Axe/maul handle.

GBS

I've broken the handle on my log splitting maul and need to find a replacement. I also have a spare maul head that I inherited some time ago.

The sockets are approximately 46mm x 30mm and 46mm x 34mm. Am I going to have to buy something like this Faithfull FAIAM42 Ash Maul Handle 1066 x 54 x 40mm | Toolden and shave it down to size (and shorten the shaft) or is there an easier way?

Lastly, I always thought hickory was the way to go but there seem to be ash and beech shafts available. Any to steer clear of?

Thanks, GBS

Have a look on here: https://www.oldtoolstore.co.uk/handles--axe-shafts-11-c.asp

Ray Iles is a brother of the famous Ashley Iles Chisel company. His place is a tool man’s Aladdin’s cave. He is also extremely knowledgeable and helpful and has a fantastic workshop where he makes a lot of the stuff he sells.

He will give advice over the phone and does mail order.

I have one of those splitting mauls with a fibreglass handle, sitting in the corner of my wood store gathering cobwebs.  I spent £200 and purchased a 6ton electric log splitter. It is the best thing since sliced bread and also will split suitable logs for starting wood as well.  Pity your so far away or you could have my manual one as a gift and I would dust the cobwebs off it.

20 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I have one of those splitting mauls with a fibreglass handle, sitting in the corner of my wood store gathering cobwebs.  I spent £200 and purchased a 6ton electric log splitter. It is the best thing since sliced bread and also will split suitable logs for starting wood as well.  Pity your so far away or you could have my manual one as a gift and I would dust the cobwebs off it.

That's very kind, thank you. I have bought three replacement handles for my two maul heads so this should satisfy my inner Neanderthal for some time! GBS