Moped for moving logs.

mel b3

6 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Good old Jasper. Had a few cups of tea with him when he regularly set his alarm off at home which was on our patch. One of the worlds nice guys.

My sister always said the same. She knew Jasper before he was famous, when he used to perform at the Peasmoldia folk club in Derby. 

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well ive spent a couple of hours on ebay , looking at old mopeds that might be suitable for my project , and ive come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to helicopter the wood out :cry1:.

im thinking now that a quad might be the way forward . i really didnt want to widen the paths , but it looks like itll be the easiest way.

23 hours ago, mel b3 said:

well ive spent a couple of hours on ebay , looking at old mopeds that might be suitable for my project , and ive come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to helicopter the wood out :cry1:.

im thinking now that a quad might be the way forward . i really didnt want to widen the paths , but it looks like itll be the easiest way.

You might not require a 4x4 version seeing that all the work is coming down. I have a farmer friend who has a two wheel Kawasaki which he uses around his farm and other than in extreme conditions it never gets stuck.

Still think it cheaper to lower them down on a rope, even including the cost of the rope.

23 hours ago, mel b3 said:

well ive spent a couple of hours on ebay , looking at old mopeds that might be suitable for my project , and ive come to the conclusion that it would be cheaper to helicopter the wood out .

A big stupidly powerful one with big knobbly tyres 😂😂👍👍👍

12 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

You might not require a 4x4 version seeing that all the work is coming down. I have a farmer friend who has a two wheel Kawasaki which he uses around his farm and other than in extreme conditions it never gets stuck.

Still think it cheaper to lower them down on a rope, even including the cost of the rope.

That's what I thought nev , until I started looking at the price of ropes and cable . It was a bit of an eye opener for me.

5 minutes ago, Old farrier said:

A big stupidly powerful one with big knobbly tyres 😂😂👍👍👍

I'd love one of those , but I can't be seen to be having any kind of fun whatsoever whilst doing it 😅

5 hours ago, London Best said:

Are the Fun Police particularly active in your area?

Yep , and she'll be watching every move I make 😅.

She's even more protective of the woodland than I am . It's ancient woodland,  so do destroy it , really isn't good.

6 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

You just haven't thought this through, have you?

I think the problem is that I've thought about it too much . I normally just get an idea , and make it work. 

5 hours ago, ditchman said:

buy smokeless coal and get it delivered

Now come on simon , would any right thinking English gentlemen,  just give in and do the sensible thing ?, it's just not our way 😊.

You'd have built a train track , with a full on balls out steam locomotive by now.

Before you say no , you know you would have😅.

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

You could convert it and knock up a capstan winch with your skills. 

This is one of my early ideas that I gave a great deal of thought to 👍.

Any space for or rules against a pony/donkey shed? I've seen some tethered to a stake that gets moved around a bit to grace chosen areas. apparently there are rules about stables that can lead to future planning consent if that appeals.

Edited by Dave-G

Just off key a bit but did anyone else see that emergency police turn out to a person stuck head first in a hedge ?

Turned out it was some wag who had set up a shop mannequin but must admit it did look very realistic.

I wonder who ?????   I did think of you at the time Ditchie seeing it was not far from your neighbourhood.

Edited by Walker570

13 hours ago, Dougy said:

You could convert it and knock up a capstan winch with your skills. 

This may be the answer.

FC rangers are using a lightweight portable winch for deer recovery. They carry the winch into position, one man job, then run the 300 metre line to the deer, sometimes 3 deer at once. Back to the winch, start the little engine and winch in. When the load arrives the winch is carried back towards the vehicle and repeat process until load arrives where needed. Not too strenuous and I believe costs around £1300. My FC mate loves his and says when he retires he will buy his own for private use.

Hope this is not too sensible a suggestion, wouldn’t want to lose my street cred!

still trying to get my head around removing logs out of a wood with a moped..........dont think the centrifugal clutch would cope with that abuse........

i would go for something like an Allan Sythe or a old type of rotovator with it stripped down with a trailer on it....as other folk have pointed out

Edited by ditchman

7 minutes ago, ditchman said:

still trying to get my head around removing logs out of a wood with a moped..........dont think the centrifugal clutch would cope with that abuse........

i would go for something like an Allan Sythe or a old type of rotovator with it stripped down with a trailer on it....as other folk have pointed out

I suppose it all depends on what we are calling "logs" 

1 Log to one person is a Truffle to another. 

Drove down a lane last year and bumped into a couple waving their arms around shouting "TREE DOWN" i slowed down and asked what had happened and was told the roads closed. 

It was a tree with a 6 inch girth at the most, pulled off the road and drove on. 

15 hours ago, ehb102 said:

I still think you should borrow a pony that will drag a log or two out for you. Sometimes the old.ways are the best ways. 

Might be a bit hard to find such a beast these days. 

You've been talking to lin haven’t you ?, every time it gets mentioned , she starts singing little donkey on the dusty road 😆.

In all honesty , if we lived close enough to pop in every day , getting a donkey/horse , is probably exactly what I'd do . I wouldn't be getting the donkey from the TV ads though , I'd get one that had still got all its legs and both eyes.😊.

15 hours ago, Dave-G said:

Any space for or rules against a pony/donkey shed? I've seen some tethered to a stake that gets moved around a bit to grace chosen areas. apparently there are rules about stables that can lead to future planning consent if that appeals.

The woodland has historically been used for grazing goats , but I doubt that I'd get a change of use to donkey , the neighbour next door would be happy enough to rent us some grazing though. It's the distance from home that would stop that idea . Getting permission to put a log cabin on the land might be a goer , but getting permission to build a permanent residence in a woodland,  would be a million to one shot.

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Just off key a bit but did anyone else see that emergency police turn out to a person stuck head first in a hedge ?

Turned out it was some wag who had set up a shop mannequin but must admit it did look very realistic.

I wonder who ?????   I did think of you at the time Ditchie seeing it was not far from your neighbourhood.

Along similar lines .

We were all in the pub one Sunday lunchtime , and we were laughing about a newspaper article , about some plank that had got his head stuck in metal railings at the pub up the road , and had to be cut out by the fire brigade . As we were laughing about it , my mates nephew walked in (a firefighter ) , and said hello George,  how's your ears now ?, the fool that had got his head stuck , was one of the old lads in the pub that was laughing about it , but hadn't said a word to anyone 😅.

4 hours ago, London Best said:

This may be the answer.

FC rangers are using a lightweight portable winch for deer recovery. They carry the winch into position, one man job, then run the 300 metre line to the deer, sometimes 3 deer at once. Back to the winch, start the little engine and winch in. When the load arrives the winch is carried back towards the vehicle and repeat process until load arrives where needed. Not too strenuous and I believe costs around £1300. My FC mate loves his and says when he retires he will buy his own for private use.

Hope this is not too sensible a suggestion, wouldn’t want to lose my street cred!

This was my thoughts with the capstan winch , and might still be on the cards . The main downside is cost . As much as I want to use my own wood ,  I have to make myself realise that I could buy a lot of coal or logs for £1300 . Not that I ever buy wood or coal to be honest , I've always felled enough trees locally to keep my fires burning.

4 hours ago, ditchman said:

My idea with the moped,  was just to fill a rucksack with logs cut to burning size( I'd do the cutting on the hill) , and just do lots of journeys backwards and forwards.  The moped wouldn't be driving directly up and down steep slopes , or through undergrowth , it would be used to zig zag across the slope , following the sheep trails . I wouldn't need any help , I'd just need lin there to call the air ambulance,  and to give evidence at the inquest 😅

The rotovator / tractor thing is still in the running 👍.

4 hours ago, Dougy said:

I suppose it all depends on what we are calling "logs" 

1 Log to one person is a Truffle to another. 

Drove down a lane last year and bumped into a couple waving their arms around shouting "TREE DOWN" i slowed down and asked what had happened and was told the roads closed. 

It was a tree with a 6 inch girth at the most, pulled off the road and drove on. 

I wouldn't be moving anything heavy , and using a moped would mean that I wouldn't need to rely on too much help.

1 hour ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Sorry Mel.

I think the oak trees will win this one.

Oh no sir , it's not over until the fat lad sings 😊.

I'm in no real rush to get anything sorted to be honest dave . When I typed the original post , I was just thinking out loud really , and just wondering if anyone had done anything similar before , so that I could hear their experiences . above all else , sympathy to the woodland is the priority.  The pw brainstorming session has been very enjoyable , but I must confess to being a little disappointed that nobody has come up with a team of dogs and a sledge yet 😊.