Dog theft

ilovemyheckler

I have read alot about dog theft recently and in particular belittle signs that are left outside properties.

Is this just "urban myth" or is ir real?

The only things I have found are " a friend of a friend said....", or its mentioned on social media so sounds like urban myth.

However, a few weeks ago the little sign (about 2cm x 2cm) as attached photograph appeared on a lampost outside our house. It is made of plastic and is very reflective. There is also one on a fence post next to a path that leads to a field where I exercise my dogs. 

I have removed them and wire brushed off all the residue from the adhesive and will spray paint to match as close as possible the colour of the lamp post and fence post.

What do you think these could be, anything to be concernec about or not?

Target.jpg

That makes sense. No road or path alterations as such but we are on a new development. We are in phase 1 and they are currently building phase 4.

Spine road hasn't been adopted yet so could be to do with that.

I guess these are for the "new" single person operated levels? In my day they need two people - one operating the level and one the staff!

If you think about the GPS tech in the average mobile phone now (and getting a SIM card for cash from Tesco’s) why would people risk exposing themselves or notifying their intended target by manually marking any area?

Also, the bottom line of most activities is money. There isn’t a benevolent society of house breakers or dog-nappers, publicly marking targets for a wider criminal community - where’s the pay off for the marker?

Also, as above, why not take a photo or just text the address? Indeed there’s a million end of end encryption apps. Even a basic code would not see the man on the ground exposed ‘drop flyer to No 1 Acacia Road’. Gets stopped - what you doing, ‘I run a gardening business and was texting myself details of houses that looked like they needed gardening work’.

The options outside of manually marking an area are endless.

So, in my eyes it’s obvious and total and utter BS on any analysis and why this nonsense flys round the internet still is just beyond me.

Have we lost all free thought and the ability to independently analyse? 

Mass hysteria imo.

If you ever ask the people spouting about it most if they actually know anybody that has had a dog stolen they don't.

Fake news, fear spreading nonsense pedalled on facebook. It surprises me how many seemingly sensible people are repeatedly willing to believe this stuff.

Yes dogs get stolen but not on the scale these people would have you believe. All the cable ties left over from long since perished posters in the street have suddenly become secret signs. Some of them I am convinced put the zip ties there themselves and have forgotten they did.

25 minutes ago, 39TDS said:

Mass hysteria imo.

If you ever ask the people spouting about it most if they actually know anybody that has had a dog stolen they don't.

Fake news, fear spreading nonsense pedalled on facebook. It surprises me how many seemingly sensible people are repeatedly willing to believe this stuff.

Yes dogs get stolen but not on the scale these people would have you believe. All the cable ties left over from long since perished posters in the street have suddenly become secret signs. Some of them I am convinced put the zip ties there themselves and have forgotten they did.

Perfectly put, that is the power of Facebook 99% of the stuff written on there is **** but people believe it.