One for the eel fishermen...

Houseplant

On 08/02/2021 at 11:19, Houseplant said:

Well a phobia is a phobia, illogical. My Mrs is the same, god help us if we ever move to Aussie 😂

True phobia are rare. Most are learned aversions. In my work I've helped people with illogical fears of everything from stage fright and flying to dogs and spiders. I was told in training that the two naturally occurring phobias (as in scared without any prior bad experience) are snakes and fear of heights. Of course a fear off snakes can be built up out of proportion and addressed. 

On 08/02/2021 at 16:26, islandgun said:

guessing they are not related to our silver eels which breed in the Sargasso sea. 

I'm expecting someone more knowledgeable than me to correct me if I'm wrong, but don't European eels breed in the Sargasso sea, come into the UK and go upstream as elvers, spend up to 20 years inland as "yellow" eels and head out to sea as silver? We don't know what sparks the change.  I had a lesson on eels at school that stuck and the recent research when they found how and where eels spawn only came out a couple of years ago. 

Super video. Just so lovely. Thanks for sharing. 

6 hours ago, ehb102 said:

True phobia are rare. Most are learned aversions. In my work I've helped people with illogical fears of everything from stage fright and flying to dogs and spiders. I was told in training that the two naturally occurring phobias (as in scared without any prior bad experience) are snakes and fear of heights. Of course a fear off snakes can be built up out of proportion and addressed. 

Interesting. I'm sure my snake "phobia" was learnt as a child. It's getting better as I get older. What's the therapy? I hope it's not flooding therapy! 

4 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Interesting. I'm sure my snake "phobia" was learnt as a child. It's getting better as I get older. What's the therapy? I hope it's not flooding therapy! 

I do something called Traumatic Incident Reduction. It's definitely not flooding therapy! It's all talk. Identify the unwanted feelings, find the root, address it, process it, problem gone.  

7 minutes ago, ehb102 said:

I do something called Traumatic Incident Reduction. It's definitely not flooding therapy! It's all talk. Identify the unwanted feelings, find the root, address it, process it, problem gone.  

Thanks. It's not an issue at present, but if we move to Australia, a fear of snakes would be a problem. Don't think I would enjoy hunting, fishing, camping etc until I got over it. Crocs, spiders and sharks not a problem 😀

4 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Thanks. It's not an issue at present, but if we move to Australia, a fear of snakes would be a problem. Don't think I would enjoy hunting, fishing, camping etc until I got over it. Crocs, spiders and sharks not a problem 😀

This might sound a bit daft , but might a snake identification book help ?. Gaining knowledge of harmless snakes , and the ones that you really do need to steer clear of , might be very useful in Australia. 

4 hours ago, mel b3 said:

This might sound a bit daft , but might a snake identification book help ?. Gaining knowledge of harmless snakes , and the ones that you really do need to steer clear of , might be very useful in Australia. 

I don't think it's a simple with a true phobia. I don't like spiders much (used to be absolutely terrified) but I know very well they won't hurt in the UK.

Been to Australia many times, spiders out there are even more horrific in size and poisonousness, doesn't mean I now like UK ones.  I am not as bothered about spiders as when I was a kid but still wouldn't want one on me. I just don't freak out if I see one any more.

Snakes don't bother me but I'm not going to pick one up without knowing it isn't poisonous.

5 hours ago, mel b3 said:

Sensible, but it won't help as I want to steer clear of all of them! Even grass snakes freaked me out in the UK 🤣 

1 hour ago, 39TDS said:

I don't think it's a simple with a true phobia. I don't like spiders much (used to be absolutely terrified) but I know very well they won't hurt in the UK.

Been to Australia many times, spiders out there are even more horrific in size and poisonousness, doesn't mean I now like UK ones.  I am not as bothered about spiders as when I was a kid but still wouldn't want one on me. I just don't freak out if I see one any more.

Snakes don't bother me but I'm not going to pick one up without knowing it isn't poisonous.

I can understand that . I have a fear of heights , it's not really a phobia though , as it's not so much the height that bothers me , it's what I'm standing on that worries me.

I'd disagree about UK spiders though , I've had a couple of nasty bites over the years , the last one was two years ago , and it's left a large lump on my finger , that changes size and shape regularly , and reacts almost instantly whenever I get a nettle sting 👍.

9 minutes ago, Houseplant said:

Sensible, but it won't help as I want to steer clear of all of them! Even grass snakes freaked me out in the UK 🤣 

Do you know when it started ?, or has it just always been there ?. I freak when a daddy long legs gets in the bedroom,  yet I'll happily lay in long grass with them crawling all over me😊.

21 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I'd disagree about UK spiders though , I've had a couple of nasty bites over the years , the last one was two years ago , and it's left a large lump on my finger , that changes size and shape regularly , and reacts almost instantly whenever I get a nettle sting 👍

I have heard of a few folk being bitten in UK. Makes no difference as I wouldn't want them on me anyway, nowt to do with biting.

I also have a fear of heights, I think it is incredibly sensible because you would be seriously hurt from a fall. 

43 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

Do you know when it started ?, or has it just always been there ?. 

Can't say exactly when it started, but I spent a lot of my childhood in southern Europe and there were a few encounters with snakes where my parents totally over-reacted. What ehb102 says about a learned aversion makes a lot of sense. 

6 hours ago, Houseplant said:

Can't say exactly when it started, but I spent a lot of my childhood in southern Europe and there were a few encounters with snakes where my parents totally over-reacted. What ehb102 says about a learned aversion makes a lot of sense. 

That makes perfect sense . I suppose that's just nature doing its thing . 

• 3 weeks later...