I’m On The Run (HMRC scam)

JTaylor91

They really are the pitts, people who run these scams. My sister who is old and lives alone gets them and has the nous to just hang up but they do frighten her until she can speak to one of us about whatever.

She had one last week supposed to be from the insurance company she insures her kitchen equipment and gas boiler with to say they were changing from direct debit to taking payment from your card. Very convincing they had all her details.

One of my staff for some reason actually spoke to them as he thought it was genuine. Fortunately he asked me for help while the scammer was on the phone and I spent a happy 10 minutes taking the rise out of the scammer before he got wound up enough to cut the call. 

To be honest the scammers are getting good one of our reps had a call supposedly from his bank and nearly got caught out they had his date of birth, the correct bank and a load of other details (probably gleaned from social media). It was only when towards the end of the call the scammer asked him to urgently transfer all his money into another account that the penny dropped and he told them good try but it wasn't happening. 

Edited by Zetter

I  actually pressed 1 on the HMRC fraud line phone call because I was bored and they were going to issue a warrant for my arrest immediately if I didn’t.

It was the most fun I’ve had on a phone call, who’d have thought that Dave from HMRC (Mumbai office) could be so touchy and hang up on me after patiently explaining my crime, I was a convincing victim but the silly questions started which I think gave it away.

I asked him was the fraud because I had been involved in a car accident that wasn’t my fault. 

Was it because I was miss sold PPI.

Surely it couldn’t be because there was a problem with my talk talk internet router even though I’m with BT.

The one that made him flip was asking if there was a pigeon in my HMRC bank account and did they need to jet wash it to fix the problem.

Obviously he doesn’t watch Phonejacker as I gave my name as George Agg-dug-wingo at the start, I know I got the pronunciation wrong because I couldn’t quite remember it but still made me laugh I even said monies.

I wish I had the foresight to record it.

I do know someone who nearly fell for it because of personal mileage and petrol receipts he spoke to the guy and only hung up just before he gave his card details. 

He rang me straight after to see what I thought, when I tried to sell him a timeshare mid conversation he hung up on me as well😂

They are not so much fun these days as most want you to press a button before they start the chat.   It's usually an electronic gizmo telling you that the end of your world is nigh.   Back a while and there was always someone there to chat to.   That opened up all sorts of possibilities on a boring stay at home day and you knew that they were paying for the call.   My best effort was when Miss India told me, very loudly and rudley I thought, to F off and then she slammed the phone down on me.   She had eventually twigged that I can speak English.  

6 hours ago, JTaylor91 said:

“HMRC” have just called. I have a tax fraud case against me and if I don’t press 1, a warrant will be issued and I will be “arrested very shortly”. I didn’t press 1 so I am now a fugitive and going on the run.

I'll help out if you like? I can share the refund cost Amazon is sending me for the Apple iPad I ordered. It's quite a lot. I just need to press "2" to process it. 

Edited by enfieldspares

9 hours ago, Zetter said:

One of my staff for some reason actually spoke to them as he thought it was genuine. Fortunately he asked me for help while the scammer was on the phone and I spent a happy 10 minutes taking the rise out of the scammer before he got wound up enough to cut the call. 

To be honest the scammers are getting good one of our reps had a call supposedly from his bank and nearly got caught out they had his date of birth, the correct bank and a load of other details (probably gleaned from social media). It was only when towards the end of the call the scammer asked him to urgently transfer all his money into another account that the penny dropped and he told them good try but it wasn't happening. 

Some of them are frighteningly good, I would regard myself as fairly savvy and intelligent but still ended up losing £7500 on a machinery sale through Ebay that never existed. At some point I was moved over from real Ebay to fake ebay, complete with fake customer services and fake online chat, who I actually asked to check that the whole thing was legit. Real Ebay were completely uninterested and the advert stayed up for another week.

• 4 weeks later...