• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Well we have plenty of time until November the 5th!:w00t:

2 hours ago, Old farrier said:

Fireworks 🤔😊

mels fireworks party has a ring to it this could be the most popular PW event of the year 😊

TC I think it’s a great idea 

i could just imagine how happy the head keeper on the briggand shoot next door would be , or the neighbours , with half a ton of explosives shaking the sleepy little valley :lol:.

2 hours ago, mellors said:

How about a hot air balloon 🤔

dont worry , its already been thought of :yes:

3 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I thought I covered that...this is a wood isn't it. Don't tell me there are not half dozen relatively straight 10ft lengths of ash/hazel available on site.

Blimey Mate an "A" frame made of 10 foot lengths of Hazel will not support much of the oak that Mel wants to move.

6 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

I thought I covered that...this is a wood isn't it. Don't tell me there are not half dozen relatively straight 10ft lengths of ash/hazel available on site.

theirs plenty of oak on the deck that could be used . ive got a couple of oak logs around 18" thick , that i left at around 10' long , theyd rip down nicely , but would still be very heavy to move around.

the pictures might help to make more sense , i dont want to drive / ride directly up and down the slope , ill be driving/riding across the slope.

2 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gravity it is then, start at the top and roll them down.

they need to be rolled to a collection point with vehicle access , rolling them uncontrolled would just put them down onto the lane , and rolling/pulling them with a rope attached would be a pretty mammoth task.

5 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

the pictures might help to make more sense , i dont want to drive / ride directly up and down the slope , ill be driving/riding across the slope.

they need to be rolled to a collection point with vehicle access , rolling them uncontrolled would just put them down onto the lane , and rolling/pulling them with a rope attached would be a pretty mammoth task.

One horse/pony or two?

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Gravity it is then, start at the top and roll them down.

Exactly.  Perfect to drop them down in one piece  and if woriied about the last 15yrds to the road then stop them there, cut them up into burning size and roll them down to a trailer.   You could pull them down purely with human effort on that incline.   Put Linda at the bottom to catch them.

Looking at the photos I think I could arrange to lower them down no problem purely by gravity alone.  As said some form of restraint at the bottom and job done.  A rope through some pulleys could slow things down to control the decent.

Come the summer, let's have a look.  You cannot beat being on the ground.

Edited by Walker570

43 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Exactly.  Perfect to drop them down in one piece  and if woriied about the last 15yrds to the road then stop them there, cut them up into burning size and roll them down to a trailer.   You could pull them down purely with human effort on that incline.   Put Linda at the bottom to catch them.

that might be doable along some parts of the wood . most of the woodland edge is almost vertical where it meets the road , but their is a hollow that i might be able to use as a landing stage .

i should have added earlier , that i cant really mess about on the lane for too long . its not used very much , but farmers and local would soon get touchy if i was blocking their lane and they couldnt pass . id much rather be as invisible as possible at the woodland too.

43 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

A cargo net attached to the trees by the lane and roll them down 

or a pulley block long roap and drag them out with a truck on the lane 

does November 5th fall on a shoot day 

a cargo net might be a good call , but it would need to be a big one.

a couple of times when ive cut logs up high in the woodland , theyve rolled away from me and down the hill , most of them hit trees or bushes , or the pig wire fence that runs across the land , but a couple have made it to the bottom , and luckily hit nothing ,  one that still gives me nightmares , was a log of around 24 inches long , and 24 inches thick , it just hit the ground and started rolling before i could put the saw down and turn the log , it accelerated at an unbelievable speed , i lost sight of it for a while , then spotted it again as it left my woodland (at probably 50 feet in the air) , and cleared the lane , its stopped rolling when it got to the river on the farmers land next door (close to 100 yards) .  ive cut hundreds of logs up there , with no issues whatsoever , as im always ready for any rolls , but that one happened so quickly , and was out of reach in a split second . the thought of what could have happened turned my legs to jelly , and thats the main reason why id much rather move very small amounts of wood , rather than big pieces.

41 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

Maybe another big bloke to help - a strap between you both?

weve done that a few times , but its hard going and very slow and inefficient. 

33 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Looking at the photos I think I could arrange to lower them down no problem purely by gravity alone.  As said some form of restraint at the bottom and job done.  A rope through some pulleys could slow things down to control the decent.

Come the summer, let's have a look.  You cannot beat being on the ground.

24 minutes ago, London Best said:

I am just visualising the state of that little caravan after being struck by a rolling, bouncing log. It would look like Clarkson had been towing it.

that caravan owes me a fortune , i did a mini refurb , that took ages , and cost me a fortune in bits and bobs , with hindsight , i should have just bought a suitable caravan , then done the work at home before dragging it up there . its only a tearoom / shelter , its the logistics of doing it in the middle of nowhere thats a pain.

7 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

But we must have a target!:good:

just aim at the sheep :cool:

6 hours ago, kennett said:

Could you not leave the timber in long lengths and winch it down? Obviously won't work if we're talking miles but with enough bits of rope attached to the winch wire you could get them down to the flat and then process.

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

That was one of my first ideas , but the only affordable winch would be 12v and mind numbingly slow . I have to keep one eye on costs , as the oak will only be used to feed a couple of fires .   if costs are too high , coupled with the sheer effort ,it just wouldn't be worth it unfortunately. 

Back in the late 80's,  I'd just finished a custom paint job on a bike helmet , I left it to dry while I had a cup of tea ,  when I went to check that it was dry , it had FUNKY MOPED  written on the back in black marker pen  😠😅.