAC slot or not, the ownership of a semi or pump shotgun that is shorter than 40" would see it classes as Section 5, not Section 1/FAC
Bears repeating, not for yourself, but spreading the information helps it be more easily found & hopefully prevent any embarrassment 

Maybe that the 24" barrel needs a good clean of the gas ports, maybe with brake cleaner fluid or similar?
There is a very good book on gunsmithing the Remington shotguns by Jerry Kuhnhausen, which covers all manner of issues which pop up in the pump and semi auto models.

I had an 870 which sometimes was not too keen on chucking the fired case from the receiver. Used it for almost 2 years in PSG until another 870 owner asked where the ejector was....

Happy to check in my copy of the Kuhnhausen book if you still have issues with cycling

14 hours ago, saddler said:

FAC slot or not, the ownership of a semi or pump shotgun that is shorter than 40" would see it classes as Section 5, not Section 1/FAC
Bears repeating, not for yourself, but spreading the information helps it be more easily found & hopefully prevent any embarrassment 

Maybe that the 24" barrel needs a good clean of the gas ports, maybe with brake cleaner fluid or similar?
There is a very good book on gunsmithing the Remington shotguns by Jerry Kuhnhausen, which covers all manner of issues which pop up in the pump and semi auto models.

I had an 870 which sometimes was not too keen on chucking the fired case from the receiver. Used it for almost 2 years in PSG until another 870 owner asked where the ejector was....

Happy to check in my copy of the Kuhnhausen book if you still have issues with cycling

Thank you very much. And noted. I’ve checked and mines fine thankfully. I’ll check that and if it doesn’t work I’ll take you up on your kind offer thanks. 

50 minutes ago, everycal said:

Thank you very much. And noted. I’ve checked and mines fine thankfully. I’ll check that and if it doesn’t work I’ll take you up on your kind offer thanks. 

No problem.
Another possible idea, which I have seen mentioned elsewhere,
Get a wooden dowel that fits the chamber, wrap the dowel in 0000 grade wire wool...so that it still fits the chamber.
Insert one end of dowel into an electric drill, the opposite end into the chamber.
Turn on drill and polish the chamber for 5 to 10 minutes.