PCP Air rifles and Cold Weather ???

oldypigeonpopper

Hello, as above, so despite the weather being minus 1 down to 4ย  and a cold wind I ventured out to try for some more rats, little did I realise the effect it would have on my HW 110, it never seem to be the same many years ago with a AA 410, anyway after one shot I realised something was wrong, low power, low on guage but it was showing 180 bar when I left to go to farm, another 2 shots and gave up, got back home with heating on put rifle over rad on a cloth and after a while guage returned to just under 180, I know steel is effected by cold weather but the 110 breach is man made material , or is it the weather on breathing air we all use in PCP Air rifles, oh and I am not going out again until it's warmer ๐Ÿ™„๐Ÿ˜

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my experiences using an HW100,,,, I've been out in all weathers/temperatures/frosts/snow etc etc and my gun never faltered on its accuracy. Don't know about the materials used for the HW110 internals so can't comment on that, only to say if there are metal and plastic components trying to work in harmony, I'd suspect that it would affect something in the firing cycle ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Also to add,,,, never place a gun of any sort directly near a heat-source,,,, but I'm sure you know that ๐Ÿ˜‰

1 hour ago, JKD said:

Just my experiences using an HW100,,,, I've been out in all weathers/temperatures/frosts/snow etc etc and my gun never faltered on its accuracy. Don't know about the materials used for the HW110 internals so can't comment on that, only to say if there are metal and plastic components trying to work in harmony, I'd suspect that it would affect something in the firing cycle ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

Also to add,,,, never place a gun of any sort directly near a heat-source,,,, but I'm sure you know that ๐Ÿ˜‰

Hello, thanks to reply, that's interesting, not sure myself on that but my AA 410 never had problems, always use a thick towel on rad, with 2 small bags to keep a good height,

44 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, thanks to reply, that's interesting, not sure myself on that but my AA 410 never had problems, always use a thick towel on rad, with 2 small bags to keep a good height,

The idea is to [dry your gun] put in a warm place and dry slowly as the wood could dry out too much and split/warp? if placed very near or directly upon a heat source, especially a radiator. If very wet, remove the action from the stock and place both on a towel, on a table in a warm room,,,, I thought this was common knowledge ๐Ÿค”

As for the air pressure issue,,,, there doesn't seem to be many queries regarding this,,,, perhaps because there are more fairweather shooters around now, so we don't hear of this much ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜…

ย 

2 hours ago, Mice! said:

Have you tried firing a few shots in the garden while its cold? Or chrono a few?

I've been out this week but didn't have any issues.

Hello, it's not the cold , looks like I was sold the 110 with the power problem, ๐Ÿ™„, I took seller at his word ( working perfect ) , how wrong , and no second owner warranty, I still have his number and will phone Monday but looks like I have been duped and that's being polite ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘Ž

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, it's not the cold , looks like I was sold the 110 with the power problem, ๐Ÿ™„, I took seller at his word ( working perfect ) , how wrong , and no second owner warranty, I still have his number and will phone Monday but looks like I have been duped and that's being polite ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ‘Ž

Oh brown stuff, hopefully an easy fix?

35 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

it may well have been working perfectly when he sold it, is this the first time you have used/shot the rifle?

33 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

To be fair many things aren't going to work as normal in sub freezing temperatures, car door locks, batteries just for a couple, but how many people will have usedย air rifles at minus 5 ish?

Hello, yea that was the other problem , duff battery, just hope ATS honour warranty ๐Ÿค”

25 minutes ago, old'un said:

it may well have been working perfectly when he sold it, is this the first time you have used/shot the rifle?

Hello, it was filled and I used less than 30 pellets to realise power issue, it's not as though I do not know about PCPs but I took sellers word as could not try chrono,ย 

35 minutes ago, old'un said:

Hello, yes but after 30 shots I realised the power issue so seller must have known, I thought when new last July the problem was sorted, he said still in warranty so that should have given me a hint, no warranty for second hand owners, ah well I will get it sorted , thanks to all repliesย 

Moving a cylinder of air from indoors at 20C and 180 bar to minus 5C outdoors will reduce the pressure in the cylinder to 165 bar. The regulated pressure will not be changed by the low temperature of the air in the cylinder. The cold may affect working parts in some other way, of course, and not just on the gunย  ๐Ÿ™‚

7 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, yes but after 30 shots I realised the power issue so seller must have known, I thought when new last July the problem was sorted, he said still in warranty so that should have given me a hint, no warranty for second hand owners, ah well I will get it sorted , thanks to all repliesย 

Hello, I had a PM from Sam on here who said another HW 110 K owner had the same problem with his in this cold weather so all might not be lost in thinking mine has a low power fault, I shall try it again next week as forecast a warmย  spell of weather butย  some rain, cheers

10 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, I had a PM from Sam on here who said another HW 110 K owner had the same problem with his in this cold weather so all might not be lost in thinking mine has a low power fault, I shall try it again next week as forecast a warmย  spell of weather butย  some rain, cheers

You need to check it over a chrono. Indoors first, while the gun is 'warm', then when it's cold. Leave it out in the shed or garage ? Good luck ๐Ÿ˜‰

Iย  was out with my 110 yesterday , and boy was it cold in the wind . I got one squirrel , from the relative comfort of the shed in the woods.ย 

But, I had to correct the zero when I set up,ย  as it had dropped a little , I think probably due to the cold!

I hope you get yours sorted . I love mine dearly.

4 minutes ago, Longbower said:

Iย  was out with my 110 yesterday , and boy was it cold in the wind . I got one squirrel , from the relative comfort of the shed in the woods.ย 

But, I had to correct the zero when I set up,ย  as it had dropped a little , I think probably due to the cold!

I hope you get yours sorted . I love mine dearly.

Hello, ok that's interesting, I just had an idea, going to try a hand warmer inside the rifle case, I shall put it in a cloth bag so not to get to hot inside bag, this is aย  first HW PCP having quite a few makes over 30 plus years, doing some research seems the 100s a prone to temp change, never seem to happen in previous cold winters but maybe I never noticed , anyway it's all interesting to get other PW members views, I emailed Mel reference HW 100 .co.uk so see what he says and he is an expert on these air rifles, cheers

You normally lose a little power in the cold, and gain when it's hot, so need to be aware of really hot days taking you over the 12ft/lbs.

I wouldn't expect to see much of a difference shooting at 20-25mtrs but 35 plus it would have an effect.

Be interesting to do a chrono check, but it's too cold and windy out for me to be bothered getting things out ๐Ÿ˜

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok that's interesting, I just had an idea, going to try a hand warmer inside the rifle case, I shall put it in a cloth bag so not to get to hot inside bag, this is aย  first HW PCP having quite a few makes over 30 plus years, doing some research seems the 100s a prone to temp change, never seem to happen in previous cold winters but maybe I never noticed , anyway it's all interesting to get other PW members views, I emailed Mel reference HW 100 .co.uk so see what he says and he is an expert on these air rifles, and recieved a reply from Mel and he said cold weather will effect a PCP, so will try my hand warmer idea,ย  cheers

Hello, thinking about the hand warmer I used to do that with CO2 capsules when I had a ratty pistol, it did make a difference in winter,ย 

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, ok that's interesting, I just had an idea, going to try a hand warmer inside the rifle case, I shall put it in a cloth bag so not to get to hot inside bag, this is aย  first HW PCP having quite a few makes over 30 plus years, doing some research seems the 100s a prone to temp change, never seem to happen in previous cold winters but maybe I never noticed , anyway it's all interesting to get other PW members views, I emailed Mel reference HW 100 .co.uk so see what he says and he is an expert on these air rifles, cheers

As I said on a previous reply, I've used my HW100 in all temperatures,,,, -6ยฐ up to +30ยฐ, and checked my 30yd zero on each session,,,, never faltered. So this phenomenon can't happen to all guns ๐Ÿค”

The best way to check yours is as I said earlier, and Mice said too,,,, chrono it. This will show any variations in output,,,, much better than shooting at a target where you may be affected by the cold, not only the gun ๐Ÿ˜

Also, just as an afterthought,,,, you said your HW110 has some "man-made components". Could it be that the scope rail is being affected by the cold ?

One of the known issues with the hw100 is the breech block .it has a very large vertical cut out where the large magazine sits .the temperature fluctuationsย  make the breach expand and contract and effect the scope that sits above it .

This leads to poi movement .

There are aftermarket rails that clamp over the top of the magazine thats supposed to fix the issueย  .

Its a well known problem .

Screenshot_20210214-144134_Chrome.jpg