Moped for moving logs.

mel b3

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Just one question if I may;

What will counter the weight of the cut timber when dragging it with a lightweight moped?

Can you expand on the question a bit please dave , I'm not quite sure what you mean.

36 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The weight of the moped and the rider Versus the weight of the logs on the ground with a sling around them, either pulling twigs or moped not moving?

I have several versions of the moped idea . One of the ideas is to put a small amount of logs into a rucksack. That should be very easy , as I'm not riding up or down anything steep.

Another idea in the running was a rotovator, pulling a small trailer or sledge , I wouldn't imagine that a small trailer would be much problem , especially when it's loaded and heading downhill , but , I would guess that it wouldn't have the power to pull a sledge given the power to weight ratio , Co efficient of friction , and all the technical stuff.

7 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

I have several versions of the moped idea . One of the ideas is to put a small amount of logs into a rucksack. That should be very easy , as I'm not riding up or down anything steep.

Another idea in the running was a rotovator, pulling a small trailer or sledge , I wouldn't imagine that a small trailer would be much problem , especially when it's loaded and heading downhill , but , I would guess that it wouldn't have the power to pull a sledge given the power to weight ratio , Co efficient of friction , and all the technical stuff.

As I said earlier, even a 100 litre military bergan will hardly hold much and if it did you'd never pick it up.

The rotavator has more credibility, although I think you'll have to fit a seat to get some weight on it and allow some purchase on the rough wet surface.

I think you're going to have to buy a pony!

14 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

As I said earlier, even a 100 litre military bergan will hardly hold much and if it did you'd never pick it up.

The rotavator has more credibility, although I think you'll have to fit a seat to get some weight on it and allow some purchase on the rough wet surface.

I think you're going to have to buy a pony!

I'll tell you as I've told Linda,  we ain't gettin no oss 😆

How far are we taking straight line top to bottom?

I still favour a drag line.  You could split the drag into two or three or four sections and timber cut to length could be moved down hill along a fairly narrow path so very little damage to the environment. If it is as steep as you say then pulling the logs down could be done by hand and returning the hook back to the top would be just as simple.  An A frame at each check point and just change over for the next pull.    Your just not going to shift enough with a moped, whereas pulling full length sections down to the bottom and then logging them straight into a trailer would get the job done.

I am sure there is sufficient timber suitable for the A frames in the wood.

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

Stop encouraging him , between dave and Lin,  I'll be setting up a sanctuary for crippled donkeys , and the carrot and straw hat bill will put me in the poor house 😅.

Just a bit of job creation 😂

we need photos of the site and then in try PW style I’m sure we can come up with a plan 

I’m currently thinking of a big bonfire 🔥 

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Another idea in the running was a rotovator, pulling a small trailer or sledge

Just in case you hadn't seen them, these are quite common in mountainous countries

Aebi AM10 Einachser

This is made by a Swiss company Aebi and are known locally as Buuureporsche...  Farmer's Porsches.

Despite not looking up to much they work on surprisingly steep inclines as the CofG is so low, and can haul quite a bit, even though they're front wheel drive only

As has already been mentioned, Honda Cubs and the like are now (in this country at least) collectors' items and priced accordingly.  If you insist on a motorbike, get a Chinese scambler - a work colleague had a perfectly servicable one delivered for around the £650 mark, as a knock-down-kit on a pallet!

11 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

Fireworks 🤔😊

mels fireworks party has a ring to it this could be the most popular PW event of the year 😊

TC I think it’s a great idea 

Lets all meet at Mels wood, I can bring something explosive along!

Just now, mellors said:

How about a hot air balloon 🤔

Mel can supply the hot air!:P

2 hours ago, udderlyoffroad said:

Just in case you hadn't seen them, these are quite common in mountainous countries

Aebi AM10 Einachser

This is made by a Swiss company Aebi and are known locally as Buuureporsche...  Farmer's Porsches.

Despite not looking up to much they work on surprisingly steep inclines as the CofG is so low, and can haul quite a bit, even though they're front wheel drive only

As has already been mentioned, Honda Cubs and the like are now (in this country at least) collectors' items and priced accordingly.  If you insist on a motorbike, get a Chinese scambler - a work colleague had a perfectly servicable one delivered for around the £650 mark, as a knock-down-kit on a pallet!

this is very much along the lines of what i had in my head , id just need to cut down the trailer , and widen some of the sheep trails slightly.