Enjoyable places

henry d

I’ve been up and down most of them in my youth as they’re on my doorstep. Next time you’re heading down the M6 on your way there, take a slight detour and head for Skelton to the Dog and Gun. You’ll enjoy it.

Also, the Kings Head in Keswick do a fabulous Sunday lunch, and the ( again ) Dog and Gun ( across the road from the KH ) serve up their famous goulash. 

Just now, Scully said:

I’ve been up and down most of them in my youth as they’re on my doorstep. Next time you’re heading down the M6 on your way there, take a slight detour and head for Skelton to the Dog and Gun. You’ll enjoy it.

Also, the Kings Head in Keswick do a fabulous Sunday lunch, and the ( again ) Dog and Gun ( across the road from the KH ) serve up their famous goulash. 

Cheers for that, we will be there at some stage, we want to do Newlands round again as my wife wants to have another paddle in the tarn on the way up Dale head.  I've probably been in the Keswick pubs but that would have been 40 ish years ago, they may have changed 😉

23 minutes ago, henry d said:

Cheers for that, we will be there at some stage, we want to do Newlands round again as my wife wants to have another paddle in the tarn on the way up Dale head.  I've probably been in the Keswick pubs but that would have been 40 ish years ago, they may have changed 😉

Their prices will have!:w00t:

One of my most enjoyable places is Carrick Bay. A mate I used to work for has a cabin right on the shore, and I’ve spent a lot of time there over the years both working and on holiday. There is no internet, no telephone, no street lights and no tv. It is bliss. All you can hear is the birds singing. 
We often dine out in Gatehouse of Fleet and spend a lot of time in Kircudbright as we have both exhibited there in the past, but most time is spent on the foreshore with the dog, just chilling. 
I am itching to return, and can’t wait to take our pup up there, she is gonna love it. 

16 minutes ago, Scully said:

One of my most enjoyable places is Carrick Bay. A mate I used to work for has a cabin right on the shore, and I’ve spent a lot of time there over the years both working and on holiday. There is no internet, no telephone, no street lights and no tv. It is bliss. All you can hear is the birds singing. 
We often dine out in Gatehouse of Fleet and spend a lot of time in Kircudbright as we have both exhibited there in the past, but most time is spent on the foreshore with the dog, just chilling. 
I am itching to return, and can’t wait to take our pup up there, she is gonna love it. 

I spent much of my childhood up there on Mossyard beach. We still have a place near Creetown and try to go up a few times a year. There is a good quiet beach at St Medan golf club. There’s some hidden steps exactly opposite the car park which lead you past an old church and graveyard onto a large beach, I’ve only ever seen one other person there.

6 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

I spent much of my childhood up there on Mossyard beach. We still have a place near Creetown and try to go up a few times a year. There is a good quiet beach at St Medan golf club. There’s some hidden steps exactly opposite the car park which lead you past an old church and graveyard onto a large beach, I’ve only ever seen one other person there.

Ah Maxwell's otter

https://www.relevantsearchscotland.co.uk/maxwells-otter.html

Edited by johnphilip

54 minutes ago, chilly1981 said:

I’m afraid the dog and guns goulash is not as good as it used to be  still nice mind and a lovely pub 

also up the hill the George does a lovely pie 

Ah well. It’s been a long time since I was in the Dog and Gun, but was in the Kings Head about two years ago. 👍

If your wife likes a paddle one of the most enjoyable walks for my wife and I was walking from the capark up catbells over onto maiden mor and then highspy,when you get to Dale Head tarn, turn right and head down the gully. You won't see a path as it's not well trodden but it's there, we past some lovely tall waterfalls and gin clear plunge pools, I had a swim in three of them., Nice and clean to get in and out, not like Dale Head tarn where your squishing through mud and silt at the edges.

Edited by figgy

6 hours ago, figgy said:

If your wife likes a paddle...

I don't think it was Dale head tarn it was the one just off the path just before you start the climb up to Dale head, it was a little rocky on one side and that is where she went in. I can't stop her, peak District (Waterfall Swallet??), Yorkshire dales, even a little brook running through a Cotswold town (Broadway??) anywhere, even St Andrews beach in March! I'm one up on her though, I had my feet in the Tay two weeks ago, not doing it today as it is starting to ice over!