Cormorants

Old Boggy

Unlike JDog, who is clearly made of sterner stuff and also a tad younger than me, I decided not to venture out yesterday as the snow was steadily accumulating and the bitter Easterly wind held no enticement to go beyond the back door and the log store. Even the shed remained uninviting, so I lit the wood burner and settled down to watch Chris Green’s latest video ‘A Countryman’s Harvest’.

One chapter showed ‘The Wild Chef’, who’s name escapes me, shooting (under licence) a cormorant and then proceed to breast it out ready for cooking. Both the chef and Chris Green agreed that it tasted just like steak.

Being of a certain age, I have shot and eaten most waders on the then list, but have never shot or eaten cormorant, or had any inclination to even try it.

As many on here are of a similar age, or perhaps have a licence to cull a few, I was wondering if anyone has tried it. If so, what was it like. I always imagined that they would taste fishy, much the same as a seagull I tried many years ago.

OB

12 minutes ago, JDog said:

Never have I been accused of being ‘of sterner stuff’. I have always considered myself rather weedy.

I have never tried Cormorant myself but I have tried **** which I believe smells pretty similar.

Despite your self-depracating post, I do wonder what inspired you to try **** 😂

OB

On 08/02/2021 at 09:01, Old Boggy said:

Unlike JDog, who is clearly made of sterner stuff and also a tad younger than me, I decided not to venture out yesterday as the snow was steadily accumulating and the bitter Easterly wind held no enticement to go beyond the back door and the log store. Even the shed remained uninviting, so I lit the wood burner and settled down to watch Chris Green’s latest video ‘A Countryman’s Harvest’.

One chapter showed ‘The Wild Chef’, who’s name escapes me, shooting (under licence) a cormorant and then proceed to breast it out ready for cooking. Both the chef and Chris Green agreed that it tasted just like steak.

Being of a certain age, I have shot and eaten most waders on the then list, but have never shot or eaten cormorant, or had any inclination to even try it.

As many on here are of a similar age, or perhaps have a licence to cull a few, I was wondering if anyone has tried it. If so, what was it like. I always imagined that they would taste fishy, much the same as a seagull I tried many years ago.

OB

After finding a dead cormorant and squeezing out 4 fish and a tangle of parasitic worms the size of an apple I don't think I'd consider eating one 🤮

In the above mentioned video Chris Green referred to the cormorant as a ‘Parson’. I’ve heard them referred to as a Witch but not parson. The only reference that I’ve found is ‘Isle of Wight Parson’, so perhaps Old Farrier may be able to enlighten us on that.

OB

When ww2 rationing was in full swing, a friend of mine father had a little business going,with local house wives,all skinned and ready to cook,Sea geese(Cormorant),Sea hens(herring gulls)and if available Sea turkeys(gannets)sold no bother,but had to be steeped in clean water over night before cooking.

Home guard 12b cartridges in abundance once plenty of rifles came available,and a beach patrol line in Northumberland.