BASC SAFE SHOT

flycoy

Good Evening All

The Basc Shotgun Safe Shot, is now available  online as a Theory assessment, its free to have a go.            basc.org.uk > basc-training-courses

You will need to do the practical side of the certificate once we can do these things again, but you can see how you do with the 25 questions. you will need to answer 80% correctly to pass.

There is a list of assessors online too, so you can book in for the practical side if you would like the certificate and badge to show your syndicate or club you are a safe shot.

Give it ago and reply to the post on how you got on

thanks  

stay safe 

Flycoy

Edited by flycoy

Just letting PW members know that I'm a BASC Safe Shot Assessor.

webber

26 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

This is just another thing for the FEO to demand people pass before a grant, both theory and practical, and a money spinner for BASC. 

I wonder if they and the police came up with the idea together 

Safe Shot is not a new idea.

BASC make nothing from the scheme, although the assessor does take a fee from the client.

webber

8 hours ago, enfieldspares said:

Is this not the old Proficieny Scheme withnthe quarry recognition and season dates stripped out?

Sorry, but not anywhere near close. The PAS was a 10 week course covering all aspects of our sport with extensive theory and practical assessments at the end. To give an idea, FACE said that it equated to anything our European friends had to undertake. It was run at a county level by a trained Honorary Regional Education Development Officer (HonREDO) - later shortened to HEO - who had a team of Technical Officers for specific subjects as he saw fit. None of these were paid except for expenses and for which none of my guys ever claimed and I only claimed for trips to t' Mill when this was necessary. I don't understand this word, "fee".

Many of the HonREDOs then became BASC Sporting Shotgun Shooting Coaches again under BASC's Gerry Turner and trained by John King and Chris Craddock and then assessed by Mike Aldis. Again unpaid for BASC activities and fairly so as BASC stood the cost of the training course including the accommodation.

53 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Sorry, but not anywhere near close. The PAS was a 10 week course covering all aspects of our sport with extensive theory and practical assessments at the end. To give an idea, FACE said that it equated to anything our European friends had to undertake.

I'm assuming this was dropped due to low take up?  And the legal difficulties associated with getting non-FAC holders onto a range?

7 minutes ago, udderlyoffroad said:

I'm assuming this was dropped due to low take up?  And the legal difficulties associated with getting non-FAC holders onto a range?

Second point first, no. First point, possibly. For several years of running 2 or 3 - can't remember now - a year with a full classroom I relocated which made me pause. A colleague based to where I went also moved. I ran just one course for a few folk there who had been patiently waiting and then things seemed to dry up. The clue to the intention is the title of the course 'bible' - "The Handbook Of Shooting The Sporting Shotgun". This was to be a trilogy with the "sporting Rifle" and "Sporting Air Rifle" to follow on. So, yep, had things continued the FAC could have been a problem although I think not. My initial work was in a shooting county and the shotgun course was warmly welcomed. We had no trouble getting media coverage and everyone was generally helpful. The thing is is that this was getting on for 40 years ago now and times change.

7 hours ago, 243deer said:

this post appears to be a slightly devious way to promote your own service to folk which costs how much?

Not at all. Just thought PW members may like to give it a go. Good to be safe and give the image of being so on your shoot or syndicate. 

flycoy 

37 minutes ago, flycoy said:

Not at all. Just thought PW members may like to give it a go. Good to be safe and give the image of being so on your shoot or syndicate. 

flycoy 

Sometimes a theory is nice and easy to pass, but at the same time fail, what some Consider a safe shot others may not and vice versa. I know ive been out with rifle before and not taking a shot, to then be asked why id not taken it. Explained my reasons why etc. Someone else would of taken it. Its all down to the trigger finger and whos finger it is. 

Unsure if a course like this would change people's perception of a safe shot 

2 hours ago, ShootingEgg said:

Sometimes a theory is nice and easy to pass, but at the same time fail, what some Consider a safe shot others may not and vice versa. I know ive been out with rifle before and not taking a shot, to then be asked why id not taken it. Explained my reasons why etc. Someone else would of taken it. Its all down to the trigger finger and whos finger it is. 

Unsure if a course like this would change people's perception of a safe shot 

Exactly this.  I would regard myself as being relatively experienced lol. But shoot with many different people. A few with only a couple of years under there belt and when in the heat of battle would let go at anything.  But they could also teach us everything there is lol 

Think all of the courses are great at showing our responsibility for our shooting sports. Great for the less experienced gaining knowledge. Problem will always be the cost and mindset of newcomers who could probably teach the instructors in their eyes.

2 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Out of curiosity, how do you become a BASC Safe Shot Assessor?

I'm a BASC Shotgun Coach.

When we took on Rixton & Astley Shooting Club, I thought that it would be a good idea to offer the Safe Shot Assessment.

I undertook a theory and practical test with Duncan Greaves of BASC and passed as an assessor.

webber