Winters over?

old'un

3 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Not so sure. It's so cold down here that with the wind in the south west we had to light a fire to keep warm. Worked a treat but the 'moor looked a bit of a mess this morning. :whistling:

yep, I seen that on the news, how the hell did that catch fire everything is wet or frozen.

1 minute ago, mel b3 said:

I've worked outside in some rough weather over the years , but the last two days have been so cold I could have cried 😢.

your getting old mate, mind you I am older than you and I was out shooting pigeons in it, it was bloody cold though. :)

3 minutes ago, old'un said:

yep, I seen that on the news, how the hell did that catch fire everything is wet or frozen.

your getting old mate, mind you I am older than you and I was out shooting pigeons in it, it was bloody cold though.

Moors catch fire when drying winds come in from the East containing no moist air. It happens a lot elsewhere. 

Just now, old'un said:

Strange, you don't associate that type of fire with winter, so how do they start? You haven't got another Wymberley have you?

Dont know TBH Muir burn or discarded cigarette, better now than in the summer, wildfires will be normal if the "save the world" re-wilders get their way

Although we've had a good soaking but not for a few days, we have had a good old hoolie in the meantime. Although here it was in the SW it has swung around from the East and a few days of this soon dried out the exposed areas of the moor and once a small fire however started it would have been well stoked up in the wind.

37 minutes ago, old'un said:

your getting old mate, mind you I am older than you and I was out shooting pigeons in it, it was bloody cold though. :)

I don't normally even notice the cold , I spend most of my life outside ,I'm either , working , shooting , or , at the woodland, and I rarely wear more than a fleece even in the coldest weather , dave g is probably right , it's just because I've been rough.

34 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

I don't think you should be out in that yet matey.

Tizz cold and I for one do not want to be out in it. Coldest I can remember being was on a destroyer in the first cod war 1958 Weather was terrible and every wave  that came over the bows left a coat of ice on everything.  Became so dangerous chipping it off with chipping hammers we went up into the pack ice where it was calmer to get the ice off. Lovely job. The fishing fleet we were protecting were actually fishing in it. Real sailors.

2 hours ago, old'un said:

This is a map showing air humidity at the moment, it's cold but very drying air. Gamecover Maize is often combined in this sort of weather as the moisture drops right off.

Screenshot_20210212-203106_Facebook.jpg