Nextbase 412GW

steve_b_wales

I've got a problem with my dashcam. While driving to work last night, I noticed that the screen froze as it started recording (it records on start up for a minute or two)

I connected it to my computer today and the battery started to charge. The screen is has the 'locked' sign on it and I cannot do anything with the menu etc. Pressing it does nothing. It also won't switch off and now it's showing one bar on the battery panel, despite being left to charge for most of the day, and it doesn't show that it charging. No matter what I press, nothing happens, not even the beeping sound when the buttons are pressed.

Any ideas????

Edited by steve_b_wales

4 minutes ago, Digger79 said:

If you look at bottom (underneath) of camera there is a reset button. TAKE SIM CARD OUT FIRST before reset, hope this helps

I tried the reset, but not with the card taken out first. I'll have a go now. 

* Just tried that, and not the screen won't come on. Pressing the buttons and they show a blue light but that's all. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

On 10/02/2021 at 20:41, Digger79 said:

Have you tried formatting card, otherwise nextbase support chat

Yes, formatted the card, still a problem. Just spoke to one of their support staff (based in Cardiff of all places) and he said it's probably one of two things. One, the internal battery is knackered, and can be replaced, either by myself with a bit of soldering for £10, or fitted for £32, or Two, the micro SD card is corrupt.

I've plugged the dash cam into the mains socket via USB lead and it appears to be charging, although he recommended giving it a couple of hours on charge. But, I changed the SD card and I can now alter the settings etc. SO, it seems like the SD card is corrupt. I've ordered a new one (£5.80) and I may get the battery changed as well. At the most, it will cost me under £40. Better than paying £129 from Argos, which, according to the support staff, is a good price, as they should retail at £159.

Happy Days.

You can get a clip on ferrite ring that’ll possibly help with the radio, it just clips onto the power cable. If you have the box for the camera check in there as they’re often supplied loose in the box. I had a transit connect which I hardwired with the wires routed passenger side, DAB stopped working and the FM was weaker than usual. It does seem more common to have issues with DAB rather than FM. I rerouted the wires to the drivers side and all was fine. I have solved the issue on other vehicles with the ferrite ring so worth trying that first as they’re cheap. I normally put them as close to the camera as possibly but still behind the headlining, some people do put one each end though.

Edited by 20alex09

34 minutes ago, 20alex09 said:

You can get a clip on ferrite ring that’ll possibly help with the radio, it just clips onto the power cable. If you have the box for the camera check in there as they’re often supplied loose in the box. I had a transit connect which I hardwired with the wires routed passenger side, DAB stopped working and the FM was weaker than usual. It does seem more common to have issues with DAB rather than FM. I rerouted the wires to the drivers side and all was fine. I have solved the issue on other vehicles with the ferrite ring so worth trying that first as they’re cheap. I normally put them as close to the camera as possibly but still behind the headlining, some people do put one each end though.

I've lost the box it came it, Alex. Where do you get the ferrite rings?

• 1 month later...

You also need to use heavy duty micro sd cards. Normal cards dont do well with the high write cycles in dash cams and can fail after a few months. I thought my dash cam was broken because I kept getting card errors but then I found out that I should have been using a heavy Duty card and problem gone. I wasnt using cheapo no brand cards either.

10 hours ago, Lord O War said:

You also need to use heavy duty micro sd cards. Normal cards dont do well with the high write cycles in dash cams and can fail after a few months. I thought my dash cam was broken because I kept getting card errors but then I found out that I should have been using a heavy Duty card and problem gone. I wasnt using cheapo no brand cards either.

I've got a san disk 32gb micro sd that I had spare just to use while figuring the camera out etc what card would you recommend? Was going to get the 128gb san disk one when this card fails 

2 hours ago, Stephen-H said:

I've got a san disk 32gb micro sd that I had spare just to use while figuring the camera out etc what card would you recommend? Was going to get the 128gb san disk one when this card fails 

When my dashcam was returned to me after developing a fault, I was advised to purchase a NextBase micro SD card. I haven't as yet, but probably will do soon. I was also advised that it pays to reformat the card every 1-2 weeks.