BASC SAFE SHOT

flycoy

A few things have got me puzzled????????

What information do they want that you are unwilling to give ?

Why the numerous questions about " how much does it cost? "  yet many will pay stupid money to be instructed by people who cannot instruct !

Final moan is , Do not confuse Safe Shot with the long gone PAS . 

PAS was a real educational tool that many shooting enthusiasts benefitted from and in my opinion should be re-instated .

I ran numerous courses in Shropshire and each weekly segment had instruction from seriously good 'experts' in their field , Ian Openshaw , Mike Jones, on Gundogs , Tony Orchard , John Batley, Pigeon shooting , Bill Harriman, Firearms, lots of good Head keepers, George Hill, Wldfowling  etc., etc., 

SafeShot is a badge of recognition that you have met the necessary criteria to indicate that you have basic knowledge of shotgun safety , nothing more and nothing less. 

2 hours ago, bottletopbill said:

BASC thank you we all need to  show the anti's we do care about gun care and our sport and are safe and competent . Not as Mr C P tries to show us as and we only want to wipe out all game and the mass slaughter of coloured clays ,

I’m afraid the antis couldn’t care less about how safe or competent we are. It just isn’t relevant to their agenda. 

Mixed views on this, I know of at least one police force making people who apply for a shotgun certificate attend a local clay ground for a “safe gun handling course” fee £70 before the police will issue the shotgun certificate. Nothing in law gives the police the authority to do so, but like so much these days, it is play by their rules or don’t play.

if the basc safe shot is free and aimed at new shotgun owners and accepted by the police then I guess it has some merit.

But look how such ideas have grown within the NRA empire.

Could Licence holder's not put a letter in  with a licence application stating that this  person as shown they are safe. This happened to me with my FAC licence as the Met police said i did not have any firearms training despite holding a shotgun licence since i was eighteen years old and was now in my sixties. And was in the T A when i was younger and fired many weapon's. A kind member from Kent took me out with for two days and submitted a letter to the Met  . So we should help other's

Edited by bottletopbill

37 minutes ago, Scully said:

Which police authority is this? 

My mate had it with the MET, I didn't have it with the MET but had a different officer, because the one my mate had was on leave. I had to get someone to email him, that they had been shooting with me and I was safe. If I couldn't get anyone to vouch for me, then it meant paying for a course or no SGC.

I have also had to write a letter for someone at my rifle club, stating that he had been clay shooting and had been shown shotgun safety and demonstrated he was safe with a shotgun. (He has been shooting firearms far longer than me but didn't have an SGC). 

This was also the MET and he was told if he couldn't get anyone to vouch for his safety with a shotgun, then he would have to pay for a shotgun safety course.

Edited by Newbie to this

24 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

My mate had it with the MET, I didn't have it with the MET but had a different officer, because the one my mate had was on leave. I had to get someone to email him, that they had been shooting with me and I was safe. If I couldn't get anyone to vouch for me, then it meant paying for a course or no SGC.

I have also had to write a letter for someone at my rifle club, stating that he had been clay shooting and had been shown shotgun safety and demonstrated he was safe with a shotgun. (He has been shooting firearms far longer than me but didn't have an SGC). 

This was also the MET and he was told if he couldn't get anyone to vouch for his safety with a shotgun, then he would have to pay for a shotgun safety course.

Thanks, that’s interesting.  it was to rBrowning2’s post I was enquiring. 

12 minutes ago, strimmer_13 said:

There you go, get basc to use their 'fund' to fight that. 

Win that one and I'd consider joining them again 

None of our organisations will fight this as they gain to profit from such schemes like DSC for example. 

9 minutes ago, Scully said:

Thanks, that’s interesting.  it was to rBrowning2’s post I was enquiring. 

None of our organisations will fight this as they gain to profit from such schemes like DSC for example. 

Oh I know that, I was kind of being sarcastic with a splash of optimistic. Same as others being told they have to do a dsc or some such. Look at bottletopbill, held a shotgun for 40+ years and needed proof he's safe. Thought that was the process of referee's in the application. 

Sounds like the met need to wind their neck in, but no member of public has the funds and no orgs will want too. 

Edited by strimmer_13

1 minute ago, strimmer_13 said:

Oh I know that, I was kind of being sarcastic with a splash of optimistic. Same as others being told they have to do a dsc or some such. Look at bottletopbill, held a shotgun for 40+ years and needed proof he's safe. Thought that was the process of referee's in the application. 

Sounds like the met need to wind their neck in, but no member of public has the funds and no orgs will want too. 

Quite. 👍

4 minutes ago, Scully said:

Quite. 👍

The Met officer contacted both referee's to see if i was safe and did they have any concern's to phone him. We he came to interview me he looked as he had just painted his room in a nylon tracksuit with splash marks on it and unshaven not as a FAC officer and only gave me a 22lr licence with a 100 rounds.

8 minutes ago, bottletopbill said:

The Met officer contacted both referee's to see if i was safe and did they have any concern's to phone him. We he came to interview me he looked as he had just painted his room in a nylon tracksuit with splash marks on it and unshaven not as a FAC officer and only gave me a 22lr licence with a 100 rounds.

The contacting of both referees is just common practise. A mate and me both refereed another mate on his renewal ( no mention of any potential bias on our parts as we both shoot on his land! ) and I was contacted by his FEO ( same one as mine ) who asked if I had any concerns! 😀

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

The contacting of both referees is just common practise. A mate and me both refereed another mate on his renewal ( no mention of any potential bias on our parts as we both shoot on his land! ) and I was contacted by his FEO ( same one as mine ) who asked if I had any concerns! 😀

11 minutes ago, Scully said:

O K thought he was being a funny as never had one so rude before loved himself type 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

Which police authority is this? 

Have it on good authority it is Kent, BASC were told about it, including the name of the commercial clay ground running the safety course. What the outcome was of informing BASC I do not know, may get an update after lockdown when travel restrictions are removed.

1 minute ago, rbrowning2 said:

Have it on good authority it is Kent, BASC were told about it, including the name of the commercial clay ground running the safety course. What the outcome was of informing BASC I do not know, may get an update after lockdown when travel restrictions are removed.

Thanks. 👍