Labrador “breeder”/trainer?

wildfowler.250

Can anyone recommend a good gun dog trainer/kennel for sourcing a lab? Not essential if it’s red or black. Just need the usual health tests and hip and elbow scores and someone with a good name.

I’m sure there’s probably lots but would far rather go on recommendations of folk on here. Location wise ideally Scotland or north of England but would go further if required. Hopefully looking for the summer so if anyone knows of anything in the pipeline that would be amazing.

Thanks!

5 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Can anyone recommend a good gun dog trainer/kennel for sourcing a lab? Not essential if it’s red or black. Just need the usual health tests and hip and elbow scores and someone with a good name.

I’m sure there’s probably lots but would far rather go on recommendations of folk on here. Location wise ideally Scotland or north of England but would go further if required. Hopefully looking for the summer so if anyone knows of anything in the pipeline that would be amazing.

Thanks!

Have you seen any dogs that you like? 

If you don’t have any contacts with a bitch you want a pup out of, you can always speak to a stud dog owner as shown above and ask for contact details of bitches that have used their dogs ... but with dog thefts at the moment they might be a bit vague with locations etc, until the 11th hour. 

From labs I've seen I really like the look of Michael Jones’ stud dog, which came 4th in the 2019 IGL championship. 

I would give him a call to see what his dog has mated and try to find a decent bitch. 

He is the secretary of retrievers of the Carmarthenshire gundog society if you want to find him. 

12 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

Our stud dog has had a few matings so there will probably be a couple of litters arriving over the next few weeks around the Midlands area but probably too far south for you.

Cheers bud! A little too soon actually on the timescale but appreciate the offer. Probably looking more mid summer and covid makes things tricky as well!

8 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

Have you seen any dogs that you like? 

If you don’t have any contacts with a bitch you want a pup out of, you can always speak to a stud dog owner as shown above and ask for contact details of bitches that have used their dogs ... but with dog thefts at the moment they might be a bit vague with locations etc, until the 11th hour. 

From labs I've seen I really like the look of Michael Jones’ stud dog, which came 4th in the 2019 IGL championship. 

I would give him a call to see what his dog has mated and try to find a decent bitch. 

He is the secretary of retrievers of the Carmarthenshire gundog society if you want to find him. 

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m sure I could find the odd one locally. Got both our labs local over the years but fancied one from somewhere different.

I don’t know if it’s because they’re too common that people don’t tend to reply too much but if you mention say cockers people chip in with names like “poolegreen”/Clulee and Openshaw/“rytex”gun dogs but names don’t seem to get banded about quite the same for labs?

Thanks for the link, will have a look at it this evening!

Just now, wildfowler.250 said:

Thanks for the suggestion! I’m sure I could find the odd one locally. Got both our labs local over the years but fancied one from somewhere different.

I don’t know if it’s because they’re too common that people don’t tend to reply too much but if you mention say cockers people chip in with names like “poolegreen”/Clulee and Openshaw/“rytex”gun dogs but names don’t seem to get banded about quite the same for labs?

Thanks for the link, will have a look at it this evening!

Pm sent 👍🏻

12 hours ago, wildfowler.250 said:

Cheers bud! A little too soon actually on the timescale but appreciate the offer. Probably looking more mid summer and covid makes things tricky as well!

No worries.  Our lad gets a few studs so if you are still to get sorted later in the year then give me a shout and I will see what is about.  He throws a great stamp of a lab with great temperement.  Here's a pic of him (farthest away dog) and two of his sons and the two boys as young pups.

labs.jpg

IMG_0844[13279].JPG

Hi @MickeydreddI have a friend who is interested in getting a Labrador puppy, mostly as a pet but the husband would like to do some field training, your dog and his pups look magnificent specimens, could you possibly send me some details of any litters you may know of to pass on to her. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers