Out in the snow.

JDog

Mightymariner was keen to be relieved of duties in front of his computer, I was keen to catch up with a few pigeons so we met up yesterday afternoon for a session. The field I wanted to shoot was within half a mile of my house which was just as well as the roads out of the village were covered in snow and ice.

I had watched pigeon behaviour in the field for a week or so and I knew where they were likely to head to - two sitty trees. We set up 30m apart with a rotary and some shell decoys. The first few lots came close but veered off and went to sit in other trees at the far end of the field. It wasn’t long before MM decided that my plan was poor and he decided to go and stand under those trees.

We must have seen seven or eight hundred pigeons during our session but most were flying between other woods on the skyline. Those that came back to the field didn’t decoy due to the snow cover but came close enough for a look and some were shot. I had some of the best shooting I have had for a while at birds at some range. We picked 24 pigeons between us. 

4292C9CA-3941-4EB3-90C6-532BA911F09E.jpeg

09F376DE-05E3-4B83-8C29-1BA309C18DFE.jpeg

You and MM did well to get that many as a lot of us wouldn’t even venture out in these conditions. I was hoping to get out later today but 5 inches of snow overnight has put pay to that idea.

You need Ditchman to come and sort those moles out in front of your hide 😂

Thanks for posting both   photos and write up.

OB

Well done for venturing out. There is definitely something about shooting when there's snow on the ground - even if the returns aren't great. Most fields covered our way but one sheltered field is still showing and pigeons are building. I'm hoping the farmer keeps the banger off until Saturday when the wind looks perfect. 

4 hours ago, JDog said:

Mightymariner was keen to be relieved of duties in front of his computer, I was keen to catch up with a few pigeons so we met up yesterday afternoon for a session. The field I wanted to shoot was within half a mile of my house which was just as well as the roads out of the village were covered in snow and ice.

I had watched pigeon behaviour in the field for a week or so and I knew where they were likely to head to - two sitty trees. We set up 30m apart with a rotary and some shell decoys. The first few lots came close but veered off and went to sit in other trees at the far end of the field. It wasn’t long before MM decided that my plan was poor and he decided to go and stand under those trees.

We must have seen seven or eight hundred pigeons during our session but most were flying between other woods on the skyline. Those that came back to the field didn’t decoy due to the snow cover but came close enough for a look and some were shot. I had some of the best shooting I have had for a while at birds at some range. We picked 24 pigeons between us. 

4292C9CA-3941-4EB3-90C6-532BA911F09E.jpeg

09F376DE-05E3-4B83-8C29-1BA309C18DFE.jpeg

If you had looked at the weather you wouldn't have contemplated going out but it was actually quite pleasant on the side of the hill, the sun made it warm and I didn't notice the wind. 

JDog's plan was good but I could see we would be frustrated watching birds dropping at the top of the field, so it made sense to move. I just took a net and seat. I think the pigeons were blinded a bit by the snow as they came to trees very easily when I thought they might spot me.

As Johnny says, it was great to be out, given I spend all my days in front of a screen, this was the perfect antidote. I have included a couple of pix, one from my 'hide' and one as we left the field.

thumbnail_IMG_1763.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_1765.jpg

3 hours ago, JDog said:

I had some of the best shooting I have had for a while at birds at some range. We picked 24 pigeons between us. 

Sounds like a good session!

Went out last night after rabbits; farmer has requested keeping on top of them even at this time of year..  With the frost, was like walking on corn flakes.  Finally tally...er, one bunny.

Wasn't actually that cold, but I did carefully select my layers.