Alterations to existing wills.

VicW

Do any of the PW collective have any idea what altering existing wills costs these days, my wife and I want to make alterations to ours? We have spoken to a couple of solicitors offices but can't get any kind of answer without making an appointment which presumably means you will be charged for. We know that there are several charities  offering free will writing in exchange for a legacy but could that could finish up costing the same in the end but at least the charity gets something out of it.

Vic.

There are some solicitors locally that offer an initial consultation re a will which is 'free'.  Basically - I suppose they hope to talk you into needing work done - which would be chargeable. 

Ask when contacting them if the initial 'consultation' is free.  There is no harm in asking.

Depends on the alterations - if they are wholesale or groundbreaking like chopping out one of your offspring then get new ones drawn and go through a fresh process.

The average high street practice with 30 Members of staff will cost £100k just to stand still each month. Like all other businesses they are not charities and they have to charge for their time because it’s how the lights stay on. 

TBH, if it costs the same as to write a fresh one then go for a complete renewal why wouldn't you?  Also, the papers are often putting in articles where wills are being challenged and you'd be surprised how many are written where the owners think they're legal and they're not.  I know £200 is a lot of money but what price is the price for peace?

Do not try to write your own or use some cut and paste will writing service to try and save money.

On 08/02/2021 at 19:51, CharlieT said:

You are far better to write a new will. The cost won't be much more and it will save hassle should the codicil be misplaced or become separated from the will.

Or thrown away by somebody who didn't like what it said. It does happen.