Moped for moving logs.

mel b3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I tend to agree here.ย ย  Have not yet had a look at the place but I would have gone for an over head drag line.ย  How far top to bottom is it? ย  A series of A frames to supportย  the line off the ground and to a certain extent the load could work and less chance of you finishing up with something more serious than your pride...BROKEN. ย  Even if you tie a sledge to the back of a bike , should that sledge decide to take the quick way down then you and the bike are going to follow.

GOOD!!ย ย  and I am not joking.ย ย  Your too valuable in good order.

I likeย this idea but with the top end used like the old raise and drop clothes lines in many decent sizedย back garden. Raising it up a tree for use as required, more as a weight reduction device to reduce tendency to dig inย would control descent rate and drop it almost out of sight when not in use.

Edit: Use as a climbing aid to go straight up too. :-) or are you really thinking of the bike mainly to get you up?

Edited by Dave-G

I used to occasional stalk down in Selsey Forest near Northampton and Henry, one of the guides there, had a walk behind tracked unit which he could roll a fallow on to and bring it back to the truck. It was about 2ft wide, fully tracked and handled a big falolow buck with ease.ย  He just walked behind controlling it the same as a wheel barrow. ย  OK might just be a bit pricey but could be very useful for all other jobs around the place.ย ย  In fact a motorised wheel barrow might be the answer.....come on Ditchie, get designing.

4 hours ago, islandgun said:

Noย bother

3e9b880f981e5f93dab4127f9ef2d9da.jpg.75cd7cba2e5af82fcaeba540f223803b.jpg

ive watched so many of those videos , that ive convinced myself that i can do itย :lol:

4 hours ago, Jaymo said:

May I suggest a โ€˜monkey bikeโ€™ - small, unobtrusive, twist n go and knobblyโ€™s as standard.

๐Ÿ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

this is the type of thing that i had in mind , something small , that had a low centre of gravity , and that i could drop and step off easily when the inevitable crash was about to happen.

4 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

ย 

62afa05d96939ee814cfa54cdeb2dde3.jpg

thats the one , i could just roll off it without hurting myselfย :lol:

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, this is a good post , how about getting a Sherpa as they are use to climbing mountains with big back packs ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜

dont laugh , id already thought of hiring a gang of eastern europeans for the weekย :yes:

4 hours ago, Dave-G said:

I likeย this idea but with the top end used like the old raise and drop clothes lines in many decent sizedย back garden. Raising it up a tree for use as required, more as a weight reduction device to reduce tendency to dig inย would control descent rate and drop it almost out of sight when not in use.

Edit: Use as a climbing aid to go straight up too. ๐Ÿ™‚ or are you really thinking of the bike mainly to get you up?

i could probably use that idea , to get pretty large logs up and down the steepest part of the woodland , but id still need to get them across the steep face of the woodland , and then to the car . its really difficult to put the shape and gradient of the woodland into words:unhappy:

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

I used to occasional stalk down in Selsey Forest near Northampton and Henry, one of the guides there, had a walk behind tracked unit which he could roll a fallow on to and bring it back to the truck. It was about 2ft wide, fully tracked and handled a big falolow buck with ease.ย  He just walked behind controlling it the same as a wheel barrow. ย  OK might just be a bit pricey but could be very useful for all other jobs around the place.ย ย  In fact a motorised wheel barrow might be the answer.....come on Ditchie, get designing.

the electric wheel barrow was definitely on the list nev , it would still mean a lot of walking , and battery life would probably be as issue , they were very expensive as well.

2 hours ago, ninjaferret said:

Suzuki gn 250 , scrambler it, low seat height knobblys go on no problem, quiet with a bit of grunt look them up on youtube see what can be done

i wanted to avoid anything that looked like a scrambler , or anything that i could thrash around the woodlandย :blush:.

my idea was just something slow , and as quiet as possible , so that i could just gently ride backwards and forwards along the sheep trails ,ย  for the odd day , or few hours here and there .

:good:

dair i say a rockonย  ย two wheel drive go anywhere motorbikeย  would be theย ย dogs dangliesย ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  i am seriously looking into building similarย  honda engineย  2 wheel drive bike so i can go shootingย  anywhere inc salt marshesย  ย  ย  ย  already have a two stroke 50ccย  ย go pedย  similarย  ย  ย home built withย  ย grunt low speedย  ย a projectย  lock down since wheneverย  its parked upย  when i get a chance il post pictures / videosย  it goes wellย  gets a bloke to a spot inc gear for a day outย  ย  ย brum and goย  ย 

7 hours ago, Mikeyalbie said:

A petrol wheel barrow on tracks. You stand on it and it drives it self. Have a look they are very good and you could put a nice bit in it.

That was another thing that Iย  looked at , I think the track width and the cost put me off . They're a brilliant piece of kit though ๐Ÿ‘.

4 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

oh watch out they don't come back at night and nick your logs ๐Ÿ˜

Theirs plenty to go around . Their must be around 200 tons of oak just laying on the ground up there ๐Ÿ˜Š

1 hour ago, Saltings said:

dair i say a rockonย  ย two wheel drive go anywhere motorbikeย  would be theย ย dogs dangliesย ย  ย  ย  ย  ย  i am seriously looking into building similarย  honda engineย  2 wheel drive bike so i can go shootingย  anywhere inc salt marshesย  ย  ย  ย  already have a two stroke 50ccย  ย go pedย  similarย  ย  ย home built withย  ย grunt low speedย  ย a projectย  lock down since wheneverย  its parked upย  when i get a chance il post pictures / videosย  it goes wellย  gets a bloke to a spot inc gear for a day outย  ย  ย brum and goย  ย 

That sounds interesting . Video and pics would be great ๐Ÿ‘.

On 09/02/2021 at 11:23, MARSH GUN said:

If you look at the prices of old C50s 70s & 90s In any condition, its as cheap to buy an old quad bike.

You might get a Chinese scooter Cheaper but even those now fetch surprising money these days.

I would look for an old ATV. Many of the cheaper ones have Honda CG125 clone engines and are fairly reliable. Go for one with chain drive, the Shaft drive versions are a pain if they go wrong. Chain drive is easier to keep running.

This very muchly. I went to buy one last year and was horrified at the prices. When I was young they changed hands for virtually nothing as a hack. I left a c50 at the pub once because I couldnโ€™t be bothered to go and get it. Now they are apparently classics.

As for the opโ€™s โ€œplanโ€ - go for it, what could possibly go wrong?

ย 

Come the demise of this pathetic lock down I will....with your permission...come and have a look at the problem. I am sure there is a SAFER way of getting that timber down.

I still go with the A frames and cable/rope.ย  The A frames could be made from timber from the wood, so only the rope and attachments plus a power source.ย  BUT without seeing the layout very difficult to make a plan.ย ย  Riding a moped down sheep tracks on verticle hillsides does not sound a good plan to me...even without a back pack full of timber.

On 09/02/2021 at 07:33, Mungler said:

When you do it, you have to post a video ๐Ÿ˜†

Yes it will come in handy for the inquest

Do not put weight on your back and then ride a motorbike. Even a few MPH significantly increases its inertia weight if you come off

attach any weight to the frame of the bike, not your frameย 

12 hours ago, Centrepin said:

He'll be spending ยฃ250 to collect ยฃ50ย  of logs

Isn't that what every bloke does ?, I'll happily spend three days repairing something that I could replace for a fiver๐Ÿ˜….

3 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Come the demise of this pathetic lock down I will....with your permission...come and have a look at the problem. I am sure there is a SAFER way of getting that timber down.

I still go with the A frames and cable/rope.ย  The A frames could be made from timber from the wood, so only the rope and attachments plus a power source.ย  BUT without seeing the layout very difficult to make a plan.ย ย  Riding a moped down sheep tracks on verticle hillsides does not sound a good plan to me...even without a back pack full of timber.

You're welcome at any time at all nev . I've had a million plans in my head , and I just know that the answer will be simple once ive sussed it. The moped idea just seems a relatively cheap way of doing it .

I should really add at this point , that I spent many years riding bikes off road , and over much tougher terrain than the sheep trails, and at much higher speeds than I have planned , the downside is that I wasn't as old and fat when I last did it . I'm also very keen not to be seen thrashing a motor cross bike through the woodland , because it really isn't the place.

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

Yes it will come in handy for the inquest

Do not put weight on your back and then ride a motorbike. Even a few MPH significantly increases its inertia weight if you come off

attach any weight to the frame of the bike, not your frameย 

That makes perfect sense Vince,ย  but the speed that I'd intend to ride at is just slow walking pace , with my feet down , then should anything go wrong , I'd just stand up, and drop the moped . The weight inย the rucksack wouldn't need to be much , it's more about gently plodding backwards and forwards for trip after trip , rather than breaking records or bones.๐Ÿ‘.

Go for it Mel, in the early 80's my friends all bought mot failure grandad bikes as we called them. Yamaha Suzuki and honda three speed step through geared bikes.

Stripped of the plastics and better tyres we rode them in the quarries alongside Motorcross bikes. Great very cheap fun was had.

Put a luggage rack on the back like all the old boys have for their pigeons, but for your logs.ย 

2 hours ago, figgy said:

Go for it Mel, in the early 80's my friends all bought mot failure grandad bikes as we called them. Yamaha Suzuki and honda three speed step through geared bikes.

Stripped of the plastics and better tyres we rode them in the quarries alongside Motorcross bikes. Great very cheap fun was had.

Put a luggage rack on the back like all the old boys have for their pigeons, but for your logs.ย 

I remember them well , I must have ridden thousands of offroad miles on them as a kid ,ย  that's why I'd like to use one now , it's also where I've seen one with knobbly tyres , but I can't remember if the swing arm was modified or changed . I' rememberย ย seeing quite a few with the front forks changed though , because the front suspension wasn't up to much.