Birds in big numbers.

dead eye alan

Watching the rape this week and the birds have built up to 4 very large flocks, the gas guns are out and the birds have already got used to them. As the guns go off ( 2 in the large field and 1 in the small field that I shot last week ) The birds get up and swirl around and roost in the large oak trees that are between the 2 fields. After just a couple of minuets thy start to trickle back down to feed. So todays cunning plan ------ not going too early as it will be very cold so not be out too long 2 magnets and a flapper a dozen shells the 20 bore hush power and 60 cartridges ( that's all I have! )  Will report back later hold your breath for me. 😀

Today is as cold , if not colder than any day this last week , took my dog out first thing for an hour and the cold wind made your head ache and difficult to breath , minus two in my motor but the wind chill would be around minus 6 / 7 , that alone would put me off sitting on some wind swept hedge but the biggest problem I have got would be getting anywhere near the field , yesterday when I went for a look the tracks running down to it were blocked with snow drifts , the wind blew the fine snow off the fields and filled up the lanes and tracks , this alone would made it hard just to walk to the field let alone carrying a load of gear , tomorrow the weather should break with milder wind coming in , this time next week all this cold weather could be a distant memory and decoying can commence , hopefully .

12 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Today is as cold , if not colder than any day this last week , took my dog out first thing for an hour and the cold wind made your head ache and difficult to breath , minus two in my motor but the wind chill would be around minus 6 / 7 , that alone would put me off sitting on some wind swept hedge but the biggest problem I have got would be getting anywhere near the field , yesterday when I went for a look the tracks running down to it were blocked with snow drifts , the wind blew the fine snow off the fields and filled up the lanes and tracks , this alone would made it hard just to walk to the field let alone carrying a load of gear , tomorrow the weather should break with milder wind coming in , this time next week all this cold weather could be a distant memory and decoying can commence , hopefully .

+1 to that Marsh man, I haven't been out since the first snow, way too cold for me, apart from the problems of getting down to the area where we are needed and coping with the sea of mud , I will be waiting for some change in the conditions before I venture out again. 

39 minutes ago, lakeside1000 said:

+1 to that Marsh man, I haven't been out since the first snow, way too cold for me, apart from the problems of getting down to the area where we are needed and coping with the sea of mud , I will be waiting for some change in the conditions before I venture out again. 

The only good thing about this bitter cold is the ground is like concrete and that makes easy walking with the gear.

I sat in one of my permanent hides yesterday, lofted a few crows and a pigeon pattern on the ground.

Birds must have been hungry as even my shooting didn't put them off. Just kept coming till I was out of time.

So cold de lofting I was in real agony with my joints. Don't think I could have set up and taken down a hide due to wind chill factor. 

More gulls than crows and pigeon combined but alas not on GL so they're still there. 

20210213_191323.jpg

9 hours ago, old'un said:

The only good thing about this bitter cold is the ground is like concrete and that makes easy walking with the gear.

Before the snow we have had more or less non stop rain , this have left flooded fields and tracks full of water , now for the past few days we have had a strong wind frost , this froze the water over and then the snow came and covered the water up , on top of that the wind was that strong it left drifts in gateways and any gaps in the hedge , in other words it is a nightmare trying to walk any distance and the ole legs are not as stable as they once were . roll on next week when we should be in milder conditions .

On 13/02/2021 at 07:49, dead eye alan said:

Watching the rape this week and the birds have built up to 4 very large flocks, the gas guns are out and the birds have already got used to them. As the guns go off ( 2 in the large field and 1 in the small field that I shot last week ) The birds get up and swirl around and roost in the large oak trees that are between the 2 fields. After just a couple of minuets thy start to trickle back down to feed. So todays cunning plan ------ not going too early as it will be very cold so not be out too long 2 magnets and a flapper a dozen shells the 20 bore hush power and 60 cartridges ( that's all I have! )  Will report back later hold your breath for me. 😀

But did you make it back??

Pigeon shooters must be nuts, it was viciously cold Saturday and cold with high gusting winds on Sunday. 

Then Monday was 10°C and lovely,  you couldn't make it up.