Fibre shot cups and TSS

I'm working on some "Bio Wads" for 28ga myself.  I've shot 5 steel through them with good results.  TSS is normally much smaller than steel and should pose less threat to wad penetration I would think.  I need to make up a new batch of wads and see what happens with TSS.  My trap is down at the moment as I've shot through most of my floor material.

12 hours ago, bullet225ho said:

I'm working on some "Bio Wads" for 28ga myself.  I've shot 5 steel through them with good results.  TSS is normally much smaller than steel and should pose less threat to wad penetration I would think.  I need to make up a new batch of wads and see what happens with TSS.  My trap is down at the moment as I've shot through most of my floor material.

Can you get fibre cups for a 28g ?  As far as i know these are the only ones available over here and they are 12g, I was thinking about loading some 23/4 cases, cup split 4 ways, mylar wrap, nitro card, fillers and o/s then getting them tested, 1 oz of TSS 15 7's fills about 1/2 a cup, like you say small shot might not penetrate the walls so readily

506932879_thumbnail(23).jpg.7c8e9de9c21ca11cddf2efac9b8121cd.jpg 

Edited by islandgun

If you have some in 12ga available....yes by all means give it a go. With the shot taking up such a small volume of the wad you may be way down in pressure...but...you never know until you load and test.

I have rolled up some 28ga paper wads of my own.  used aluminum rod and wrapped several layers of super thin paper all glued together. then glued to nitro card.  I've loaded 3/4oz of 5 steel in them with lil-gun powder.  ran a ramp of test shots.  Patterns were great, velocity is down and I'd say pressure is down.  Wads came out like confetti.  However,  the peace's I did find show's no penetration through the paper wad. 

I'm looking to rework the wad as to not have to glue a bottom on.  I've been working on a "press" if you want to call it that.  It will fold the bottom of the paper wad flat similar to what is shown in your 12ga wads above.   Also working on a Bio plastic gas seal.  If I can get the paper wad done proper then I'd like a gas seal for good pressure vs the nitro card.  I have some molding materials and using existing plastic wads to make a bio plastic starch wad.  Experimenting is fun, but a pain the *** at the same time. 

6 hours ago, bullet225ho said:

If you have some in 12ga available....yes by all means give it a go. With the shot taking up such a small volume of the wad you may be way down in pressure...but...you never know until you load and test.

I have rolled up some 28ga paper wads of my own.  used aluminum rod and wrapped several layers of super thin paper all glued together. then glued to nitro card.  I've loaded 3/4oz of 5 steel in them with lil-gun powder.  ran a ramp of test shots.  Patterns were great, velocity is down and I'd say pressure is down.  Wads came out like confetti.  However,  the peace's I did find show's no penetration through the paper wad. 

I'm looking to rework the wad as to not have to glue a bottom on.  I've been working on a "press" if you want to call it that.  It will fold the bottom of the paper wad flat similar to what is shown in your 12ga wads above.   Also working on a Bio plastic gas seal.  If I can get the paper wad done proper then I'd like a gas seal for good pressure vs the nitro card.  I have some molding materials and using existing plastic wads to make a bio plastic starch wad.  Experimenting is fun, but a pain the *** at the same time. 

Good stuff, Im wondering if you could get some used small bore paper cases, remove the brass and perhaps crimp/rto close and glue in a nitro card, turn it round and use as a wad.  "say" a 28 into 20, why not go the whole hog and load into paper cases and have a complete bio degradable NT load !

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

Good stuff, Im wondering if you could get some used small bore paper cases, remove the brass and perhaps crimp/rto close and glue in a nitro card, turn it round and use as a wad.  "say" a 28 into 20, why not go the whole hog and load into paper cases and have a complete bio degradable NT load !

16ga paper cases is a nice sliding fit into a 12ga case. Will the 16ga paper tube be strong enough is the question the C&G 12ga wads shown in the photo are made from tuff stuff.  And then the cost of 16ga paper cases to be used as wads all continues to add to the cost.

20 minutes ago, rbrowning2 said:

16ga paper cases is a nice sliding fit into a 12ga case. Will the 16ga paper tube be strong enough is the question the C&G 12ga wads shown in the photo are made from tuff stuff.  And then the cost of 16ga paper cases to be used as wads all continues to add to the cost.

Fair points . Ok if you have a good source of free used cases, with Tungsten at £75 a kg this isn't cheap re-loading..😀