Cartridge for pigeons

7 minutes ago, MWildfowler said:

Hi Guys, 

I was wondering what cartridge people would recommend for going out on the pigeons? I know everyone will have different opinions but i was just curious to see what everyone says before i put my order in. 

Thanks

Use whatever cartridges you are happy with , what do you normally use for the type of shooting you do ? , people now shoot pigeons with a 4.10 and every bore up to the standard 12 bore , so if you can shoot straight then most run of the mill game cartridges will do the job .

21 minutes ago, old'un said:

28g 7.5 you will kill pigeons all-day long at decoy range, good out to 40/50 yards if you are on target.

Above 100% spot-on but if you want a little further range Eley pigeon HV 32grms 6's are deadly. . . .  assuming you hit the part of the bird between both wings

1 hour ago, old'un said:

28g 7.5 you will kill pigeons all-day long at decoy range, good out to 40/50 yards if you are on target.

51 minutes ago, mgsontour said:

Above 100% spot-on but if you want a little further range Eley pigeon HV 32grms 6's are deadly. . . .  assuming you hit the part of the bird between both wings

Yep, if your backside is close to the ground. :whistling:

2 hours ago, Ultrastu said:

Yeah I use between 16 grm of no6 

And 32 grm of no 5  and 24 grm of no7.5 

If its in range its dead ? I dont really think the biggest factor is the cartridge   .

For a number of years I used Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30gm for both pigeons and game and they were an excellent cartridge , the price was reasonable and I was getting a fair price for my pigeons , then the price of cartridges started to go up and the price for dead pigeons were coming down so I started to try a cheaper cartridge , if they were advertised local on the forum I would buy them ( if TIGHTCHOKE had missed the advert:lol:) and I soon had over 2000 mixed cartridges , some were the same for a couple of slabs while others were 50 here and a 100 there so to speak , over a period of time I got through several and I can honestly say there wasn't a bad cartridge , some days the bloke who was using them wasn't up to standard but that was nothing to do with the cartridge , in other words , the cartridge is plenty good enough to kill at a fair distance but the person pulling the trigger don't always do the cartridge fair justice .

3 minutes ago, marsh man said:

For a number of years I used Gamebore Clear Pigeon 30gm for both pigeons and game and they were an excellent cartridge , the price was reasonable and I was getting a fair price for my pigeons , then the price of cartridges started to go up and the price for dead pigeons were coming down so I started to try a cheaper cartridge , if they were advertised local on the forum I would buy them ( if TIGHTCHOKE had missed the advert:lol:) and I soon had over 2000 mixed cartridges , some were the same for a couple of slabs while others were 50 here and a 100 there so to speak , over a period of time I got through several and I can honestly say there wasn't a bad cartridge , some days the bloke who was using them wasn't up to standard but that was nothing to do with the cartridge , in other words , the cartridge is plenty good enough to kill at a fair distance but the person pulling the trigger don't always do the cartridge fair justice .

Yes indeed, I even delivered some to you!

If the gun is pointed in the right place it is very difficult to blame the cartridge or the gun.

Buy whatever is cheapest and readily available from your local gunshop.

18 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, I even delivered some to you!

If the gun is pointed in the right place it is very difficult to blame the cartridge or the gun.

Buy whatever is cheapest and readily available from your local gunshop.

Yes I remember you well and it was very nice meeting the fastest trigger in the Eastern regions when it come to cartridges for sale :good: .

I agree that most cheap cartridges are up for the job , and ideally you find one for a good price and you have confidence in it , I bought a lot of Velocity 28gm which I liked and got on well with , these at the time were £45 a slab and were a good shell for both pigeons and game .

42 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Never paid that much for Gamebore Velocities!

We only had one other shop in the Yarmouth area that sold cartridges and his shells were pricey as he didn't sell that many , the shop that sold the Velocity were normally £200 a 1000 , the local clay clubs put in a big order and got them down to £180 a 1000 and they would let the ones in the know have a slab for the same rate , this would be around two years ago , back in the days when you went in a shop and didn't look like you were holding them up with a mask on .

2 hours ago, MWildfowler said:

Thanks for all the replies. Time to find the cheapest I can get my hands on then!

the last few years I have been using Express English Sporter 28g 7.5 and Fiocchi TT-One 28g 7.5, they will kill pigeons and blacks out to a good range, over decoys they are excellent, at around £200 per thousand not to heavy on the pocket.

Are you decoying or roost shooting?

Decoying 28g of 6.5/7 (clay loads often) always take a couple of box of the below incase the birds don’t play    

roost shooting I favour my 30 or 32g game cartridge.  

Well that’s my determined aim however reality is often whatever I have available when I go or get ask out.  

I have used a selection of cartridges over the years- usually whatever is on offer/cheapest at the time of purchase.

30g of no7 shot would be my choice of load for decoying and roosting, however this is not an easy load to find as 28g of no7.5 shot being the popular clay load- which does the job very well.

Hitman.