Wind Direction

Trenta

20 minutes ago, Trenta said:

Hi guys, just a quick one - what do you prefer and why - wind from behind, or in your face?

Looks like tomorrow I might have a stiff breeze in the face - which is going to be cold as well...

Rather you than me , I hate the wind in my face at any time of the year and with the freezing Easterly winds we are having now would be far to cold and dead easy to get a wind chill , with the wind blowing in your face the pigeons would have to come in from behind you , can be done but have a good look around to find a place to set up with the wind behind you and a holly , or Ivy bush to set up against to give you a bit of shelter.

Also don't rush into setting up before you are convinced it will be worth getting cold for .     GOOD LUCK 

If there is no alternative I have shot pigeons with the wind in my face, not ideal, I like the wind either from the back or from the left or right, couple things mentioned above with this very cold wind in your face, watery eyes and wind chill, if you can get the wind to your left or right put a fishing brolly up, you will be surprised the difference it makes.

This is where the old fashion bale hides come into it's own , can be put in the middle of the field , shoot in any wind direction and can keep most of the cold out .

When there was only the odd field grown this was never much of a problem getting 12 / 13 small straw bales dropped off to where you wanted them , our ones were normally sited between the tram lines so they were not in the way when the sprayer came onto the field , to get the bales dropped in the right place we left a flag knocked in the ground and after they were dropped off we would build the hide straightaway before the bales got wet and heavy , now a days the bales are the big round ones or the large square ones and not to many farmers are keen to leave these in each field if the pigeon damage is only small or non at all , although one farm manager I know would leave one large(ish) square bale in the middle of the field so you have something to put a hide up against in any wind direction , now you don't hear of many pigeon shooters shooting from the old fashion bale hides , or do they ?:hmm:

20 hours ago, marsh man said:

Rather you than me , I hate the wind in my face at any time of the year and with the freezing Easterly winds we are having now would be far to cold and dead easy to get a wind chill , with the wind blowing in your face the pigeons would have to come in from behind you , can be done but have a good look around to find a place to set up with the wind behind you and a holly , or Ivy bush to set up against to give you a bit of shelter.

Also don't rush into setting up before you are convinced it will be worth getting cold for .     GOOD LUCK 

I have to agree , wind at your back so the birds come in facing you, head shots or crossers are always better than shooting them in the back side, I always carry a large fishing brolly, so if there is no cover I can build a hide around the brolly, it keeps the wind off and can be disguised as a large bush, ideal for shooting out in the field rather than getting in under a hedge, gives a slightly better field of view and larger angle to take your shots.👍

3 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

I have to agree , wind at your back so the birds come in facing you, head shots or crossers are always better than shooting them in the back side, I always carry a large fishing brolly, so if there is no cover I can build a hide around the brolly, it keeps the wind off and can be disguised as a large bush, ideal for shooting out in the field rather than getting in under a hedge, gives a slightly better field of view and larger angle to take your shots.👍

A brolly works great when there's no hedge or cover to put your hide against, also stops the wind on your back.

hide.jpg

On Wednesday in extreme cold and a 25mph wind I was fortunate to find a wooden pallet right where I wanted to set up. This was fixed in place behind my hide position and I fixed a cut down tarpaulin to it. I was as warm as toast in the hide, not so when I went out to pick dead pigeons up.

Binbrook snow hide 2.jpg

Certaily wind from behind or 45deg either angle ensures the birds dropping in should come at a suitable angle. There again we are not always in perfect conditions and then a wind from right or left can work just fine but we don't have an APP on our I Phones to regulate these things so have to adapt as required.   Yep, nothing beats a good thick bramble behind you to cut the wind, big problem is my eye lids begin to flutter and I don't see much for half an hour.

On 13/02/2021 at 10:54, JDog said:

On Wednesday in extreme cold and a 25mph wind I was fortunate to find a wooden pallet right where I wanted to set up. This was fixed in place behind my hide position and I fixed a cut down tarpaulin to it. I was as warm as toast in the hide, not so when I went out to pick dead pigeons up.

Binbrook snow hide 2.jpg

That looks bloody cold! Well done you.

On 13/02/2021 at 10:28, old'un said:

A brolly works great when there's no hedge or cover to put your hide against, also stops the wind on your back.

hide.jpg

Nice one , the hide looks good, makes me want to get out and have a go, I like to cover my dead birds with a bit of camo net as I get the odd bird shy away when they get a flash from the white on the dead birds.( that is when I actually have any dead birds to show for my efforts 😄) 👍