Pigeons in the Beast from the East

kippylawkid

As previously reported, pigeon numbers seem to be multiplying daily in our area; particularly on the coastal strip that avoided recent snow. I have been happily chipping away at them, (to keep farmers happy and to beat the monotony of home working) without really threatening a big bag. The forecast 30mph easterly wind was perfect for one of a block of 3 fields I have been watching, crucially it also allowed me to shoot from a small fir planting that afforded decent shelter from the wind. It is on top of a steep slope and I hoped the decoys would stick out like sore thumbs to the pigeons. The lengthy haul of gear to the wood certainly warmed me up and I set up 8 dead birds on cradles, FF5 and a whirly (which decided to stop working after 5 minutes) and I was ready to shoot at 8.30. I didn't have long to wait as I could see the first waves of pigeons start to pour onto the fields, hedge hugging as I like to put it. A huge flock decoyed perfectly and I had 2 down. This wasn't to be the norm as subsequent flocks were very wary of my set up, despite my tinkering. The sport was top class though and enough came to the wood or decoys to make me forget about the sub-zero wind chill. The flight moved after a while and at least 500+ were feeding in a sheltered gully, about 200 yards away. I decided to walk them off and as I got nearer I realised they couldn't see me approaching, so Stan and I crept up to about 50 yards and when they flared I let fly 3 shots into the pack and dropped 5 (Pigeon extremes 34g No 5) I continued to shoot until 1130 but a combination of the flight changing and the wind chill penetrating my layers forced me home. Pigeons were still hitting one of the other fields hard but the thought of setting up on an open hedge in the storm wasn't an option - I'm either getting softer or wiser! Stan picked 37 hugely enjoyable but extremely hard fought pigeons. I also had skein after skein of pinks flight over me, some no more than 25 yards up. (You'll see my Post Office game bag in the photos, I did conceal it when I was shooting!) Similar to JD, the look of utter contempt I received from my better half on my return was a picture! It took a hot bath and a bowl of steaming broth to thaw me out. Bonkers maybe, but I'll be out again tomorrow!

Pig1.jpg

Pig2.jpg

Edited by kippylawkid

2 hours ago, kippylawkid said:

Not sure about that! 20 years ago I would have been out all day in shirt sleeves😉

20 years later , you can say , the older you get the wiser you get :lol: , and us living right on the coast use the saying , the wind from the East is no good for man and beast , a few hours yes , but now all  (full days ) are left to the hardy souls who are 20 or more years younger .

Good of you for braving the Beast From The East part 2