Moped for moving logs.

mel b3

I've had an idea in my head for a while now ,  but I don't really know if it's doable. 

I've been thinking about getting an old Honda cub/c90 etc , to move small logs around my woodland.  My idea is to remove all of the plastics etc , and fit very knobbly tyred and just load a large rucksack with logs and ferry them down from the higher places in my woodland.  I was thinking Honda cub as they're very quiet ( i don't want to disturb the whole valley) , and they're rev and go , so I can ride slowly with my feet near to the ground , they also have relatively large wheels , so I should be able to get through any muddy bits. 

Tractors and quads have all crossed my mind , but it's just too steep . I'd only be riding along sheep trails , and I wouldn't want to make them wide enough for a quad.

Has anyone ever done anything similar ?, and did it work ?.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine that's a perfect way of coming off the motorbike repeatedly, and if you've got a rucksack full of logs on your back, sooner or later (probably sooner) you're going to break something serious.

If it's downhill as much as you indicate, would a 2-wheel bogey, fat-tyred wheelbarrow, or even a dragline be easier - and safer !

7 hours ago, Gordon R said:

Do they have the clearance around the wheels to fit knobblies?

I've actually seen them with pretty aggressive tyres in the past . I assume that they were fitted without any kind of modifications,  but I couldn't be sure Gordon. 

45 minutes ago, matone said:

Surely a small trail bike would be simpler?

A small trail bike would be perfect , I just wanted something that was rev and go . I'm also very mindful of noise pollution,  and the fact that a mx bike might look like I was having too much fun , and make me look like a woodland vandal. 

16 minutes ago, robbiep said:

I would imagine that's a perfect way of coming off the motorbike repeatedly, and if you've got a rucksack full of logs on your back, sooner or later (probably sooner) you're going to break something serious.

If it's downhill as much as you indicate, would a 2-wheel bogey, fat-tyred wheelbarrow, or even a dragline be easier - and safer !

It's pretty steep , but it would be a case of following the sheep trails , so it's just zig zagging across the hill , rather than going up and down . I'd thought about an electric wheelbarrow, but it would mean an awful lot of walking . as the crow flys it's probably only a few hundred yards , but following the sheep trails might mean a round trip of 1.5 miles per load . A dragline would be good , but I can't see any way of setting one up (and it would probably be very expensive ), I'd also worry about too much damage to the ground as its ancient woodland, and a very pretty bluebell wood , the paths and sheep trails are already there , so any damage would be minimal with two wheels. 

9 minutes ago, Mungler said:

When you do it, you have to post a video 😆

I have nobody to take the video . lin and my lad have refused to play any part in it whatsoever.  They're both of the opinion that it's a xxxxxxx stupid idea that will just get me killed 😅.

9 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I have nobody to take the video . lin and my lad have refused to play any part in it whatsoever.  They're both of the opinion that it's a xxxxxxx stupid idea that will just get me killed 😅.

I agree with them. I was thinking of what You’ve Been Framed would pay for it 😆

When I was at school, we’d all tip over backwards in chairs from swinging on them and we’d pull chairs away from people about to sit down.

The very idea of it now at my age / size frightens the life out of me 😆

I think you’re teenager’s head is telling you that if you fall off you’ll be fine and healed up in no time at all. You’re teenager’s head is of course telling you nonsense 😝

1 hour ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, what about a large plastic sledge towed behind if logs tied on well, ? Green color 👍

That was another one of my ideas Gordon  , but it would mean widening the sheep trails . I also realised that the sledge would just be one more thing hit me as we rolled down the hill😅.

1 hour ago, Mungler said:

I agree with them. I was thinking of what You’ve Been Framed would pay for it 😆

When I was at school, we’d all tip over backwards in chairs from swinging on them and we’d pull chairs away from people about to sit down.

The very idea of it now at my age / size frightens the life out of me 😆

I think you’re teenager’s head is telling you that if you fall off you’ll be fine and healed up in no time at all. You’re teenager’s head is of course telling you nonsense 😝

It's like you read my mind 😅.

I know only too well that it'll lead to injury or death , but I can still hear the 18yr old Mel saying " it'll be a piece of cake , just ignore those old folks , what do they know" 😅

1 hour ago, Old farrier said:

This is the best idea you have ever had go for it 😊

proberably best to tow a sledge ( no brakes ) that’s sure to travel faster than the bike 😙

go pro on the handle bars should do it 😂

or option 2 get a horse 🤔

Lins input on the log transportation issue was , just get a donkey 😅.

18 minutes ago, Centrepin said:

Rucksack would need to be tough, ex Army bergan at least. Something with a frame to keep the wood from cutting into your back.

Your back will need to be strong and if you don't suffer back pain now, you will after a couple of loads.

Terrible idea, just from the back ache point. Don't do it.

Im a short fat 52 yr old , with a back that's already shot to pieces .😢

I've taken onboard what you've all said , you're all right ,and I completely agree , but now you've made me want to do it even more😅

16 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Mel, you will not get many logs in even a 100 litre longback bergan.

Think you will be far better off getting a pony to drag your wood to where you want it.

Lin already had the donkey idea , she wanted to get one of those blind and broken back with a leg missing donkeys , from the telly appeals 😅. I pointed out that I can just dump a moped in the woods when I've finished using it , but a donkey needs slightly more attention 😊.

14 minutes ago, London Best said:

This is not for You Have Been Framed, this is DARWIN AWARD stuff!

Where is your sense of adventure sir ?, Britain was made great by people dying needlessly for no sensible reason whatsoever 😊

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

I think you'll find that she refers to me as an *** 😅

2 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, a large old army rucksack, and stitch in some plastic sheet to the back ?

I'd thought about making some kind of drag bag , I could use the stuff that's used for curtain sides of HGV. 

8 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Lockdown madness has reached Tipton!

What will you spend your £250 on?

Are taking out special insurance for Lin to spend?

I've already had all the jokes , including the rescue helicopter will never be able to lift someone as fat as me off the side of the mountain , so they'll have to cut me up and carry me down in pieces 😅.

You lot will be putting me off the idea if you aren't careful 😅.

41 minutes ago, London Best said:

This is not for You Have Been Framed, this is DARWIN AWARD stuff!

I tend to agree here.   Have not yet had a look at the place but I would have gone for an over head drag line.  How far top to bottom is it?   A series of A frames to support  the line off the ground and to a certain extent the load could work and less chance of you finishing up with something more serious than your pride...BROKEN.   Even if you tie a sledge to the back of a bike , should that sledge decide to take the quick way down then you and the bike are going to follow.

6 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I've already had all the jokes , including the rescue helicopter will never be able to lift someone as fat as me off the side of the mountain , so they'll have to cut me up and carry me down in pieces 😅.

You lot will be putting me off the idea if you aren't careful 😅.

GOOD!!   and I am not joking.   Your too valuable in good order.

If you look at the prices of old C50s 70s & 90s In any condition, its as cheap to buy an old quad bike.

You might get a Chinese scooter Cheaper but even those now fetch surprising money these days.

I would look for an old ATV. Many of the cheaper ones have Honda CG125 clone engines and are fairly reliable. Go for one with chain drive, the Shaft drive versions are a pain if they go wrong. Chain drive is easier to keep running.

2 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I tend to agree here.   Have not yet had a look at the place but I would have gone for an over head drag line.  How far top to bottom is it?   A series of A frames to support  the line off the ground and to a certain extent the load could work and less chance of you finishing up with something more serious than your pride...BROKEN.   Even if you tie a sledge to the back of a bike , should that sledge decide to take the quick way down then you and the bike are going to follow.

GOOD!!   and I am not joking.   Your too valuable in good order.

id sort of thought about the suspended drag line idea , but id imagined using trees rather than A frames . the place is very long and narrow and a little bit L shaped . at its widest its only about 400 yards across , and very very steep , but its close to half a mile long , and dragging logs that far would be a pretty big job , especially if im only using a 12v winch on my car, and going full on industrial would be cripplingly expensive.

i already pull a bit of wood from the woodland ,just for craft jobs etc ,  but i have to carry it , i can manage logs up to about 50kg on my shoulder , but its pretty tough going as its all oak ,  two trips to the far end of the wood ,  and im wrecked for the day.

i want get enough logs to fuel my log burner and open fire , and moving so much by hand is more than i could manage nev . my lad and my mate(a pw member) help me out with the heavy stuff up there , but moving tons of oak every year is a big ask . im also mindful that im not getting any younger , and things that i can do now , might be impossible for me in five years time.

my mate is also very very old , and absolutely bone idle (just in case you read this stu):lol:.

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gravity has to be your friend in this instance!

this is what keeps pushing me on , their has to be a way , i just havent found it yet . 

if the bottom of my land was just a field , id happily , and easily , just roll logs down through the woodland , unfortunately , the edge of my land is very steep , and ends with a single track road . this road only has a handful of cars every day ( mainly game keepers and farmers) , the thought of setting a log rolling down from the top of the land , then hearing the farmer coming along on his quad , makes me do this face:cry1:

1 hour ago, MARSH GUN said:

If you look at the prices of old C50s 70s & 90s In any condition, its as cheap to buy an old quad bike.

You might get a Chinese scooter Cheaper but even those now fetch surprising money these days.

I would look for an old ATV. Many of the cheaper ones have Honda CG125 clone engines and are fairly reliable. Go for one with chain drive, the Shaft drive versions are a pain if they go wrong. Chain drive is easier to keep running.

this would be my second favourite option (a small tractor would be my first favourite option) , but it would mean widening the sheep trails by a very long way , and doing quite a lot of damage(and take a lot of work) to the woodland , especially where the track goes around trees , and at the end of the tracks for switchbacks . if it was a huge piece of land , that probably wouldnt be such an issue , but its only 8.5acres , and id need probably at least four gently rising tracks that run the length of the woodland , so that the tracks arent too steep.

52 minutes ago, islandgun said:

A walk behind tractor with sledge or trailer, you can off- set the handles

AL-KO-Combi2WheelTractor-1.jpg.965fb03da352a101a17066daef01eb92.jpg

this is one of the ideas that i keep coming back to along with the knobbly tyre moped and electric wheel barrow , id thought of trying a rotavator with a caretakers type trolley behind it (something quite narrow with chunky tyres) . id still need to widen the sheep trails , but only by a few inches , so the damage would be minimal . my main thoughts on this  were ,  would it be powerful enough ?. as i said earlier , its only for collecting firewood , so if things get too expensive , id be better off buying coal.

32 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

id sort of thought about the suspended drag line idea , but id imagined using trees rather than A frames . the place is very long and narrow and a little bit L shaped . at its widest its only about 400 yards across , and very very steep , but its close to half a mile long , and dragging logs that far would be a pretty big job , especially if im only using a 12v winch on my car, and going full on industrial would be cripplingly expensive.

i already pull a bit of wood from the woodland ,just for craft jobs etc ,  but i have to carry it , i can manage logs up to about 50kg on my shoulder , but its pretty tough going as its all oak ,  two trips to the far end of the wood ,  and im wrecked for the day.

i want get enough logs to fuel my log burner and open fire , and moving so much by hand is more than i could manage nev . my lad and my mate(a pw member) help me out with the heavy stuff up there , but moving tons of oak every year is a big ask . im also mindful that im not getting any younger , and things that i can do now , might be impossible for me in five years time.

my mate is also very very old , and absolutely bone idle (just in case you read this stu):lol:.

this is what keeps pushing me on , their has to be a way , i just havent found it yet . 

if the bottom of my land was just a field , id happily , and easily , just roll logs down through the woodland , unfortunately , the edge of my land is very steep , and ends with a single track road . this road only has a handful of cars every day ( mainly game keepers and farmers) , the thought of setting a log rolling down from the top of the land , then hearing the farmer coming along on his quad , makes me do this face:cry1:

this would be my second favourite option (a small tractor would be my first favourite option) , but it would mean widening the sheep trails by a very long way , and doing quite a lot of damage(and take a lot of work) to the woodland , especially where the track goes around trees , and at the end of the tracks for switchbacks . if it was a huge piece of land , that probably wouldnt be such an issue , but its only 8.5acres , and id need probably at least four gently rising tracks that run the length of the woodland , so that the tracks arent too steep.

this is one of the ideas that i keep coming back to along with the knobbly tyre moped and electric wheel barrow , id thought of trying a rotavator with a caretakers type trolley behind it (something quite narrow with chunky tyres) . id still need to widen the sheep trails , but only by a few inches , so the damage would be minimal . my main thoughts on this  were ,  would it be powerful enough ?. as i said earlier , its only for collecting firewood , so if things get too expensive , id be better off buying coal.

No bother

3e9b880f981e5f93dab4127f9ef2d9da.jpg.75cd7cba2e5af82fcaeba540f223803b.jpg