Fly fishing

lampro

Always have been a course fisherman, how easy is it to pick up fly fishing and what sort of kit is required for small.river venues only asking as there is lots of info on google but would rather hear it from.some one that actually does it basic start up.kit 

Have a look at an Airflo or Shakespeare kit - You after trout or salmon? Salmon needs (arguably) a bigger rod.

What sort of rivers are you looking at - Rods and line are measured using the AFTM scale - You want a 3 or 4 on a chalk stream for trout, a 7 in a reservoir and a 9 for the Dee or the Spey.

The action itself is all a question of timing, loading the rod at the right time so that when you finish your back cast, the line is ready to whizz forward on your forward cast - It takes a bit of time to crack, but you'll be semi decent in no time 

Shakespear kit is first class. I have a 7ft 6inc rod which would do the job. I have not put it on sale as yet but it is ready to go.   I would as said above go for a #4 line.  Easy to get the idea on your lawn or in the park(may get some strange looks) but it is easy to get the feel.  Nothing really beats putting a dry fly over a rising fish and seeing it come up and suck it in.   River start up kit... 7-8ft rod, #4 line and reel to match, box of suitable flies and some 3 to 4 lb nylon.  Landing net.  BUT!!!!  be WARNED

it is very addictive and the kit can grown alarmingly.

It’s like anything...you can spend little or you can spend a lot. 

Shakespeare kit is ok - it’s the Jack Pyke of kit...I have one Shakespeare rod as it is one I won’t use much (a switch rod) but I wouldn’t choose Shakespeare in general as I’ve had too many of their rods fail in the past. 

Whatever you go for (and a 4wt is a good suggestion for small rivers) where you spend your money makes the biggest difference...spend as much as you can on the fly line, then the rod is the next priority and finally the reel. In the UK on small rivers for trout, the reel basically just holds your line so doesn’t need to anything fancy at all. Your fly line will make all the different in terms of casting and presentation of the fly and it is crucial to be matched with the rod. 

Spend money on casting lessons rather than a nicer rod and reel and you’ll get a lot more enjoyment out of your fishing. 

Then you will get addicted and spend £thousands on gear and if you start tying your own flies you’ll spend hundreds on shiny tinsel and fluffy stuff and pinch things from your children’s toys as fly tying material 🤫

It’s really easy to pickup once you have been taught to cast and that will not take long. You have Farmoor2 on you doorstep so to speak so some of the best reservoir fishing in the country if you ignore the fact it is a concrete bowl. If reservoir fishing I would look for a basic 7 wt rod and reel with a floating line and a medium sinking line. Flies will be subject to where you want to fish so try and find someone who will take you under their wing. I am sure Farmoor used to do beginners sessions so worth checking when lockdown ends.

worth looking out for second hand kit as well.

There was some going up here in Scotland and will ask for you. Sure we can find a way of getting it down to Oxfordshire.

17 minutes ago, Dave at kelton said:

It’s really easy to pickup once you have been taught to cast and that will not take long. You have Farmoor2 on you doorstep so to speak so some of the best reservoir fishing in the country if you ignore the fact it is a concrete bowl. If reservoir fishing I would look for a basic 7 wt rod and reel with a floating line and a medium sinking line. Flies will be subject to where you want to fish so try and find someone who will take you under their wing. I am sure Farmoor used to do beginners sessions so worth checking when lockdown ends.

worth looking out for second hand kit as well.

There was some going up here in Scotland and will ask for you. Sure we can find a way of getting it down to Oxfordshire.

Hello, does lampro live around Oxford way ? I would not bother with farmoor with lessons the bailiffs hardly get out of the club house shop, if lampro lives around my area I will teach him fly casting and more, just seen he lives around Stafford way but my offer is always there, 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hi I live stafford but local.trout area is Fornton fishery where they give lessons local.rivers are sow, penk, allso blithfeild reservoir a few miles up the rd have the Severn in brig north which I have fished for barbell and good chub, and as above once lock down out if the way willing to travel just to see someone fly fish and pick up a few pointers 

3 hours ago, lampro said:

Hi I live stafford but local.trout area is Fornton fishery where they give lessons local.rivers are sow, penk, allso blithfeild reservoir a few miles up the rd have the Severn in brig north which I have fished for barbell and good chub, and as above once lock down out if the way willing to travel just to see someone fly fish and pick up a few pointers 

Hello, if your thinking of river and reservoir fishing most likely need 2 set ups, river 7ft 6 inch/ 8 ft 4/5 double taper line floating/ maybe a sinker / reservoir/ large lake  9/ 9.5 ft rod 7 weight forward lines, don't need expensive reels, a bag/ net, box of flies for river, box of flies for reservoir, leader line/ snips/ fly oil for dry fly, fly sinking stuff, etc, this book for river, matching the hatch by Peter Lapsley and Cyril Bennet, any Reservoir book of flies guide, John Goddard's book waterside guide is good for river and lake, watch a few casting videos for river with double taper lines , reservoir is mainly a weight forward line, for distance casting, a lesson or 2 would help, with the latter lines, river fly casting with double taper line is a different matter, all in all its a nice way to fish as I have for over 50 years, you may get hooked 🙄😁👍 cheers 

just one word of caution on cheap rods. My brother in law bought a cheap Leeda rod, a 7/8, as someone in the shop told him it was suitable for a beginner and for reservoir use. It is as stiff as a poker with a tip only action and very unforgiving for a beginner although an excellent rod if it is very windy. He enjoyed his day far more when we swapped rods and he used a through action Daiwa. 

If you can possibly take advantage of walker570's offer he will get you going with suitable gear.

2 hours ago, 243deer said:

just one word of caution on cheap rods. My brother in law bought a cheap Leeda rod, a 7/8, as someone in the shop told him it was suitable for a beginner and for reservoir use. It is as stiff as a poker with a tip only action and very unforgiving for a beginner although an excellent rod if it is very windy. He enjoyed his day far more when we swapped rods and he used a through action Daiwa. 

If you can possibly take advantage of walker570's offer he will get you going with suitable gear.

Good advice on the rod.  Certainly a beginner needs a rod with a bit of movement in it.  I was loaned a rod when out in New Zealand and even though I had fly fished for40yrs I could not get that rod to cast a line.  I might well have had a brush stale. Fortunately my host had another which worked fine.   I think you have enough helpers on here to see you on your way.  Lets get the stupid lockdown out of the way and start enjoying ourselves again.

On the side,  is Foremark still in business ?    I used to fish it 6 -7 yrs ago and had some most enjoyable evenings there, although reservoir fishing is not my scene.

Buy the best rod.reel set up you can afford me personally have found some cheaper rods to be harder to cast and load the line for smaller rivers a 5 weight is my choice If I was you and your serious about taking the sport up book a casting lesson with a guide preferably on the rivers you intend to fish It’s not all about casting water craft out on the river is a big factor regarding hatches of flies Fish runs on the river also if your wading you need bit help how to read the water Once you hook a fish on fly rod there’s no going back Enjoy 😉 it nothing better than fishing a evening rise fish taking flies off the top of the water 👍👍

I got some strange looks when I first started fly fishing a long time ago. I practiced on the grass in the local park with no hook on the leader.

My advice would be to start on still waters and get your casting practice in first, you cannot beat getting your first fish on, you will then be hooked for sure.

11 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, if your thinking of river and reservoir fishing most likely need 2 set ups, river 7ft 6 inch/ 8 ft 4/5 double taper line floating/ maybe a sinker / reservoir/ large lake  9/ 9.5 ft rod 7 weight forward lines, don't need expensive reels, a bag/ net, box of flies for river, box of flies for reservoir, leader line/ snips/ fly oil for dry fly, fly sinking stuff, etc, this book for river, matching the hatch by Peter Lapsley and Cyril Bennet, any Reservoir book of flies guide, John Goddard's book waterside guide is good for river and lake, watch a few casting videos for river with double taper lines , reservoir is mainly a weight forward line, for distance casting, a lesson or 2 would help, with the latter lines, river fly casting with double taper line is a different matter, all in all its a nice way to fish as I have for over 50 years, you may get hooked 🙄😁👍 cheers 

Hello, if you ever get down Oxford way we could meet up and  you could get a ticket on Farmoor 2 , I am not fishing much these days so would spend time helping to cast/ type of flies/ and more, 

5 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Good advice on the rod.  Certainly a beginner needs a rod with a bit of movement in it.  I was loaned a rod when out in New Zealand and even though I had fly fished for40yrs I could not get that rod to cast a line.  I might well have had a brush stale. Fortunately my host had another which worked fine.   I think you have enough helpers on here to see you on your way.  Lets get the stupid lockdown out of the way and start enjoying ourselves again.

On the side,  is Foremark still in business ?    I used to fish it 6 -7 yrs ago and had some most enjoyable evenings there, although reservoir fishing is not my scene.

Yes foremark is still going - I can fish it as a member of PAAS but haven’t managed to yet due to lockdown. I can pike fish over the winter and trout season starts again in March so I’m hoping to go as not too far from me and looks quite nice. 

Edited by oscarsdad

It is a very pleasant little reservoir with plenty of opportunities to fish all sorts of ways. I have only ever fished from a boat but have caught fish just a yard from the bank. I hasten to add this has been where bank anglers cannot access.  I was a member of the Formark Fly Ckub, great crowd but really to be honest reservoir fishing is not my scene I love stalking trout up a small stream with a dry fly and my sciatica just would not allow it so had to give it up.  Tried boat fishing but boring in comparison.

On 09/02/2021 at 18:11, Walker570 said:

BUT!!!!  be WARNED

it is very addictive and the kit can grown alarmingly.

Tell me about it ..

This time last year, I didn't have a rod ... now I've got 6 !!!

Caught my 1st wild brownie on a brook in May last year, then I've been out into Norfolk a few times on rivers, and down south onto the Kennet.

This year I'm in a club locally, have a trip planned to the Scottish highlands for small Loch adventures, and have weekends planned on the Wylye Itchen and Avon with a good buddy who's got access to those hallowed spots.

Plus I'm surrounded by local waters full of Pike which I find very entertaining on a fly rod!!

Love it though and can't wait to get out again ...... a terrific way to get away from it all.

9 hours ago, Walker570 said:

Certainly a beginner needs a rod with a bit of movement in it.

Lampro .. look at the reviews for a Redington Classic Trout ... certainly looks like a great rod if you're looking for something that will help your presentations with dry flies.

I also agree with the comments on investing in a good line ... 

21 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

Pike on a fly rod....A small imitation frog as a floater on the surface just cast alongside reeds or lily pads can provoke some heart stopping takes.

I see your pike and raise you...tarpon - seeing a 200lb prehistoric silver creature engulf your fly is just incredible. Never managed to land any though! 

Bonefish and permit on the flats is awesome too, the acceleration they can manage is simply amazing. 

I have caught salmon to 50lb in British Columbia on a fly rod and also hooked a king salmon which just emptied the reel. 

closer to home, mackerel on fly is awesome fun, if they grew to 10lb I’d fish for nothing else they fight so hard. 

I would love a go for Giant Trevally at some point when the world is safe to travel again. 

Edited by oscarsdad

40 minutes ago, Walker570 said:

provoke some heart stopping takes.

The first bite I had, I’d got a big shiny fly on .... I saw the attack and struck just to early.... and was left there just looking at the shredded back and of my fly floating down ... absolutely cakked myself!! Had some luck since then and once ended up walking a good size one along the bank as I’d stripped it all the way in ... that was exciting too!!

I do a lot of fly fishing both river and lough.Gearwise it can be very expensive or relatively cheap.To buy Orvis or the like tackle can cost a fortune but there are some very good cheaper options. I tie my own flies which makes things a fair bit cheaper and it is lovely to catch fish in your own flies.

I bought a Shakespeare Agility rod for Lough fishing.10" #6 and it is a lovely rod to fish with and has landed some good fish on it.I also saw some reels made by a firm called Maxcatch,they are very very cheap but seem well made.As with most things you will get what you pay for but starting out you do not need to break the bank.As you progress you can purchase more and more gear.

As said before,be careful as it can become very addictive.