What Electric Planer

billytheghillie

22 hours ago, billytheghillie said:

Was thinking of obtaining one of the above, any good ones out there for the novice DIYer?  Must be reasonable priced. Thanks.

What are you trying to do exactly?

They're brilliant at making an awful mess of the terrible, overpriced timber you get in DIY sheds, unless you're very careful.

If you have a knowledgable local around, you're probably better off learning how to setup and use a hand plane.  But this is definitely a case of show me, rather than try and learn from Youtube.

If you're trying to make cheap internal doors fit non-square holes in an old house, I'd honestly by a cheapo tracksaw (Lidl) and keep 'nibbling' away with that, using a hand plane and belt sander where you need less than the kerf width taken off

Only had one but it’s a old ryobi and it cost me £14 used and been through a few sets of blades and mullered the power cable a few times! Unless you are going to go mad with it then one of the cheaper brands should do everything a more expensive one will do. 

they are quite aggressive as said before so go steady.