Fish and Brexit

The Heron

5 minutes ago, The Heron said:

I enjoy cooking but in the past I have had trouble getting the fish that I wanted because of the eu because of Brexit  they are renaming fish and crabs to make them more attractive to the British people how ironic. 

So what are the new names?

26 minutes ago, islandgun said:

We now have sea cod, sea haddock and sea crab, this will make the chefs happy and the rest of the population will follow suit

We watch and really enjoy the programme about Cornish fishermen each week, one commented after removing a lobster from its pot that it would be worth around fifteen quid, or a hundred and fifteen at Rick Steins. 🙂

26 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Morrisons always have a very good show on their fish counter with some unusual species.   I intend eatiing more British caught fish in the near future and if we all added just one meal a weekit would solve the problem and two fingers up to the EU

Pollock  are a very underrated fish , I love it . Here in Scotland  the chip shops only seem to sell Haddock 

2 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

So what are the new names?

i used to know a fish called wanda  :lol:.

if changing names helps to sell more fish in this country , i suppose that it can only be a good thing , but it does sound like a strange thing to do.

11 minutes ago, mel b3 said:

i used to know a fish called wanda  .

if changing names helps to sell more fish in this country , i suppose that it can only be a good thing , but it does sound like a strange thing to do.

:lol: It sounds like our fisherman have problems selling into the EU particularly shell fish. Would be good if more comes to the UK and prices come down. 

1 hour ago, Scully said:

We watch and really enjoy the programme about Cornish fishermen each week, one commented after removing a lobster from its pot that it would be worth around fifteen quid, or a hundred and fifteen at Rick Steins. 🙂

Yep we went there a couple of years ago to " Mr i only use fresh fish " for fish and chips in the warehouse type shed thing .Bloody expensive and not that good either ,as for fresh ingredients  chips straight out of the freezer bag ,fish the same maybe he means freshly frozen . Chippy across the road from us half the price and it IS fresh you can see her putting the spuds(grown locally ) in the peeler machine then the chip making device into a big bucket .Fish from Grimsby all in all it leaves Steins offerings  standing .

10 minutes ago, oowee said:

It sounds like our fisherman have problems selling into the EU particularly shell fish. Would be good if more comes to the UK and prices come down. 

i was talking to an old mate years ago (an ex fisherman) , and i asked him why you never see much fresh fish sold at the seaside , his answer was that they cant afford it . he said that most folks that live in seaside towns , do it for the lifestyle and not the money , and that people inland will pay a lot more for the fish , he said thats why they sell rock salmon at the seaside , and cod in birmingham. i couldnt honestly say that i know if this is true or not.

id certainly be happy to eat more fish if it was more affordable.

Cornish King crab! A great name for it!

I would love to buy it but its generally shipped abroad and moving forward I doubt they will be looking to sell more Scallop, Langoustine, crab etc to us as the profit won’t be as high as shipping abroad and once the fracas with China is over we won’t get a look in!!

I feel for the few small commercial boy and girls but they are few and far between now. Im afraid our quaint traditional perception of little old local boys and girls heading out in a small fleet in no longer in general the case. If we could see the devastation happening under waters we may change our views!

Image one of the giant super trawlers (below) trawling across the countryside tearing up everything in its path throwing back it’s “dis-guard” everywhere! We wouldn’t put up with it for long. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-03/the-super-trawler-just-14-miles-off-brighton-capable-of-landing-6-000-tonnes-of-fish

Imagine a 

2 minutes ago, Lampwick said:

Cornish King crab! A great name for it!

I would love to buy it but its generally shipped abroad and moving forward I doubt they will be looking to sell more Scallop, Langoustine, crab etc to us as the profit won’t be as high as shipping abroad and once the fracas with China is over we won’t get a look in!!

I feel for the few small commercial boy and girls but they are few and far between now. Im afraid our quaint traditional perception of little old local boys and girls heading out in a small fleet in no longer in general the case. If we could see the devastation happening under waters we may change our views!

Image one of the giant super trawlers (below) trawling across the countryside tearing up everything in its path throwing back it’s “dis-guard” everywhere! We wouldn’t put up with it for long. 

https://www.itv.com/news/2019-10-03/the-super-trawler-just-14-miles-off-brighton-capable-of-landing-6-000-tonnes-of-fish

Imagine a 

Maybe we need a smaller fleet, smaller catches and a higher price for greater sustainability. Watching that fishing program does not inspire confidence that the current system is sustainable. The same with farming practices.

20 minutes ago, oowee said:

Maybe we need a smaller fleet, smaller catches and a higher price for greater sustainability. Watching that fishing program does not inspire confidence that the current system is sustainable. The same with farming practices.

Absolutely! But I fear that’s not on the cards. We had an opportunity with Brexit to take it in hand and to create a world class sustainable fishery but.....? 

3 hours ago, johnphilip said:

Pollock  are a very underrated fish

Sure is, takes Thai flavours very well. I like my cod deep fried, lightly fried in butter or in a white sauce but a good solid slab of bronze Pollock is fantastic in Thai flavours.

Mackerel on a Barbie with rosemary is lovely and hot smoked fresh or as a pate is sublime, but it has to be fresh, not from a supermarket.

Herring, split and fried or grilled... 

1 minute ago, Vince Green said:

I

12 hours ago, oowee said:

But on that fishing programme when the skipper of one of the boats points to a Spanish Trawler and says "he is allowed to catch ten times more fish than I am" that says it all about sustainability.

We have got out of the habit of buying fish because its so expensive, and its expensive because its it short supply. We are a nett importer of cod and herring despite having the best stocks in Europe