Email address query

Mickeydredd

Hi All

My other half has had a rather nasty anonymous email in response to an advert she put on a Facebook site to advertise her stud dog.

The email address appears to be From: JB Bower <studiocards@mail.com>

Can any of you good people enlighten me as to how any information might be gleaned from this email address?  Nobody is aware of anyone by the name JB Bower and I wondered if there is any info that can be captured from the "studiocards" bit.

Cheers

MD

3 hours ago, Mickeydredd said:

My other half has had a rather nasty anonymous email in response to an advert she put on a Facebook site to advertise her stud dog.

Was there an actual, credible threat of physical harm or just some loon ranting?

If the former, inform police on non-emergency number, if the latter, delete and move on with your life.

The email address will, as has been said, not be real.  Do not make the mistake of harassing a probably innocent director of a company with a similar name, or you'll end up in trouble.

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Was there an actual, credible threat of physical harm or just some loon ranting?

If the former, inform police on non-emergency number, if the latter, delete and move on with your life.

My other half replied to the email and got further abuse.  We think we know who it is as with modern outlook it groups emails and has oddly linked this email address with one from whom she received a stud enquiry last week that then didnt respond further.

2 hours ago, Benthejockey said:

01254 302222 give them a ring and see if anyone answers. 

She has already rang them and did get a reply.  Dormant company according to Companies House.

Edited by Mickeydredd

1 minute ago, Mickeydredd said:

My other half replied to the email and got further abuse. 

Never argue with an idiot.  They'll only bring you down to their level, and beat you with experience.

Honestly, let this drop.  It might be gallant that you're seeking to defend your wife's honour, or let her know that you have her back, or whatever.

But the referee (police) only ever sees the second punch.  If you value your tickets, keep a log and don't start playing detective/vigilante.  Even if you want to just have a word in their shell-like, the outcome of this will be escalation, and that's assuming you have identified the right person.  You start throwing your weight around with accusations against someone who you don't know...well, it'll be expensive if nothing else.

People like this thrive on the oxygen of reactions*.  Simply starve them of it.  To be blunt, your wife did the worst thing possible, which is respond to it.  Block the email address and move on.

Oh, and poorly written ads just scream 'semi literate mug' to me, for the sake of your wife, proof read them before hand, or she'll have to deal with more than the usual share of nutters/a-holes trying to get one over on her.

6 minutes ago, Mickeydredd said:

as with modern outlook it groups emails and has oddly linked this email address with one from whom she received a stud enquiry last week that then didnt respond further.

Outlook attempting to be helpful and grouping emails proves nothing.

*There are people on this very forum who love this form of endorphin release far too much.  They're better off blocked too.  Amazing how much more readable PW becomes.

I'm not seeking to defend her, just looking to see if there is a way to track them.  I wouldn't put my tickets at risk over this, I assure you, you are over-reading things.

Outlook shows a chain of emails these days within an email, so it does appear to be linked.

The add was not poorly written, it had one spelling mistake.

Edited by Mickeydredd

I couldn't give a monkeys tbh as it is really only someone wishing to anonymously slate her dog, whom is very well regarded in the trialing world.  The other half has got herself a bit wound up about it and it would be interesting to confirm who the culprit is just to shame them as they appear to be involved in the gundog world.

Edited by Mickeydredd

You need someone with some knowhow to get the IP address off the mail wrapper.

Tracking down home internet users who don’t have static IP addresses is a waste of time, but sometimes, if the sender is an idiot they will email you from a work domain / an IP address which easily resolves.

Some good advice as above, these people thrive on oxygen. If you don’t respond they don’t even know if their email made it past your spam filter and they wander off and find someone else to abuse.