Porcelain sink, and Plastic Bath cleaner, ?? Black Mold Residue ?

oldypigeonpopper

Hello, as above, went to my son who has not been to good, (Autism) and found the above needed doing, I cleaned out the extractor fan, but no cleaner I used could shift the black stain left after scrubbing, is there any professional cleaner that will get the above back to a very clean surface, it was a new bathroom suite put in 2 years ago, any advice appreciated, cheers

I used cheap toilet cleaner on some hard to shift mould in our bathroom. It is thick and sticks fairly well. In places where it wouldn’t stick under its own viscosity I used kitchen roll soaked in the toilet cleaner that I then stuck in place with masking tape. It worked very well for us. As mentioned in a previous post you do need to leave it for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off.

Edited by Sussexboy

47 minutes ago, Westward said:

I've found HG products always perform well and their Bathroom Mould Spray is very effective on the black stuff. It didn't affect our acrylic bath at all.

B&Q stock the whole range and it's not expensive.

As above HG are good. Bicarb mixed with vinegar. Quality bleach and leave it for a while might work as well as the pink stuff that comes out of brillo pads ( not supermarket own brands I may add.

1 hour ago, JTaylor91 said:

Have you tried this?

image.jpeg.0fc0d263390d56600cfd7e0a0a4b1048.jpeg

Yes , it still left the black stain 

1 hour ago, Westward said:

I've found HG products always perform well and their Bathroom Mould Spray is very effective on the black stuff. It didn't affect our acrylic bath at all.

Hello, tried the black Mold, still left as above

31 minutes ago, Sussexboy said:

I used cheap toilet cleaner on some hard to shift mould in our bathroom. It is thick and sticks fairly well. In places where it wouldn’t stick under its own viscosity I used kitchen roll soaked in the toilet cleaner that I then stuck in place with masking tape. It worked very well for us. As mentioned in a previous post you do need to leave it for at least 30 minutes before rinsing off.

Will try that, 👍

2 hours ago, Westward said:

Plus 1 on the HG mould cleaner - it’s really effective.  Stinks of bleach but it does a great job.

Look at the ingredients of any "mould cleaner" product before you buy it.  Almost all of them are nothing more than diluted household bleach (sodium hypochlorite) with maybe one or two other things chucked in to give viscosity or perfume.  You literally will not get anywhere further than if you just use normal bleach, at a fraction of the cost.  As said above you need to wait some time for it to work - it has to go through a process of oxidising the mould.  Best way to do it is to wet a sponge, squeeze it out and then squib some bleach onto the sponge so when you squeeze it you get a gloopy foam.  Daub it on to the affected area generously, go back around and reapply it after 30 minutes or so to keep it wet.  I'd say at least an hour contact time is needed if it's stubborn.  Shouldn't need much scrubbing, just a rinse off with plenty of cold water.

Two things with bleach:  Obviously you need to be sure you're not going to damage any surfaces you treat with it, which is very unlikely with plastic & porcelain - but if you're unsure, test first in an inconspicuous place.

Secondly, do not use heat with bleach.  At cold temperatures the sodium hypochlorite molecule sheds its extra oxygen atom, giving the oxidising effect.  If you use it hot it sheds its chlorine which is very dangerous!

An alternative oxidising chemistry to try would be hydrogen peroxide.  You'd need at least a 12% vol solution for mildew.  You can apply heat to hydrogen peroxide to accelerate the chemical reaction but it would be a bit tricky on a hard surface.  A hairdryer would be no good as you'd just dry it out, but an old towel dampened in the solution with a steam iron on low heat passed over the top of the towel might work.  Hydrogen peroxide needs handling with care, it will sting and temporarily whiten your skin and you don't want it in your eyes.  Ventilation is a must whatever chemicals you use.

Have you got any photos of the affected items?  I'm surprised what you've already tried hasn't worked.