AYA Best quality boxlock

Bungle The Bear

15 minutes ago, London Best said:

I would just add that it states, “all AYA sidelocks are fitted with intercepting sears.”

For most of the years - that would be true as they were all based on the Holland type action, but between about 1979 and 1985,6,7 they made the Senior based on a copy of the Purdey/Beesley - and that was a sidelock and didn't have intercepting safety, but the normal safety catch bolted the sears (NOT the triggers).

4 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

For most of the years - that would be true as they were all based on the Holland type action, but between about 1979 and 1985,6,7 they made the Senior based on a copy of the Purdey/Beesley - and that was a sidelock and didn't have intercepting safety, but the normal safety catch bolted the sears (NOT the triggers).

Correct. I read exactly that this afternoon in the Spanish Best book. Very, very few made though. Have you any idea how many?

PS my brochure dates from, I think, 1967.

Edited by London Best

6 minutes ago, London Best said:

Correct. I read exactly that this afternoon in the Spanish Best book. Very, very few made though. Have you any idea how many?

Yes, about 40, which included a set of six (numbered 1 to 6 and made for a Spanish banking family apparently), a set of three - and some pairs.  All were 12 bore except one 16 bore.  All had factory 'rose and scroll' engraving of a very high quality.  Some had a concealed 3rd bite, some didn't.  One was built with a single trigger and pistol grip (and was the factory demonstration gun apparently), though one (composed) pair were subsequently converted to single trigger by the factory.

I have one (unfortunately the single trigger one!) which has 2 sets of barrels.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I had a 20 bore AyA BQB in the 1970's. It had superb wood, scalloped action (scrolled) nicely engraved and with 28" barrels. I stupidly part chopped it for a O/U clay gun, due to it's lack of use. It ended up in a gun shop in Ellesmere Port and I nearly bought it back. As I had a Westley Richards (and still have), it was a reasonable copy even if it was a 'glorified No. 4' as the guy in the gun shop described it.