Pup caught a pigeon

KillStone

So just had a bit of a nightmare. My pup was left wondering about the garden (which is all normal) but she’s somehow got hold of a live pigeon! She’s 6months old but yet to move onto cold game retrieves. The pigeon can’t of been in her control for more than a minute or two and was still very much alive when taken off the dog but she had definitely “played” with it. What do you guys think? Will this have done her any harm longterm? Probably panicking over nothing but you know what it’s like! 

Thanks

My dog has just turned 2, but when she was the same age (6 months or so) I was in the car on my way back from shooting and the wife called saying she was running around the  garden with a live magpie.  The wife couldn't get it from her, she was 1/2hr chasing her around the garden before cornering her and the magpie flew off.  At the time I thought this event was the end of the world.  However, when I eventually  brought her onto cold game and subsequently taken her on shoots she's been fine and wasn't effected at all by the event that day.  So I would suggest you are worrying for nothing.

My sprocker did the same at less than a year old at the time she’d begger off with a tennis ball ( there is the thread on here somewhere) and start messing about so she wasn’t for letting go of her first pigeon. Shes just finished her first season (ok only out 4 times due to COVID ) beating at 14 months but now retrieving game to hand most of the time. She still has her moments if she thinks she can get away with it ! The other way of looking at it is it’s happened and she proved she has the drive to get after live game.

regards Agriv8 and Pip the sprocker

link to pip at 8 months 

https://forums.pigeonwatch.co.uk/forums/topic/404027-erm-be-steady-guys-any-pigeon-fanciers-for-i-have-sinned/?tab=comments#comment-3738604

Edited by Agriv8
Added link

I've seen an apparently well trained lab snatching up unshot birds at a shoot.

Was also talking to a guy who was bleating on about how good his dog was after retrieving a pheasant that had it's head shot off.... in fact I had watched his dog snatch it from the game cart...ripping it's head off and running off like it was a prize.

Don't worry about it, even well trained dogs make mistakes. At least you know the dog has instincts you can work with

On 10/02/2021 at 13:21, Rob85 said:

Was also talking to a guy who was bleating on about how good his dog was after retrieving a pheasant that had it's head shot off.... in fact I had watched his dog snatch it from the game cart...ripping it's head off and running off like it was a prize. 

That’s the problem with asking the owner if their dog is any good when you are looking for a pup ... no one tells you how awful their dog is 🤣🤣

Did you tell the owner where the bird really came from? 

18 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

That’s the problem with asking the owner if their dog is any good when you are looking for a pup ... no one tells you how awful their dog is 🤣🤣

Did you tell the owner where the bird really came from? 

Nah I was a new beater there that season so wasn't looking to rock the boat...was my only season there but that's another story for another day!!.. I mentioned to a couple of other beaters what I saw  and they weren't surprised, they said was apparently linked to a fieldsports magazine regarding field trials so thought his dogs were better than they were and wouldn't listen if you told him otherwise, wish I could remember the fellas name